• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Staffordshire (1 Viewer)

anyone know whether pattingham is it in staffs not shrops cause if its staffs then a report will follow quite good one too :) its about 6 miles south west of wolves

plenty of swallows at college
and house martins
2 garden warblers now
double figures willow warb
and chiff chaff
5 black cap
buzzards

Pattingham

anyone know whether pattingham is it in staffs not shrops cause if its staffs then a report will follow quite good one too :) its about 6 miles south west of wolves

plenty of swallows at college
and house martins
2 garden warblers now
double figures willow warb
and chiff chaff
5 black cap
buzzards

Hi Rob,
According to Wikipedia, Pattingham is in S.Staffs and is 7 miles west of Wolves. Report?

Cheers
Craig

Raven Nest

Is this the biggest nest in the Peak Park?

Don't know how long it's been there, but I think they keep adding a few more twigs each year! Neil

Attachments

• Raven nest.jpg
    Raven nest.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 32
Is this the biggest nest in the Peak Park?

Don't know how long it's been there, but I think they keep adding a few more twigs each year! Neil

Looks like they are going up in the world. A few more years and they will have the penthouse suite on top of the cliff.
Nice one. Thanks for showing. Neil.

cheers craig im still not sure its about 10 min drive west out of pattingham but oh well i will report
4 corn bunting singing in the farmland there which as many of you will know are a good bird to get in staffs surprised didnt get tree sparrow but im sure there about
also 1 whimbrel in field there at 9:05 was gone by 10 also blackcaps and 2 groppers in game cover crop really intresting place it is very close to shrops border though swallows about everywhere on farmland it is near the big pool if anyone knows that

Utch Quarry 1830-2020.

Hey up folks, bumped into our Dean tonight, gettin a taste of north east staffordshires top birdin site:t:

No sign of Rp's Arctic Terns( must have known i was on me way) or Fair Isles Little Gull, last seen headin' off high south east on sunday by two intrepid twitchers from Cheesedale!3:)

Birds around the sandpit tonight were 2 Common Terns, 7 lrp's, 2 green sand's, 3 common sand's, 4 oyst's, 1 ringed plover, 10 goosander, 2 yellow wag's, 1 white wag', 1 wheatear, 1 blackcap and 1 willow warbler.

Also 5 Hares and a bostin' male fox knockin' about.

cheers

Andy.

Corn Buntings

Hey Rob

Living near the border of Shrops/ Staffs over at Childs Ercall I can positively say that Corn Buntings are readily found in small numbers in Staffs especially along the Staffs way over at High Offley. Hope this is helpful for anyone else who may need a reliable sight in Staffs for their year tick. Also a nice area generally to walk.

Went up to Berryhill late morning very briefly on the way to see my girlfriend just to get good sightings of Grasshopper Warbler having had one at Newport Aqualate recently. Got great views of a great bird.

Happy Birding

JW

Reed Warblers are back at Westport Lake at the Top Pool Reed bed. Other than that all quiet there tonight, too many Joggers, dog walkers, youths etc. ;)

Bring back the old days before it was done up with new paths/carpark and a visitor center that is taking longer to build than the pyramids ;)

Sylvia.

Last edited:
Hey Rob

Living near the border of Shrops/ Staffs over at Childs Ercall I can positively say that Corn Buntings are readily found in small numbers in Staffs especially along the Staffs way over at High Offley. Hope this is helpful for anyone else who may need a reliable sight in Staffs for their year tick. Also a nice area generally to walk.

Went up to Berryhill late morning very briefly on the way to see my girlfriend just to get good sightings of Grasshopper Warbler having had one at Newport Aqualate recently. Got great views of a great bird.

Happy Birding

JW

Seems to be a good year for Groppers in most suitable habitats there seems to be about 11 Territories on Berryhill this spring,although the day record so far is 9.
Corn Buntings to the north of Staffs are uncommon.
First Grey Partridge last night at Berryhill for over 2 years since the population died out.

Russell

Reed Warblers are back at Westport Lake at the Top Pool Reed bed. Other than that all quiet there tonight, too many Joggers, dog walkers, youths etc. ;)

Brig back the old days before it was done up with new paths/carpark and a visitor center that is taking longer to build than the pyramids ;)

Sylvia.

Rumour has it, that it's impossible to build by human hands and that the aliens are stuck at alpha centauri at the moment....

Good views of both Perries on the BT building today, 1.30 to 1.50pm. Male flew off toward town centre (left as I was looking at them from the bottom of Etruria road) and didn't return. Any news of them breeding yet? if it's a pair it would seem unlikely for them not to breed, unless they were immature.

Weather for the weekend...

...looks promising, with heavy showers forecast and a switch in the wind from SE to SW from Saturday into Sunday. This should bring migrants to your local patch with any luck!

Steve

ps twitched the 11 :eek!: Whiskered Terns at Willington GPs, Derbys this afternoon! Amazing sight.
Also had Cuckoo, Gropper, and 2 Lesser Whitethroat there, and missed a Red Kite by about 10 minutes!

Rumour has it, that it's impossible to build by human hands and that the aliens are stuck at alpha centauri at the moment....

The real truth about Westport is that which ever contractor the Council have given the work to has gone bust, that is why it is taking so long.

You twitching tart! ;) Guess what, so did I this evening! 3:)

As did one or two others.................. Including someone in his football kit???

ps twitched the 11 :eek!: Whiskered Terns at Willington GPs, Derbys this afternoon! Amazing sight.
Also had Cuckoo, Gropper, and 2 Lesser Whitethroat there, and missed a Red Kite by about 10 minutes!

Last edited:
finished work and went westport for an hour, heard the reed warbler but didn't get a look at it. nice to meet you again kev.

got home and went out to play football for an hour or so. checked my phone when i got in, one message recieved, from andy (rockbirder) it read, ELEVEN WHISKERED TERN AT WILLINGTON!!! so back in the car and off to derby, in full football strip. needless to say i got some funny looks walking along to the terns with a scope over my shoulder and shin pads on. best comment was 'did you win??'

terns showed really well, flying, calling, the lot. life list now 199, shame these didn't hold out for a while so they could be 200, but hopefully berryhill will produce a mega for that.

nice to met richard and dean in the car park. which reminds me, we doing a meet this year? dimmingsdale maybe in may then berry hill in august?

anyway, im off up apedale tomorrow morning if the weather holds out.

happy birding

adam

whimbrel at sideway.

Hi folks,

Whimbrel at sideway at 18.00hrs flew off north, northwest over Salisbury's distribution warehouse at 18.25hrs.

also 3 wheatear in same area.

3 whitethroat chasing each other by britannia stadium footbridge.

2 reeling groppers next to path that runs up to Hanford. one showing well.

common sandpiper there this morning, again by Hanford path on the flooded bit ( also on canal just north of incinerator ).

common sand also on the pool by Eastern rise at 16.05hrs.

Rob.

Hi folks,

Whimbrel at sideway at 18.00hrs flew off north, northwest over Salisbury's distribution warehouse at 18.25hrs.

also 3 wheatear in same area.

3 whitethroat chasing each other by britannia stadium footbridge.

2 reeling groppers next to path that runs up to Hanford. one showing well.

common sandpiper there this morning, again by Hanford path on the flooded bit ( also on canal just north of incinerator ).

common sand also on the pool by Eastern rise at 16.05hrs.

Rob.

beat me too it as have been as college work is a killer at the moment last mintue stuff;) was present midday but dissapeared when came back through later on glad you picked it up Rob u must off had last views

im up 2 four reeling groppers still around
sedge still about
4 whitethroat 3 of which were where u saw them
2 lesser whites still
3 wheatear have been present all day
most the chiff chaffs have gone now
but plenty of W Warbs

no reed warbs
or hurrindines

Rob keep an eye out for a mega that will turn up eventually up here :t:

11 whiskered tern heading back south over radial park /sideway tomoz before getting to belvide :king: wishing

I daren't return to Radial - I'll turn to Amber, and mention the name Rob, and loads of birders will suddenly jump out of the trees shouting "Yes?".... :)

Terns, Tarts and Two Whimbrel Overhead!

Hey up folks, what started off as a dull a'noon's birdin round poxey countin' Wobblers, turned out quite a bit differently!

The pager said "8 Whiskered Terns at Willington"! So i waited for the next message to say " report of Whiskered Terns at Willington was erroneous", oh no, it said " at least 10 Whiskered Terns at Willington". So a quick text to Mad Malc, meant i'd got a lift sorted but i was still 2 miles from home! So a military style forced march meant i was back home in twenty five, with 3 knackered dogs in tow.

Just over half an hour later Malc wheel spun into the vast carpark at Willington. Before i'd got out of the motor Malc was throwing the keys at me and shoutin' "lock her up pal, it's a lifer"!!! He was like a Cheetah on speed, ten minutes later i caught up with him as he went into a mad victory jig, like birdin's answer to Michael Flatley.3:)

Eleven superb Whiskered Terns all perched right in front of the crowd on the posts cunningly provided for just such an event!:t:

After that we headed back up the track to be greeted by a rather embarassed lookin' lover of scottish islands our very own Fair Isle.:eek!: Almost as much of a shock as Malcs antics and the terns. He'll probably justify it by findin' his own Sedge Warbler or something.3:)

Filled with hope we hit Utch on the way back. No sign of the rest of the tern flock3:) but we did get 2 Whimbrel overhead plus all the currrent bits and bobs.

All in all quite an a'noon, and sounds like quite a few of us connected even young Adam, lookin' like a young Gordon Strachan3:)

cheers

Andy

P.S. like Fair Isle says the forecast looks good, don't wait for it to stop rainin. Get out there!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back