• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird sound recording: question about external power and microphones (1 Viewer)

leonardo_simon

my set up is a Tascam DR-05x with a Rode videomic NTG microphone.

I would like to do overnight recordings — I’ve connected the Tascam to a USB power bank which keeps it going all night and longer (20mAh).

my question is “will this keep the microphone charged too??” (e.g. via the 3.5mm audio lead) or do i need to have another lead from the USB powerbank to the microphone? (The microphone has a rechargeable internal battery which is claimed to last 11hrs, but it doesn’t last that long in the current cold weather)

the 3.5mm lead has 4 separate ’connections’ on it, so I think it could deliver power…..

thanks !

The Rode will keep charged if it is plugged in "digitally" via USB-C but not if it is plugged in "analoglly" which will be the case with your Tascam. It will sense the power state of the Tascam and mic will power off when the recorder does but that doesn't really help you.

I would question using a directional microphone for noc-mig in the first place. Surely you want to capture sound from the greatest area of sky you can. Using the built in omni mics on the Tascam may give you better results.

Hi Mono, thanks for that - most appreciated. I’ll connect the usb charger to the mic too.

by the way, I’m not doing nocmig. I’m trying to record what’s going on in a reedbed overnight and get the best bittern recordings — I have a guess where he may be …..

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back