• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird that sounds like it's saying "Aujourd'HUI"? or like "Oh-Orr-EEEE" :) (1 Viewer)

Margaret P.

United States
Hi everyone! I live in Northern Virginia and have been wondering forever about the identity of a specific bird I have been hearing in my yard and local parks for several years. It seems most active in the spring, and it's song sounds like "aujourd'hui" (French word for today, or for non-french speakers, like oh-Orr-EEEEE)? The first syllable starts a bit lower, then it raises with each syllable and also intensity to the end (if you played it on a piano, its like middle E, A, then E one octave higher, and the "EEEE" is louder and carried out longer. I have seen one once, and it was a small, unassuming plain brown bird. My family is also dying to know. Anyone have any ideas? I looked up the Carolina Wren, and while we have those too, I don't think that's it. Thank you!

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I’m sorry I can’t help but hopefully someone will know.

Hi there Margaret and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Is there any way you can record the call and upload it here? That would help tremendously.

Hi Margaret and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Check out Red-winged Blackbird. They have a song that sounds like what you are describing, although it can be tricky to tell sometimes based on a written description. The females and young can be brownish and rather nondescript. Look at a picture of a male as they are cool looking and should be easier to recognize if you encounter one.

Check out Red-winged Blackbird. They have a song that sounds like what you are describing, although it can be tricky to tell sometimes based on a written description. The females and young can be brownish and rather nondescript. Look at a picture of a male as they are cool looking and should be easier to recognize if you encounter one.
OMG, YES!! That is it! It's a female Red-Winged Blackbird. I see and hear the males around too, but the different brown appearance of the female totally threw me off. Mystery solved, thank you so much!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back