• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding from Shetland ferry (1 Viewer)

gambirder

Kev Roy
United Kingdom
Hi chaps!

Anyone got any experience of birding whale-watching etc from the Aberdeen-Lerwick ferry? I've got a trip booked in early July and seems like it's gotta be worthwhile birding through most of the journey. Searched online for advice, reports etc, but not turned anything up. Anyone know what's likely, possible?

Cheers

Last edited:
Shouldn't be asking too much to get minke whale - especially if the conditions are good - and you should get bottle nose dolphin on the way out of Aberdeen harbour. Make sure you're up in time to observe in the morning too as you approach Shetland - good chance of other cetaceans possible. Seabird wise, should be a few skuas and shearwaters kicking around as well as the usual gulls, terns auks etc.

Well it's not impossible but I've never seen them from the ferry. There are better ways to get stormies when you're in shetland of course...

I have seen Storm Petrel from the boat in the past. Last year on the outward trip I had a Minke Whale and several smaller dolphin sp as well as Bottlenose. Conditions clearly can be a factor. Last Friday there was very little to see, a handful of Manxies and Common Scoter and the expected seabirds.

Stephen

Last night a very good birder on the freight boat doing a whale and dolphin survey had a 99 sure adult Sabines Gull in the FairIsle channel. Also 2 Minke Whales.

In the past we have had cory and Great Shearwater, Humpback, Fin and Orca as well as lots of WB, AWD, Risso's as well as BND at Aberdeen Harbour.

Ian

North of Rattray Head is the 'Buchan Deep' which is a 200metre deep trench, it is a good area for Petrels, Shearwaters, Seals, cetaceans.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back