• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Serrania de Ronda/Sierra de Grazalema (1 Viewer)

Journeyed northwards slightly today and towards Teba, nice views of around 400+ Griffon Vulture, also a pair of Bonelli's Eagle over the gorge. The river on the other side of Teba provided close views of 20+ Black-winged Stilt and always think these birds are a bit special, elegant shorebirds don't you think?

Peter

Attachments

• Oct_Black-winged-Stilta.jpg
    Oct_Black-winged-Stilta.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Oct_GriffonVulture1.jpg
    Oct_GriffonVulture1.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 74
Unbelievably warm weather, butterflies and dragonflies abound, whilst winter clothes remain on the shelf. You could almost mistake the time of year as being the warmer times of spring rather than autumn. Only the mass arrival of wintering birds give the season away and even they have to be pleasantly surprised by blue skies and warmth. My mountains, my heaven and realm has seen the arrival of the most common winter visitors such as Black Redstart, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, White Wagtail, Meadow Pipit and Ring Ouzel, as well as the more localised Alpine Accentor. A surprise has been a solitary Yellow-browed Warbler up the Libar track, but then again there has been a large influx of these tiny warblers into Europe this autumn, still it got an old man very excited!

Up on the high hills of Old Ronda there are super large flocks of mixed finches, spectacular sights as the flock are constantly disturbed by wandering cow herds, passing cars or the villain of any peaceful finch flock, the Sparrowhawk! It is always worth scanning these flocks for the unusual or scarcer finch and spending time revealed Brambling among the many Chaffinches, whilst the field margins with their high fennel plants held a small flock of Siskin. Just lazing around this wonderfully scenic area can take your breath away, as autumn shadows deepen the harsh edges to rock and crag, bringing a softness to the landscape which is almost velvet like and in total contrast to summer months when bright light and haze gives an almost one dimensional appearance to both hill and mountain.

Higher in the limestone mountains, where haws and hips provide food in abundance, Ring Ouzel has appeared in very large numbers, slightly later than normal. These handsome thrushes, so scarce and hard to find in North Europe, regularly use my high mountain areas to winter, along with Redwing and the much rarer Fieldfare. My maximum count for this thrush, during 2009, was 200+, whilst this week I have managed counts in excess of 100! Some of these birds will continue to journey south and eventually spend their winter in the High Atlas Mountains of Morocco, but a good many will winter here in times when there are plenty of haws and hips.

Of course we are only in the beginnings of November, so plenty of time for more seasonal weather, cooler and wet, to make an appearance, for now I am taking every available opportunity to get out of the house, not only for my guiding work, but also on my free days! And my efforts have been rewarded this week; I have not seen ‘my’ Bonelli’s Eagle behind Montejaque for many weeks so it was cause of great celebration to see an adult among many Griffon Vulture high above it’s nesting site. I was really so worried that something terrible had happened to ‘my’ eagles. Phew! What a relief. Black Vulture has also been regular this week up the Libar valley, such a different wing shape to their smaller cousins the Griffon Vulture.

Illustrated version on my blog. http://spanishnature.blogspot.com.es/2013/11/birds-of-autumn-serrania-de-ronda.html

Peter :t:

Attachments

• Nov_Black-Wheatear7.jpg
    Nov_Black-Wheatear7.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Nov_Goldfinch1.jpg
    Nov_Goldfinch1.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Nov_Ibex1.jpg
    Nov_Ibex1.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 66
Article and blog, with some half decent photos if you are interested in Griffon Vultures.

Griffon Vulture common resident. Although widespread throughout the province, it can be absent to very scarce in some areas (at least outside of periods for migration). Highest density of breeding birds is in the Cádiz and Málaga provinces. Numbers greatly increased during autumn migration period, as more northerly birds, mostly juveniles, migrate southwards. Some evidence to support local juveniles also migrate to Africa. Population remains artificially high, maintained by various feeding areas. Although relatively widespread, range is somewhat restricted due to the need for high cliffs or mountains for breeding and roosting. The only similar species likely to cause identification difficulties is Rüppell's Vulture Gyps rueppellii, now an annual visitor to the area and certainly in the Serranía de Ronda it has been observed during each month of the year.

More and photos on this link: http://spanishnature.blogspot.com.es/

Peter :t:

Attachments

• IMG_7759---Griffon-Vulture.jpg
    IMG_7759---Griffon-Vulture.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 70
Siberian Warbler P.c.tristis

Siberian Warbler P.c.tristis - Rio Guadiaro - Ronda. The bird has been around now for a few days, might involve more than one bird, site Indiana; Rio Guadiaro. Sorry only poor photographs attached, but good sightings and heard calling a few times (thin piping call)...

Peter

Attachments

• Chiffchaff_ID.jpg
    Chiffchaff_ID.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Chiffchaff_ID_1.jpg
    Chiffchaff_ID_1.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 86
Hi Peter, just had a 4-day blast around Jimena etc. On Sunday we were up at Llanos de Libar and met a British birder who said he'd just seen an American Kestrel on the wires just above Montejaque.... we hastened over there, and this is a pic of it. It appears to have a ring on it's left leg - you been ringing American Kestrels?

Attachments

• DSCN0543 (640x427).jpg
    DSCN0543 (640x427).jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 141
I took my first,but certainly not my last,trip to Los Llanos de Libar on the 24th April,although I have been to the Serrania de Ronda several times.Good weather was forecast but when in the mountains at this time of the year it can be changeable and this day was no exception.Sun low cloud and a fresh N/W wind meant I and my two friends kept our jackets on all day.The following birds were seen including a´lifer´for me in the shape of rock sparrow.
red legged partridge
griffon vulture
short toed eagle
booted eagle
common buzzard
rock pigeon
wood pigeon
common swift
wryneck
green woodpecker
common kestrel
woodchat shrike
jay
red billed chough
jackdaw
raven
crested lark
barn swallow
red rumped swallow
house martin
great tit
blue tit
nuthatch
firecrest
iberian chiff chaff
western bonelli´s warbler
melodious warbler
sardinian warbler
spactacled warbler
robin
pied flycatcher
redstart
rock thrush
blue rock thrush
whinchat
stonechat
black wheatear
northern wheatear
black-eared wheatear
blackbird
mistle thrush
spotless starling
meadow pipit
rock bunting
corn bunting
greenfinch
goldfinch
linnet
serin
house sparrow
rock sparrow
52 species in all and my only disapointment if I can say that was the lack of raptors such as golden and bonelli´s eagle.It is a beautiful place and one I shall go to again in the very near future.
Attached are some photos of birds and the area.

Attachments

• IMG_2034 (640x478).jpg
    IMG_2034 (640x478).jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2073 (640x475).jpg
    IMG_2073 (640x475).jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2075 (640x479).jpg
    IMG_2075 (640x479).jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2079 (640x456).jpg
    IMG_2079 (640x456).jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2086 (640x467).jpg
    IMG_2086 (640x467).jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 67
Yup, I like it up there too Eddy, went twice in January and will probably go again when we are out for two weeks from May 1st.
Surprised you didn't record Thekla Lark.
Never connected with Golden Eagle but Bonelli's regularly shows either there or on the cliffs along the road to Ronda.

Hi Jon I was surprised as well but larks full stop were short on the ground.I have seen golden eagle in the past but more towards Cortes de la Frontera.I was hoping for ring ouzel also but the conditions were not the best with low cloud and rain.I was pleased with what we saw and will get there at first light next time....Eddy

Can I add my list from a short (five hour) visit on the 10th June? We saw: griffin vulture and chick at nest, short toed eagle, booted eagle, alpine swift, common swift, barn swallow, goldfinch, linnet, subalpine warbler, rock sparrow, rock bunting, blue rockthrush, chough, mistle thrush, black wheatear, black eared wheatear, woodchat shrike, hoopoe, greenfinch, serin, kestrel, spotless starling, sardinian warbler. Sadly no Bonellis this time.
It's a great place to go birding or walking. Thanks to Sue Eatock of Wildside Holidays for her help. She also saw a woodlark!

alpine swifts near teba

hi all,
am staying for 1 week in ronda.
after sunset today a crowd of alpine swifts in a gorge where a bridge crosses the river rio la venta east of teba.
2 days ago 2 bonelli's eagles sitting in tree in a cliff about 7 km east of teba.
best wishes,
andreas

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back