• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Southern Tuscany and thereabouts (3 Viewers)

Another pleasant winter day spent at and around the Diaccia Botrona wetland (see above post #92), although the temperature was more early autumn-like, with a maximum of 17C 🥵, a bit too much for my liking tbh. Maybe for this reason the usually lively fields around the wetland area itself were pretty quiet when we got there in the early morning: a male Hen Harrier was the first bird we saw, then we had Kestrel, Buzzard, Cormorant, Sparrowhawk, Great White Egret, Greylag Geese and Common Cranes in the fields and Chiffchaff, Cetti’s Warbler, Meadow Pipit, Corn Bunting and Crested Lark.

We decided to leave the car and walk along the eastern embankment of the wetland hoping for a bit more bird action. The water was full of Flamingoes, there were a couple of Osprey, some Marsh Harriers, Shelduck dotted here and there, Grey Heron, Spoonbill, the usual distant Greater Spotted Eagle on its perch, flyover Sacred Ibis, Little Egret and Lapwing, Reed Bunting, Stonechat and Sardinian Warbler. Waders were few and far between: mostly Grey Plover, with some Redshank and Greenshank, although large unidentifiable flocks could be seen in a galaxy far far away.

We retraced our steps to the car and drove to the nearby town of Castiglione della Pescaia, on which beach we had seen Kentish Plovers before, but it was too crowded, with people in shorts and t-shirts enjoying the unseasonable warmth. The only option left was to spend some time on the terrace of the Visitors’ Centre of the reserve, where we had good views of several Curlew, an enormous flock of Avocet, more Flamingoes, Grey Plovers, Redshanks and Greenshanks, a female Sparrowhawk which flew low over our heads, and a good selection of ducks: Shoveler, Teal, Wigeon and Pintail. Passerines included Stonechat, Black Redstart and Zitting Cisticola.

Before heading home, we took another turn on the dirt track between the fields and this time the Cranes were closer, allowing some decent record shots. As the sun set, 5 Hen Harriers (2 males and 3 females) and 6-7 Marsh Harriers came to roost in the reedbeds to the north of the reserve.

Back home, a Tawny Owl was calling behind our garage.

Below, some landscape phone shots and one of the Cranes.

Attachments

• DSC_2214.JPG
    DSC_2214.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6359.jpg
    IMG_6359.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6360.jpg
    IMG_6360.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6361.jpg
    IMG_6361.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6362.jpg
    IMG_6362.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
"... a galaxy far far away" - nice!

Bummer to miss out on the Wallcreeper, but nice to know they are about and you might get lucky.

and Happy New Year!

Cheers
Mike

There are far too many birds in Italy in winter! every time I was in Italy in this part of the year it was gloomy cold and empty, you make it sound like a wonderland :) I really need to put my act together and get back to the pile of work I have shelved that would bring me on business trips to Bologna several times a year :)

Thanks Mike! And Jan, you should! Also Bologna is close to the Po Delta, one of the best places to go birding in Italy, any time of the year! And if you do give us a shout!

Happy New Year all!

A couple of months ago there had been reports of a Great Northern Diver off the Tuscan coast near one of our usual haunts, and also of a Red-necked Grebe and Horned Grebe in the nearby lagoon. We drove down full of expectations but we dipped on all three and the whole expedition was pretty disappointing bird-wise.

So when we heard that the Diver had been seen again in the same spot, as well as the Horned Grebe, we decided to give it another try.

When we got to the beach the sea was calm but there wasn’t much bird activity: a few Yellow-legged Gulls, Cormorants, Shag with small groups of Yelkouan Shearwater in the distance and one Scopoli’s Shearwater too.

After a while, something biggish that wasn’t one of the above species flew in the field of view of the scope, dark above, light below… G found it with binoculars too and we followed it flying towards us and then away and then finally landing on the water directly in front of us. Great Northern Diver! What a sight it was through the scope, truly magnificent. We had seen the species in Canada, but never in the WP. Unfortunately, as these things go, at least for us, we didn’t have the camera gear at the ready and by the time it was set up the bird had dived and resurfaced further away, with a large fish (probably a sole) in its beak, so the photo below is just a souvenir for us.

After a while we moved to the nearby lagoon to look for the Horned Grebe, but dipped on this one, seeing instead Little, Great Crested and Black-necked Grebe, Flamingo, Red-breasted Merganser, Sandwich Tern, Coot, Little Egret, Grey Heron, Common Sandpiper, Black-headed Gull, Kingfisher, Shelduck, a very pink Slender-billed Gull and an extremely confident Turnstone.

In the afternoon we headed to beach at Marina di Alberese, in the Parco della Maremma, where the same species of the morning were seen at sea, with better views of Scopoli’s Shearwater. In the fields along the road to the beach a couple of Fox, between 350 and 400 Common Cranes, a good-looking adult Peregrine Falcon, Kestrel, Lapwing and Green Woodpecker.

A very satisfying day trip!

Attachments

• _DSC1375.JPG
    _DSC1375.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 3F.jpg
    3F.jpg
    1,001.5 KB · Views: 8
  • berte.jpg
    berte.jpg
    781.2 KB · Views: 8
  • bhgull.jpg
    bhgull.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • BHgull2.jpg
    BHgull2.jpg
    901.4 KB · Views: 8
  • CSandpiper.jpg
    CSandpiper.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • egret.jpg
    egret.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • Fox.jpeg
    Fox.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 8
  • SBGull.jpg
    SBGull.jpg
    848.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Turnstone1.jpg
    Turnstone1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • Turnstone2.jpg
    Turnstone2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • Turnstone3.jpg
    Turnstone3.jpg
    842.4 KB · Views: 8
Lots of seabirds and 3 Eagles!

We spent a long Saturday at the other end of Tuscany, in its north-western tip: a pelagic trip in the morning and the early afternoon at a well-known migration watchpoint for Short-toed Eagles and other birds of prey.

Our day started very early, but soon after setting off (at 4am) we took the sight of a Tawny Owl as a good omen for the trip.

The pelagic trip set off from the port of Viareggio and started with the usual suspects: Yellow-legged and Black-headed Gull and groups of Cormorants. Just outside the harbour the first Mediterranean Gull, and a group of Cattle Egret flying low over the sea, then further south along the coast, some flocks of ducks: Garganey, Shoveler and Teal, and a lone flyover Avocet.

Heading offshore the fun began: Mixed with the YL Gulls in all kinds of different plumages several Kittiwake, both immature and adults, a real delicacy in our part of the world, a few more Mediterranean Gulls, a single winter-plumage Common Gull (again, not so common here), both species of Shearwater, Scopoli’s and Yelkouan, a fantastic Arctic Skua in pursuit of the gulls, a lone Razorbill, presumably one of the few left after the major influx at the end of the Autumn, a faraway Diver, probably Red-throated, a single Sandwich Tern and an unexpected VERY early Common Tern.

Back on shore we purchased sandwiches from the local bakery and headed for the nearby hills where there is a bird of prey migration watchpoint, known especially for the high numbers of Short-toed Eagle that fly by. Here we met with birding friends and acquaintances from all over central Italy and spent a pleasurable few hours counting up to 50 ST Eagles, two or three Booted Eagle, one Golden Eagle, a few Buzzard and Marsh Harriers, and the first Swallows and House Martins of the year.

Driving home, another Marsh Harrier, more Cattle Egrets, a single Grey Heron and a few more Swallows.

A good way to start our spring birding!

Pics below - we had about 4000... so it took a while to sort them!

Attachments

• MedGull.jpg
    MedGull.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Scopoli's1.jpg
    Scopoli's1.jpg
    677.7 KB · Views: 11
  • mixedgulls.jpg
    mixedgulls.jpg
    884.3 KB · Views: 11
  • view.jpg
    view.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • YL Gull1.jpg
    YL Gull1.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
and more...

Attachments

• 2Kittiwake.jpg
    2Kittiwake.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 15
  • commonGull.jpg
    commonGull.jpg
    582.1 KB · Views: 17
  • ASkua.jpg
    ASkua.jpg
    865.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Kittiwake1.jpg
    Kittiwake1.jpg
    692.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Kittiwake2.jpg
    Kittiwake2.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Kittiwake5.jpg
    Kittiwake5.jpg
    655 KB · Views: 9
the last ones... we also have some of the birds of prey somewhere, will post them asap!

Attachments

• Scopoli's3.jpg
    Scopoli's3.jpg
    784.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Scopoli's4.jpg
    Scopoli's4.jpg
    813.7 KB · Views: 9
  • yelkouan1.jpg
    yelkouan1.jpg
    975.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Yelkouan2.jpg
    Yelkouan2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
What an amazing day! Great seabirds AND great raptor passage - feeling totally gripped!

Your immature Common Gull looks very heavy-billed and that half collar looks really dark and broad. Is this something you see often in Common Gulls in Italy?

Cheers
Mike

Your immature Common Gull looks very heavy-billed and that half collar looks really dark and broad. Is this something you see often in Common Gulls in Italy?
🤔😬 We don't see many Common Gulls in Italy. They do winter here, but we don't often go to places where they do. We are familiar with summer plumage adults as we have seen them often in northern Europe, but we are not very good at gulls' moults in general, so we relied on the identification of the guy who organised the trip, and who does a lot of them. I looked it up in the Olsen-Larsson book and I can see what you mean about the bill, also the collar contrasts with the face, which presumably should be darker in a 1st winter bird.... What are your thoughts?

I am attaching below pics from the above book. Captions for photo 52 says "1st winter, underwing coverts and axillaries normally with rather prominent dark tips". 53 says "1st winter heinei, Normally inseparable from canus, this bird shows narrower dark underwing markings than 52, but underwing still rather uniform.

Attachments

• IMG_6646.jpg
    IMG_6646.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6648.jpg
    IMG_6648.jpg
    835.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6649.jpg
    IMG_6649.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Thanks for posting these images 3IB.

I honestly don't know enough to have a firm opinion. I had a quick search online and couldn't find a bird with such a dark and extensive collar. I did learn regular Common Gulls can be a bit more chunky-billed than I remembered, and it may well be that is enough to explain this bird.

It may be worth posting on the ID forum where there are plenty of people with more experience of the species concerned.

Cheers
Mike

Hi all

I'm staying in Montichiari (about 8 miles SW of Lake Garda) in May with family. I won't get much time to myself, so would anyone be able to recommend somewhere I could go for half a day? I haven't got any specific species to hunt for, but would like to see birds that I wouldn't normally see in the UK.

Hi all

I'm staying in Montichiari (about 8 miles SW of Lake Garda) in May with family. I won't get much time to myself, so would anyone be able to recommend somewhere I could go for half a day? I haven't got any specific species to hunt for, but would like to see birds that I wouldn't normally see in the UK.

Hello, unfortunately we are about 400 km from Lake Garda and we don't know the Lake Garda area, sorry about that. Have you tried posting in the "Information wanted" forum? There May be someone who has been there who could help you.

This is a belated report of a twitch of June 1st.

In a spring mostly devoid of exciting birds and tbh also of fairly common migrants, there was one outstanding bird which we couldn’t miss, especially since it was just over an hour’s drive away, in one of our favourite haunts, the Diaccia Botrona wetland on the Tuscan coast: a splendid American Golden Plover in full breeding plumage, mingling with the local Grey Plovers.

We don’t often visit the coast in late spring and summer, because it’s usually hot, crowded and the good birds have mostly gone, but, besides the twitch it proved to be a fairly productive visit, with nice sightings of Little and Caspian Tern, several Whimbrel, Kentish Plover, Shelduck, Avocet, the usual Flamingoes, Osprey, Curlew, Black- winged Stilt, Great White and Little Egret, Grey Heron, Black-headed and Yellow-legged Gull, Zitting Cisticola, Yellow Wagtail, and Buzzard, Black Kite, Corn Bunting, Skylark and Roller on the way there.

No good photos of the Plover, because of the heat haze, but a couple of digiscoped videos will make do!

Attachments

• LTern.jpg
    LTern.jpg
    844.4 KB · Views: 8
  • plover1.mp4
    7.8 MB
  • plover3.mp4
    17.6 MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back