• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of prey, Khao Yai National Park, Thailand (1 Viewer)

And...surely it's an Osprey.

Apart from the face pattern, the white leading edge on the inner wing is distinctive, I think (as can be seen in Earnest Lad's improved photo in #16). And everything else fits, too. Added two photos of mine, of which I think the first looks just like the OP's photo.

Although if Tom, Larry and Andy don't see it as an Osprey straight off, I'm a bit worried...

View attachment 1497161View attachment 1497162
Hand looks too full, tail looks a tiny bit too long, the ratio of tail projection vs head projection looks a bit too uneven (not saying it's exactly even in Osprey, just more so than in the OP's bird).

Hand looks too full, tail looks a tiny bit too long, the ratio of tail projection vs head projection looks a bit too uneven (not saying it's exactly even in Osprey, just more so than in the OP's bird).
And also Butty
No, it doesn't, e.g. plumage-patterns of upperwing-coverts, tail, head.
I have very little experience of birds in Thailand and that region.

However, I would just like to say that, although it's true that Osprey in normal view has a narrow-looking wing, in my experience, once it's caught a fish or maybe thinks it will, then it looks quite different from below or - difficult to see - above.

Photos one and two - the same bird with the two photos a few seconds apart.

And a few other Osprey photos where they don't look to have such narrow wing

230217036 Nara Ponds.JPG230217037 Nara Ponds.JPG

180211038 Miike.JPG191225004 Nara Ponds.JPG230217036 Nara Ponds.JPG180222026 Nara Ponds.JPG180222027 Nara Ponds.JPG

And also Butty

However, I would just like to say that, although it's true that Osprey in normal view has a narrow-looking wing, in my experience, once it's caught a fish or maybe thinks it will, then it looks quite different from below or - difficult to see - above.

I think you were missing my point, maybe I was being too cryptic. It's not just the overall breadth of the wing. Osprey, as visible in your series of images, should have wings that taper at the hand and end in relatively few "fingers". As illustrated by your own pictures, this taper is a consistent feature. The OP's bird, on the other hand, has wings that are nearly uniformly broad and I'm counting six visible primaries instead of the four or five (depending on how you count, or how the wing is articulated) seen on Osprey.

Mac, did you check the link in post 15? looks a good deal better match than Osprey to my eyes -- though I also do not have experience from east Asia.
Niels

And...surely it's an Osprey.

Apart from the face pattern, the white leading edge on the inner wing is distinctive, I think (as can be seen in Earnest Lad's improved photo in #16). And everything else fits, too. Added two photos of mine, of which I think the first looks just like the OP's photo.

Although if Tom, Larry and Andy don't see it as an Osprey straight off, I'm a bit worried...

View attachment 1497161View attachment 1497162
Thanks for posting those. They suggest multiple structural differences to the OP's bird, at least for me (head shape, relative tail length, breadth of wings etc)

In all of the photos you have posted here (#9) the bird is about 5% of the pixels and sky is about 95%. So if we look at your photos we have to pay (our ISP) to download all your blue sky pixels. So, for the future, may I request that you cut/crop the bird from the photo and just post the bird! Even if they are your friend's photos, you can do this after you have got them from her. The reason your photos do not appear as thumbnails but as blue image / attachment files is because they are above the BirdForum size limit.
Ok, sure, will bear in mind for next time 👍🏼

And also Butty

Your point about how Osprey wings can look different depending on how it's carrying them was what originally made me think it was a possibility. Plus I couldn't think what else it could be, nothing else seemed to fit. But it still didn't feel quite right for Osprey, hence my asking on here.

Once Larry suggested the possibility of juv Rufous-bellied Eagle though, it all clicked - and quite clear to me now that that's what it is

(You can tell I don't come on here often - I've only just figured out what OP means :LOL:)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back