• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding at Kruger camps, South Africa (1 Viewer)

I was there on a solo trip last year and I quite enjoyed the drive from joburg to the camp, it took me 4.5 hours to Pretoriskop and the last couple of hours are through quite pretty countryside. The roads were all very good and very quiet (coming from the UK!) The shops at the camps are OK, pricing is pretty good considering but it's definitely worth looking for a pick&pay en route to the park for non perishables, there will be much more choice.

I really liked Skukuza, the camp is good and the hide really close to camp at Lake Panic was brilliant and is well worth sneaking out to as early as you can, although I'd say it's far better to suffer the pain and get the family up too; most of my cat sightings were in the first hour or so, I'd be in the queue to leave camp 10 minutes before it opened every morning!

Satara is a lot smaller but I had some brilliant sightings nearby, including wild dog, all the big cats and rhino plus ground hornbill and ostrich. The bird hide at Nwanetsi also lovely, although quieter for me than @ Panic Lake (and an hour or so away from camp). I paid for a brilliant night drive from Satara.

I was there in April / May so everything was very green, you might see more in August because it'll be dryer. I'm not an expert in any way but will help if I can - ping me if you have any other questions!
Thanks Mike,

Yeah, I may have to balance getting some birding in vs getting the family out sin e birding from the car may be less leisurely with three non birders in the car!

I definitely want to optimize the time to see the cats, but not sure I want to enroll in the stories of people leaving their cars at the gate overnight (akin to leaving a towel on the sun lounger) so they can be at the front before the gate opens.

If bird activity in August in the camps is still ok, I may chance it and bird after the morning game drive.

Decisions, decisions.

😃

If you want to go to extremes you are not safe in your car, or even your chalet in a camp for that matter. We had a snake in our chalet on one occasion which scared my wife to a near heart attack when she lifted a bag and it was underneath it! It turned out to be harmless but might not have been. Elephants have been know to attack cars, baboons and monkeys raid your food given a chance. An Elephant was wandering around Afsaal picnic site the other day and not long ago a Spotted Hyena was actually in the ladies toilets in Tshokwane picnic site.
However, incidents of fatal attacks or even serious incidents such as snake bites within the park are very few indeed, the drive from J'berg to KNP has many fatalities every year as has no doubt the road to your departure airport in the UK.
Let's not put things out of perspective!
Dave,

Yeah, out in the bush, common sense makes sense. Did anyone have any issues spotlighting around Camps at night - Satara has an African Wildcat and obviously some owls will be looked for. I plan on staying on paths and not kicking around in the bushes at night even if scorpions and snakes are uncommon.

I definitely found mammal watching better at first and last light and tried to be front/back of the queue. I was there in their winter too. I found the camps got lively mid-morning but tbh I mostly wasn't around first thing as I was usually driving around. Visiting other camps that you are not staying in no problem at all. People will grab lunch at the nearest one. It can get bloody cold at night in August - especially on a night drive and we certainly experienced at least one frost. I took a thin down jacket and it certainly wasn't overkill.

Have a great time Julian. It is a fantastic place.

Dave,

Yeah, out in the bush, common sense makes sense. Did anyone have any issues spotlighting around Camps at night - Satara has an African Wildcat and obviously some owls will be looked for. I plan on staying on paths and not kicking around in the bushes at night even if scorpions and snakes are uncommon.
Snake sightings seem to be rare in August. Just use common sense, as when spotlighting anywhere, especially in the tropics, and wear proper shoes and log trousers. Galagos are probably the main target at night in the camps: both species are fairly easy.

Thanks Mike,

Yeah, I may have to balance getting some birding in vs getting the family out sin e birding from the car may be less leisurely with three non birders in the car!

I definitely want to optimize the time to see the cats, but not sure I want to enroll in the stories of people leaving their cars at the gate overnight (akin to leaving a towel on the sun lounger) so they can be at the front before the gate opens.

If bird activity in August in the camps is still ok, I may chance it and bird after the morning game drive.

Decisions, decisions.

😃
I didn't see anyone doing that with their car - I was normally there 10 minutes before opening time and was never more than 5-10 cars back from the entrance. When it opens everyone splits in different directions so you're normally car 2 or 3, which I thought was perfect because it multiplies the chances of someone spotting something before you drive past, and the road will be clear enough for you to park with a view! Being car 1 was quite high pressure.... :D

I didn't see anyone doing that with their car - I was normally there 10 minutes before opening time and was never more than 5-10 cars back from the entrance. When it opens everyone splits in different directions so you're normally car 2 or 3, which I thought was perfect because it multiplies the chances of someone spotting something before you drive past, and the road will be clear enough for you to park with a view! Being car 1 was quite high pressure.... :D
I found the same.

For a trip in August, I plan to bird early mornings at the rest camps before the family stirs.

Anyone recommend any specific areas of the camps at Skukuza at Satara, or is it a matter of just wandering around since they may not be as spread out as I expect?

Any spots for owls at those camps especially Pel's fishing owl?

Our itinerary changed and now we will drive to Kruger from Johannesburg. Drive time looks to be 4.5 hours. Any tips on that drive or stops. I know JoBurg can be, let's say, a bit unsafe.

Thanks in advance.

Ju
Hi Ju,

Within the camp at Satara there is a resident Scops Owl that roots around the reception area / shop. As the staff, they may have an idea where to find it. The camp will also have fairly common resident species such as blue waxbills, bulbuls, starlings, hornbills etc. Early morning / at night keep an eye out for nightmare that like to sit amongst the lawns (difficult to spot). The surrounding area are open grasslands and scattered thornveld. Look for Kori bustards and korhans, widow birds, queleas, wattles starlings, and double-banded sandgrouse.

Around skukuza, you are unlikely to see Pels fishing owls as the river is quite shallow, but the fig trees provide food for lots of great birds. The thicker riverine vegetation will definately provide additions to your bird list. Keep an eye out for the gorgeous bush shrikes.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back