• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding around baghdad (4 Viewers)

Just caught up to this thread - fascinating and, indeed, surreal.

Thank you very much. Hope you are home safe and avoiding the grizzlies.

Thanks again for everyone's kind comments. I'm actually still in Kuwait waiting for follow-on air to the good old USA. The military camp where I'm waiting has a small holding pond for rain collection and with Spring migration well underway in this part of the world, it's been a good place to drink a morning cup of coffee and read the Stars and Stripes (the military newspaper). I've identified 20 different birds since arriving in Kuwait and been able to photograph some seen in Iraq that were too quick for me up there. I'll post a follow up once I get home that will include some of the pictures that might be of interest. The Blue Rock Thrush here was kind enough to wait while I shot a digital photo through my binoculars. I've also got prett good photos of all three of the local yellow wagtails (Citrine, Grey and Yellow). Pied Wheatears are abundant, as are White Wagtails and House Sparrows. I took one photo of a brownish dove with a rose colored neck and head. The throat had brown spots and the wings had a hint of grey-blue. I'm assuming it's a Laughing Dove but I may post the picture for a better ID later. I've still got a few more days associated with this trip before I have to start worrying about the bears back home.

Take care,

Joe H

P.S. added 11 March 2006: I've arrived safely back home in Alaska after a long plane ride and a couple of days in El Paso, Texas (where I did manage to see White-winged Doves, Mountain Chickadees and a Canyon Towhee - all new to me). While in Kuwait I managed to photograph some new species and here are some pictures: Laughing Dove, Blue Rock Thrush and Spanish Sparrow. I'm glad to be back home safely.

Attachments

• Laughing Dove.jpg
    Laughing Dove.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Blue Rock Thrush.jpg
    Blue Rock Thrush.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Spanish Sparow.jpg
    Spanish Sparow.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Heading over in May

Joe,

I'm going to be in Baghdad (and maybe other places) in May. Should I bring my scope in addition to the binocs? Anything else you recommend I bring, birding-wise? I've already ordered my birding books online...

Greetings S. Michaud,

I brought a spotting scope and travel tripod but would only recommend them if you are going to be anywhere near the larger lakes on the Camp Victory Complex around the Baghdad Airport. I don't think the Green Zone has large enough ponds to warrant the extra weight. There should still be some ducks and shorebirds around in May, but they will start leaving for the summer fairly soon I suspect. I arrived in Mid-Oct and there were no ducks and only the Spur-winged and Red-wattled plovers around. If you will be there for a 12 month rotation, I'd definitely bring them, if for no other reason, because you may want to photograph some of the birds you've been seeing all year. Make sure to check out the Birding Babylon Blog, he has a lot of good info on his site. Good luck to you.

Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back