• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Staffordshire (3 Viewers)

Remember when he decided to creosote the inside of the Bryant hide:eek!: The place stunk for months after. Another cracker was when he turned up at 5am to sweep the hides, instead of looking at the 2 Cranes that were performing on the north shore.:-O

What was it he said as he was sweeping.......Oh I haven't got time to look at them, I've got to sweep the hide!!!

Happy days, eh :-O

Last edited:
I wonderd who the Belvide Hides were named after and why, I keep hearing the Bryant and Andrew Chappell hides mentioned.

Regards, John

Hi John,

the Bryant hide no longer exists. It was replaced by the current West End Hide. It was called Bryant after Bryant construction who built it in the early 80's. The Andrew Chappell hide was erected and named in the memory of a permit holder that sadly passed away a few years back.

Cheers Steve

Belvide Hides

Hi John,

the Bryant hide no longer exists. It was replaced by the current West End Hide. It was called Bryant after Bryant construction who built it in the early 80's. The Andrew Chappell hide was erected and named in the memory of a permit holder that sadly passed away a few years back.

Cheers Steve

Thanks Very much for the information Steve.

Regards, John

Something I've been meaning to ask about for a while now. My girlfriend saw a brown crow at her farm outside of Ipstones a couple of weeks ago. We guessed at it being a leucistic bird. Just wondering if that's right and how common they are?

Adam

Something I've been meaning to ask about for a while now. My girlfriend saw a brown crow at her farm outside of Ipstones a couple of weeks ago. We guessed at it being a leucistic bird. Just wondering if that's right and how common they are?

Adam

Hi Adam, there not exactly common but not that unusual either, we recently received an email from someone of a very bleached looking Crow with an incredible blue eye.
Chris

There was a brown Crow at Belvide several years ago. Steve N will probably have details.

I remember first seeing it near the first hide and being thrown for the first few seconds.

I assume these 'freaks' of nature don't often survive and get picked on by stronger birds.

Egyptian Goose again at Gailey today. Firstly on Sailing lake and later in nearby fields. Presumably(almost definitely) the same bird that frequents Belvide.

Also this weekend, Hobby, 10 Common Terns, 3 Common Sands, & Spot Fly.

Looking forward to things really getting moving in the coming weeks.

Remember when he decided to creosote the inside of the Bryant hide:eek!: The place stunk for months after. Another cracker was when he turned up at 5am to sweep the hides, instead of looking at the 2 Cranes that were performing on the north shore.:-O

An everyday tale of Black Country folk, bless 'em ;););););)

Note all the 'winks' Its a joke :-O

A decent run (by urban garden standards) of birds this week in my Wolvo garden - a juvenile Tawny Owl was calling at 4am Thurs morn followed yday by both Garden Warbler (2nd record) and a calling Phyllosc in the local LT Tit flock (with a Raven over too) and this am I was woken at 6am, not by the kids for a change, but by a calling Green Wood! It's nearly as good as Gailey...

Tittesworth 12/08/13

Paid a brief visit to Tittesworth reservoir this afternoon,where the conservation area was all but dry.On the mud flats were a greenshank and a couple of common sandpipers.Nearbye were three oystercatchers. In the record book was a report of a collared pratincole yesterday.Whilst not wishing to dismiss the convoluted report that reflects on this chaps other discoveries, there was no mention of exactly where.Sadly I hadn't taken my good camera along.

Attachments

• Common Greenshank (Tringa nebularia) 1 Tittesworth North Staffs 120813LQ.jpg
    Common Greenshank (Tringa nebularia) 1 Tittesworth North Staffs 120813LQ.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Common Greenshank (Tringa nebularia) 2 Tittesworth North Staffs 120813LQ.jpg
    Common Greenshank (Tringa nebularia) 2 Tittesworth North Staffs 120813LQ.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Common Sandpiper (Actitis hypoleucos)  1 Tittesworth North Staffs 120813LQ.jpg
    Common Sandpiper (Actitis hypoleucos) 1 Tittesworth North Staffs 120813LQ.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 12
  • The Roaches North Staffs 120813.jpg
    The Roaches North Staffs 120813.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 11
Osprey

Hello All,

Spotted an Osprey around 1.00 pm today flying over the causeway at Blithfield, heading south towards the damn.

Also at least 5 Swifts hunting low over the causeway.

A good lunch hour!

John

Staffordshire on-line Bird Atlas

Dear All,

Craig Slawson at Staffs Ecological Records has updated the Staffordshire on-line bird atlas to make it easier to use and to include a monthly distribution graphs too.

I hope you like the new approach - any comments welcome.

Web Link: http://www.staffs-ecology.org.uk/htm..._Staffordshire

The atlas will be up to date to 2012, with some records for 2013 but the majority of these will be uploaded at year end.

Thanks, Nick

Was out taking some pictures of Dragonflies when I came across a large silver BTO ring, looks like its from a large duck or goose. No evidence left of the bird I'm afraid, so not much to go on from the site. It was found on SWT Bateswood.
Neil.

The number is 5255934.

Reply from Stefan Bodnar BTO Ringing trainer

Was out taking some pictures of Dragonflies when I came across a large silver BTO ring, looks like its from a large duck or goose. No evidence left of the bird I'm afraid, so not much to go on from the site. It was found on SWT Bateswood.
Neil.

The number is 5255934.

Thats a Canada goose ring almost certainly. Probably one of mine from 1998 ringed at Sutton Park. Often shot as pests by farmers, so there is the likely explanation.

With best wishes

Stefan

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back