• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (1 Viewer)

martinboer

Greetings,

Next week I will be in Garmisch-Partenkirchen for a week to go skiing with the family and was hoping to do some birding. (Also, as the snow is rather wanting...)

I was wondering if anyone knows which birds might be available at the moment and if you maybe have some tips, or links to online references I can consult.

Best wishes,

Martin
(Brussels)

I will try and have a look but on the internet is some info about White Backed Woodpecker. In summer they are found around 1,000m altitude. That would be my main target. I'm guessing if the snow is not too heavy on the ground they will be in and around that altitude...

I guessing Nutcracker and Balck Woodpecker should be fairly easy. Owls will be calling now - so Pygmy, Eagle and probably Tengmalms...

Woodpeckers information You can find here
http://www.birdinggermany.de/bavarianwoodpeckers.htm

If You go by car, maybe You have time for stop at lake Starnberger see.
This is very good for loons this year e.g. at Ammerland or at Seeshaupt.
look at the map at 3,4,5,6,7
http://www.birdinggermany.de/starnberger_see.htm

since a couple of weeks Great Northern Diver is near Ammerland. Mostly from the Ammerland landing or 1 - 2 km north.

4 to 6 are also some good spots for hiking and nice view to the mountains for Your family.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back