• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Arunchal pradesh (1 Viewer)

woodrip

Difficult now for solo travellers to obtain Inner line permits for travel in Arunchal pradesh since India has now tightened up on security. Solution seems to hire a car and driver separately to visit Eagle nest area, mishmi hills area and a visit East to Walong to see the Heron. Does anyone have contacts for drivers who know the birding routine and could accompany a solo birder for 7 days plus in any of the sites? ( I know a driver working in the Eaglenest/Mandala region but it doesn't help because I have to get there first and very busy in April)

We hired a car plus driver for Eaglenest through Gaurav at Eaglenest Birding. The driver was used to birding groups so was familiar with logistics and some of the sites along the road. Gaurav also got our permits.

We arranged a car and driver for Mishmi through Niltupal at Northeast India birding tours. He also sorted permits at very short notice as there was a problem with the dates on our original permits. We figured it made sense to transfer by overnight bus rather than have a single vehicle for both.

Maybe I was given incorrect information, but I've been told that foreign tourists aren't allowed to visit Walong.

Thanks Duncan, I will contact the two agents to see what they can offer.
Made a mistake earlier because its the Protected area permit PAP (for foreigners) which I meant and will have difficulty getting not ILP. Same problem though.
Not found anything on internet about restrictions on travel to Walong other than separate PAP is needed. Guess I will only find out when I apply.

I messaged a local guide in June 2022 about access to Walong and he said it wasn't possible for foreign tourists. I'd ask Niltupal and see what he says.

I messaged a local guide in June 2022 about access to Walong and he said it wasn't possible for foreign tourists. I'd ask Niltupal and see what he says.
This could (hopefully) be a temporary measure as I remember that getting permits in Spring 2022 was tricky, even for the usual touristy destinations within Arunachal.

This could (hopefully) be a temporary measure as I remember that getting permits in Spring 2022 was tricky, even for the usual touristy destinations within Arunachal.
Hopefully! It's India so anything is possible... especially with the right contacts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back