• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birder in Belize (1 Viewer)

wildtracks

Hi to All..my name is Zoe

I'm a birder living in Belize for the last 17 years (originally from Britain), involved in conservation in the country. Amongst other tasks, my husband and I co-manage a 2,000 acre tropical forest reserve with the local community, with a great variety of native birds (my favourites being the Keel billed Toucan and Great Curassow and Ferruginous Pygmy Owl and.....hard to choose really!). Also an important over wintering spot and passing through place for North American migrants. Other tasks include, at the moment, rehabilitation of orphan manatees (we have one in at the moment...lots of bottle feeding).

Having only just discovered it, I'm looking forward to participating in BirdForum in the future

Hi Wildtracks,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome to Bird Forum :t:

Whilst we don't have too many members from your adopted area, you have now joined a Worldwide birding community.

I look forward to hearing about the birds in your part of the World.

See you around.

Hi Zoe,

Welcome to Birdforum, Your job sounds really interesting and probably very time consuming as well !
I hope that you have a camera and can take some photos of these wonderful creatures you come accross I think a lot of people would love to see some of these exotics in the gallery.

Thanks for the welcome messages - makes me feel right at home...and I finally managed to get the hang of the avatar thingy!

Zoe

Hi Wildtracks,
And welcome from Mexico. We've been wanting to visit Belize to go birding but it is quite a trip from Campeche. Looking forward to hearing about your bird sightings in Belize.

Tervetuloa from Finland. -Some years ago there was a half-Finnish family that moved to Belize in order to "live in paradise". The woman kept a diary in Finnish newspaper & published later also a book. They returned disappointed after one year. I would try that, though.. :)

Wow, wildtracks. You are in a very beautiful place with mother nature all around you.
Welcome to this excellent forum where I log in several times a day since joining last week!!

See you around.

MarkieD
from Bedfordshire and Guyana

Welcome, Zoe! My family is hoping to go on a mission trip to Belize soon. I am fascinated by the birds of Central and South America! :clap: Sounds like a great place to live!

Michael

Welcome to BF

Belize is a beautiful and easy place to go birding in and it has lovely people and birds - and the beer's good too.

We had a wonderful few weeks there last year and you can always relax on the Cays when the birding gets too much for you.

and Keel-billed Toucan.....what a bird!

Tim Allwood said:
Welcome to BF

Belize is a beautiful and easy place to go birding in and it has lovely people and birds - and the beer's good too.

We had a wonderful few weeks there last year and you can always relax on the Cays when the birding gets too much for you.

and Keel-billed Toucan.....what a bird!

OK, here is where I get in trouble. I plan to go birding in Belize next February. Already purchased the Birds of Belize. I know the birds are great. Still a little short on info about the "good beer"

Belikin it's called Michael

it's quite strong and cheaply priced. :bounce:

there is also a Black Beer (like a stout or guinness B :) ) but a few of thos emight be a bit much after a very hot days birding...... :C

Cashew Nut wine is lethal too if you can find it. we stayed at Crooked Tree for some of our stay where they harvest cashews (beautiful place by a large lake with idyllic village life) with the local pastor and his wife. Black-collared Hawks from your hammock......

Hi to all...particularly Tim and Michael

Belikin is great (the non stout kind), but not as good as the birds...(and watch out for the hang-over from the rum!). Also, February should give you good weather and relatively good migrants. Excellent book - Birds of Belize...I wish it had been around when I first moved out here - it would have saved a lot of headaches!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back