• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of Prey? Kent, England. (1 Viewer)

TheCyclingMod

United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can ID this bird for me.

It was quite a way in the distance yesterday so it's not an ideal photo to ID from, I apologise. It looked absolutely huge even from a distance.

Thanks in advance.

_DSF0923.jpg

Hello,

welcome to birdforum!

a Raven for me, too.
And I agree with all, that, haze, sharpening artefacts and single picture effects makes confident identification difficult. But my first impression was: is this really necessary here?
  • long, wedge shaped tail
  • the right proportions of the wings in relation to the tail and body
  • the right bill shape can just be guessed. Yes, wishful thinking. But a plausible explanation is, that its indeed a Raven.
Or do I squeeze too much out of this picture?
Do you have more pictures?

More pics needed from another angle to clinch it, but I'm pretty sure this is a Carrion Crow. Apart from the mentioned likeliness of leucism in C. corone versus corax head shape (though moulting) and even shape of wings and tail. A spread tail of course is rounded like this in corone but in raven it would be even more pointed, probably, in such a side view. And longer, proportionally.

I'm thinking Raven.

I've edited the OPs original image (hope that's okay) and I think the brightness of the sky affects the true outline of the bird and therefore I think I can see a decent throat and build of a Raven.

Also, I've uploaded an image of my own of Raven's having a disagreement - you can see the shine on the top bird's wings and this was a cloudy day.

I've seen this bright shine on Raven's wings before and it is not leucism - although I understand that that was mentioned with regards to CC and not Ravens.

Attachments

• _DSF0923 edit.jpg
    _DSF0923 edit.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 16
  • ravens fighting.jpg
    ravens fighting.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 16
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back