• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding binoculars on a tripod (1 Viewer)

John Russell

A tripod is indispensable if one wishes to measure the AFOV of a bin or assess its resolution with a booster, but sometimes it can be of use for birding with moderate magnifications. Prerequisites are a tripod adapter (I use the Leica adapter, which works well with all roof prism bins) and that the tripod will extend to eye level.

Extended monocular viewing through an angled scope with a small exit pupil can be very fatiguing but a mounted bin is much more relaxing than hand-held. Of course, this is only really practical when one doesn't need to be mobile.

For scope use I recently replaced a Series 2 Gitzo basalt tripod with a carbon fibre Sirui M-3204, which is much stiffer and even a little lighter than the Gitzo. I put a Gitzo 1277M friction ballhead back on the basalt tripod, which had seen some use with an earlier straight scope and replaced the top disc of the ballhead with a Novoflex Q-Mount, so that I now have Arca Swiss compatibility between my monopod and two tripods (Berlebach 552 video head for the scope and Sirui L-10 tilt head on the monopod).

On a recent birding trip there was an observation point with large expanses of water on either side of a minor road and lots of comings and goings. I set up my 10x42 SVs on a tripod next to the scope and in the course of two to three hours spent more time behind the bins than the scope. The excellent edge sharpness of the SVs often obviated the need to pan but lateral CA was consequently more often apparent than in hand-held use. To eliminate it, slight head movement to the right was necessary when viewing the left edge and vice versa. All in all though a very relaxing experience and for those in posession of a suitable tripod thoroughly recommended. It only requires the purchase of a bino tripod adapter and an additional QR plate.

Now I'm very curious to try out that new 15x56 SLC..........;)

John

Occasionally I've set up my 10x binoculars on a tripod, and have been very impressed with the clarity of view, but as all my tripods are heavy it's not an option I use often. Perhaps I shake rather more than I'm aware of! - I'm now 75, have never smoked, overweight, but in generally good health... I must admit to having started to consider carbon fibre tripods and similar for birding use.

John,

I'd like to add that I find as much as possible eye relief very helpful with tripod mounted use of binoculars. It's even more important than in handheld-use.

Steve

I've used a tripod with binoculars for nighttime astronomy. So far have not found a need for a tripod when observing birds and other wild life during the day.

I've used a tripod with binoculars for nighttime astronomy. So far have not found a need for a tripod when observing birds and other wild life during the day.

a tripod will do the same things for you
during the day as the night
but just limits your portability

edj

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back