• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Song Recorded in Songs. (1 Viewer)

My eldest daughter played me a track called Kings and Queens by a band called Thirty Seconds from Mars. It has an eagle [unknown type] calling at the very begining.

Si.

Thanks for that Andrew. Interesting, but I agree with you a bit new age even a touch like hotel lounge type music.

Si.

Listening to the radio early this morning I picked up on gull sounds in Otis Reddings classic Dock of the Bay. No matter how often I have heard this song, it completely slipped my radar with regards to adding it to this thread. Not sure which type of gulls they are though.

Si.

Well now. I strongly recommend you listen closely to both albums by the Imagined Village. Given that the second one is on Emmerson Corncrake Constantine records that might give you a clue. That's Mark Constantine, of the Sound Approach to Birding. The Corncrake should need little introduction. And Simon Emmerson of Working Week, producer with Realword/Gabriel/Baaba Maal and of course the man behind Afro Celt Soundsystem and now, with input from Paul Weller, Billy Bragg and many more, the founder of the Imagined Village. And a bit of a birder. You can get quite a list from Simon's various albums ... I spent a bit of time on tour with AfroCelts in the 90s and Godwits were a regular topic of conversation on the tour bus ...

Have a listen to this ...

http://www.mixcloud.com/folkradiouk...m=web&utm_campaign=flash_links&utm_term=title

Hi Steve. The whole recording of Nightingale and RAF bombers can be heard on the excellent Nightingales:A Celebration CD issued by the BTO a few years ago. Recorded [illegally because of censorship] by the BBC in Surrey in May 1942 one can hear a nightingale singing merrily away to itself amid the din of Lancaster and Wellington bombers passing overhead on their way to a raid over Germany. To me it remains one of the most amazing recordings of birdsong ever made, a real war and peace scenario. I presume Manfred Manns Earth Band used a part of the same recording on a track of theirs.

Si.

Hi Steve. The whole recording of Nightingale and RAF bombers can be heard on the excellent Nightingales:A Celebration CD issued by the BTO a few years ago. Recorded [illegally because of censorship] by the BBC in Surrey in May 1942 one can hear a nightingale singing merrily away to itself amid the din of Lancaster and Wellington bombers passing overhead on their way to a raid over Germany. To me it remains one of the most amazing recordings of birdsong ever made, a real war and peace scenario. I presume Manfred Manns Earth Band used a part of the same recording on a track of theirs.

Si.

Si you are right.

Taken from Wikki

The title of this album was inspired by a recording made in Surrey, England during the Second World War, by an ornithologist intending to record Nightingales. The bombers flew over at the same time and were recorded by accident. The recording has been incorporated in 'As Above, So Below'". - Manfred Mann 1975[1] (In fact, the recording was made on the 19th May 1942 by a BBC sound engineer for the BBC. Intending to capture the nightingale's song he also, by accident, recorded the sound of RAF bombers on their way to attack Mannheim, Germany.)

Just thought I'd dig out this old thread again.
Check out Radioheads new album The King of Limbs. At the start of the track Give up the Ghost, there is what sounds like a distorted recording of a chaffinch song. It could well be something else of course as this band are well into sound distortions.
Any Radioheaders out there know any different?

Si.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back