• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Staffordshire (4 Viewers)

That Oystercatcher hasn't been seen by me at Uttoxeter Quarry. I would've recognised it, looking at that that bill. :eek!:

Unless, of course, it's got a bit of "Open-billed Stork" in it? :-O

One of the Oystercatcher had a badly deformed bill, see picture. I am right in thinking that a similar bird was seen at Uttoxeter Quarry last year?

Barnacle Goose

Any idea how long the Barnacle Goose has been around, we had one at Westport Lake on the 10th May only stayed for the afternoon and was gone by the morning, just wondering if this is the same bird?

I saw a single Barnacle Goose at Doxey on Aprol 21st.
cheers Mick

A FORMER quarry once earmarked for landfill is to be transformed into an outdoor pursuit centre.

Huntley Wood Quarry, near Cheadle, has been bought by an couple from the Isle of Man.

The 170-acre site has been on the market for £500,000 since plans were thrown out to import 360,000 cubic metres of waste to level the area for an 18-hole golf course.

Jonathan Ely, who has purchased the site with his wife Emma, said: "We anticipate an unspoilt natural site such as Huntley Wood will be of particular appeal to those interested in historical arts like archery.

"We want to encourage natural regeneration of the site, creating a range of habitats for local flora and fauna."

Why don't a few of you North Staffs boys form a group and approach the new owners in relation to the site. They might appreciate some local Flora & Fauna input from local naturalists, in the know.

cheers
Rob

Why don't a few of you North Staffs boys form a group and approach the new owners in relation to the site. They might appreciate some local Flora & Fauna input from local naturalists, in the know.

cheers
Rob

I thought along similar lines, but I wasn't sure they wouldn't see it as us butting in when they have just spent £500,000 of their own money on something. Mind you, you don't ask, you don't get. What harm can asking do? Might help with keeping access to the site for us nature lovers at least.

Any volunteers to spear head the group and communicate with the buyers of Huntley? Or even to find out how to communicate with the buyers of Huntley?

Adam

Edit* Almost forgot, two sparrow chicks in the garden today. Looking so defenseless, the sparrowhawk must be licking its lips. Hope they make it through, with the numbers we tend to get the chances are a few of them will.

2nd edit* sparrow chicks up to 5 by the end of the day.

Last edited:
Westport Lake

Westport this morning from 05.20 - 07.50, Canada Geese x33 young, Mute Swan x10, Great Crested Grebe x10, Little Ringed Plover x4, Shoveler x1, Tufted Duck x3, Willow Tit x2, Blackcap x5, Chiffchaff x5, Great Spotted Woodpecker x3, Coal Tit x1 (good record for May), Reed Warbler x3, Reed Bunting x1, Willow Warbler x1, Stock Dove x3, Grey Heron x1, Linnet x2 (3rd record of year) & Whitethroat x3.

Total species seen 47.

I thought along similar lines, but I wasn't sure they wouldn't see it as us butting in when they have just spent £500,000 of their own money on something. Mind you, you don't ask, you don't get. What harm can asking do? Might help with keeping access to the site for us nature lovers at least.

Any volunteers to spear head the group and communicate with the buyers of Huntley? Or even to find out how to communicate with the buyers of Huntley?

Adam

Edit* Almost forgot, two sparrow chicks in the garden today. Looking so defenseless, the sparrowhawk must be licking its lips. Hope they make it through, with the numbers we tend to get the chances are a few of them will.

As you already know Adam, I have quite a lot of information of what has been seen at Huntley Quarry/woods. If anyone can find me details of the new owners I would be glad to approach them. Neil.

cheers
Rob

It could be problematic with all those arrows. I'm thinking of Henry V and the battle of Agincourt and those scenes from Kenneth Branagh's movie. The one where all those archers are firing thousands of arrows into the air only to fall on the enemy :eek!: :-O

Dean

Happy Birding:t:

It could be problematic with all those arrows. I'm thinking of Henry V and the battle of Agincourt and those scenes from Kenneth Branagh's movie. The one where all those archers are firing thousands of arrows into the air only to fall on the enemy :eek!: :-O

Dean

Happy Birding:t:

Yes and please dont go birding up Huntley wood if your name is Harold:-O

Okay Col,

You will have to enlighten me. Who the bloody hell is Harold? :-O

Dean:t:

tut tut Dean. Harold, King of England who got an arrow through the eye, I think it was at the battle of Hastings in 1066. Although I think I saw on QI it is now suggested he didn't get an arrow in the eye, but not quite sure.

Adam (the fountain of totally useless information)

Hi Adam,

Thanks for that :-O

I've now added that to the totally useless information file located deep in my brain :eek!: :-O

Dean:t:

PS: I thought Harold might have been some local nut from Cheadle or Tean.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back