• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Staffordshire (3 Viewers)

Wind direction is forecast to be from the NE for the rest of the week.

Russell

I'm afraid the seaweed at Berryhill is better than the Westport stuff. Wind might go East on Monday then south from late on Tues (according to Metcheck). We've just got to grin and bear it. Maybe tomorrow we'll get seven Blackcap instead of eight, and maybe a Whitethroat in a different bush? Who knows. But then again, anything could turn up on any wind. We have been grilling the hirundines for a Red-rump but on Tues 4th, my entire count consisted of one heard Swallow for the morning!

You should change your ID to "late fieldfare sniffer" (ok, maybe not :king:) - you always seem to find the may stragglers - nice one :t: Oh, and Spurs have just made it into the Champions League next season - yay :king:

A female Whinchat this afternoon was my first of the spring. Conversely, a tardy Fieldfare at nearby Scot Hay will probably be my last of the spring!

Steve

Last edited:

I think between us all at Westport we have gone through every possible scarce/rarity going, and one of the first was Red-rumped Swallow, which I think was Phil Jones prediction (apologies if not), we've also had Alpine Swift, Night Heron, Kentish Plover and many more, of course there was an Osprey last week, but not one birder saw it, just a guy with a camera and he didn't know what it was!!

Last edited:
You should change your ID to "late fieldfare sniffer" (ok, maybe not :king:) - you always seem to find the may stragglers - nice one :t: Oh, and Spurs have just made it into the Champions League next season - yay :king:

Ha ha, yes, late Fieldfare sniffer doesn't sound great...I'd prefer Dotterel man like you ;) Speaking of which, I only found the Fieldfare whilst scanning a nice, recently ploughed field that looks good for Dotterel. If you drive out past the main entrance to Silverdale Enterprise Park, the ploughed field is on your right just before the right turn for Scot Hay...so, go check it out Dotterel man!! I'll be cheesed off if you go there today and find a Dotterel mind :-O

Steve

Westport this morning form 06.20 - 09.10, Chiffchaff x4, Little Ringed Plover x2, Shoveler x3, Blackcap x6, Reed Warbler x1, Tufted Duck x8, Whitethroat x7, Willow Warbler x2, Garden Warbler x1, Stock Dove x5, Willow Tit x2 & Reed Bunting x1.

Total species seen 44.

Silverdale Colliery

10 Wheatears today of which 3 showed strong "Greenland" race characteristics, plus a newly arrived Lesser Whitethroat in the scrub near Cannel Row.
Nick

Berryhill

Following a mist shrouded and damp morning had another look this afternoon,seems Acro warblers are on the move with 2 Reed Warblers in Hawthorn bushes east of the Viewpoint with a Sedge Warbler nearby.
4 singing Sedge Warblers and 3 singing Reed Warblers at the Reedbed / Dell with a further 2 Sedge at Tiddlers pool.

Russell

Last edited:
Walk around Trentham Park this evening produced Blackcap, Buzzard, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Several GSW, Green Woody calling and highlight being Kingfisher aswell as usual warblers, tits and finches etc. Must try and get down early doors over the weekend!!

Cheers
Craig

walk near dimmingsdale this evening,7 willow warblers,2 garden warblers,2 chiffchaffs,1 redstart,2 tree pippits,1 green woodpecker,2 mistle thrush and 3 song thrushes.

3 house martins over uni today. Not sure, but might be my first on site, with not starting until very late september last year don't think I saw any.

Adam

Westport this afternoon from 15.00 - 18.00, Willow Tit x1, Chiffchaff x4, Blackcap x3, Reed Warbler x2, Reed Bunting x1, Shoveler x1, Whitethroat x4, Buzzard x2, Sparrowhawk x1, lots of young Canada, Coot & Mallard.

Total species seen 38.

Belvide and Huntley

Lots of Warblers about at Belvide, managed a record shot of the Reed warbler after waiting for it to come out of the reeds. 2 Hobbies still patroling the water feeding on insects. Drake Garganey showing well on the North shore. Plenty of prospecting by many species for suitable nest sites in the woodland plantation. Watched a Nuthatch plugging a hole with mud, Treecreepers mating and a nice pair of obliging Blackcaps. Then a nice male Red-legged partridge sitting and calling on a gate. Linnets, Whitethroats, Lesser whitethroats, Willow warblers, Buzzards, Kestrel and a Chiff chaff in one small area above Huntley tunnel.

Attachments

• _MG_4000.jpg
    _MG_4000.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 20
  • _MG_4172.jpg
    _MG_4172.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 15
  • _MG_4183.jpg
    _MG_4183.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 13
  • _MG_4207.jpg
    _MG_4207.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 20
  • _MG_4234.jpg
    _MG_4234.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 17
Westport this morning 05.30 - 08.40, highlights, Little Ringed Plover x5, Tufted Duck x16, Chiffchaff x4, Garden Warbler x1, Blackcap x4, Willow Warbler x2, Whitethroat x4, Reed Warbler x2, Shoveler x1, Shelduck x4 (year tick),Stock Dove x3, Sparrowhawk x3 & Buzzard x1.

Total species seen 44.

Lots of Warblers about at Belvide, managed a record shot of the Reed warbler after waiting for it to come out of the reeds. 2 Hobbies still patroling the water feeding on insects. Drake Garganey showing well on the North shore. Plenty of prospecting by many species for suitable nest sites in the woodland plantation. Watched a Nuthatch plugging a hole with mud, Treecreepers mating and a nice pair of obliging Blackcaps. Then a nice male Red-legged partridge sitting and calling on a gate. Linnets, Whitethroats, Lesser whitethroats, Willow warblers, Buzzards, Kestrel and a Chiff chaff in one small area above Huntley tunnel.

I knew I should have come. Got to be better than laying slabs. Well done Neil, some very nice pictures too.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back