• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Staffordshire (1 Viewer)

Me and Glyn popped over to Whitemore haye looking for Corn Bunting, alas...no Corn Bunting but plenty of Linnets about. A few Greylags landed on the lake while we were scanning, then we went for drive around the lanes. Managed to pick up Grey partridge, Woodcock and Merlin. Then it was over to Chasewater to look at the Male Smew, picked it up quite easily on the far lake along with Widgeon, Pochard, Goldeneye, Goosander and lots of Tufted. Stayed for the Gull roost but didn't manage to see the Glaucus gull, but did manage the Yellow legged and Iceland along with Common gull. 5 new Staffs ticks for me today. Thanks to John for spotting the Gulls for us.

You must have taken a look before I got there Rob if you mean by the Cricket Club - I arrived after the snow and there were 100's of chaffs and linnets which were all put up by a sparrowhawk. From the few I scanned, there were 3 brambling so I'd guess there are many more. Before the snow, there was a little egret on the ponds briefly.
Nick

1.50pm and stayed till 2.10 at the cricket club. The Brambling were in hawthorn at the bottom of the field. Tree sparrows were on feeders in someones garden in the lane. Went to hanchurch after and it started snowing heavy and i give up..lol. First time I've seen Tree Sparrows there so it was a good tick! :t:

male and female bullfinch in the garden just, another garden tick, on a bit of a roll at the moment. just counted up my garden list, currently on 42, 50 should be achievable with a couple of fly overs.

a single redwing in next doors garden now.

adam

Last edited:
This fieldfare as been guarding the apples all day.The black birds haven't had a look in all day. Every time they come in the garden the fieldfare chases them off.It's funny because the blackbird always chases the song thrush off.So it's a bit of pay back i think. lol col:t:

Attachments

• P1010626.JPG
    P1010626.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 9
Froghall to East wall farm and Back

Today I went for a walk along this stretch of the Churnet valley starting at Froghall making my way to East Wall Farm and back. I will be keeping a close eye on this patch across the coming months and seasons.

Today I saw:-

Bullfinch 2f 1m (Heard another)
Wren 3
Robin 6
Jackdaw 5
Blue tit 4
Great tit
Crow
Grey Wagtail 2
Magpie 2
Wood Pigeon
Mallard pair on river and several pairs at East Wall Farm
Buzzard 5 (saw three and heard two)
Jay 1
Siskin 30+ in flight above tree canopy
Black Headed Gull 1
Kestral 1
Heron 1
Tawny Owl 1 (Heard)
Dipper 1
Green Woodpecker 1 (Heard)
Nuthatch 1 (Heard)

A nice walk and the highlight for me was finding my very own Dipper in this part of the Churnet Valley.

Happy Birding

Dean:t:

Last edited:
News From Cheesedale

Huntley quarry is up for sale if any one on here would like to buy it. Any new owner must comply with conditions to restore the 170-acre site to nature. This will be a legal obligation and has been made quite clear by the council. .

Local campaigners are urging Cheadle residents and the town council to consider making a bid for the land and handing it over to Staffordshire Wildlife Trust.

Happy Birding

There is a sign by the crossroads (Bagshaws) saying that it is for sale and there is planning permission for an 18 hole golf course, I stopped and read it this morning. Neil.

It would be a shame, anyone got a couple of million hanging around doing nothing??

It would be a shame, anyone got a couple of million hanging around doing nothing??

pounds....no. Iraqi dinar....yes :king: to save you googling it the conversion rate is 1 GBP : 2000 Iraqi dinar.

would be a waste to see yet another site go from full of wildlife to any kind of development. a quick stat from the RSPB, 5% of land in the uk is currently available for conservation at the moment (which means nothing else is planned for that site at the moment so nature is taking over) yet only 1% is actually managed as nature reserves/green areas. the best way to imagine how little this is is to think that only one yard of a 100m running track is managed, the rest is either currently developed or is waste land.

how much is the site actually for sale for out of? purely out of interest.....found it in the link below

adam

edit* local paper article http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.u...ARRY-SITE/article-1761940-detail/article.html

Last edited:
£500.000, cheaper than I thought it would be. Now if I sell my car, my house and all my possesions (including my body) I might just scrape it.

On a serious note though, there is some great wildlife there, including rare butterflies, moths and Dragonflies, not to mention the Orchids and other flora.

Huntley Quarry

In regard to Huntley Quarry I believe that :-

1) It should become a nature reserve which would be a great asset to Cheadle, North Staffordhire and the Midlands region.

2) The quarry area does need to be secured.

3) It should be a place of peace and quiet and its wildlife should be encouraged and allowed to flourish.

4) There should be an educational facility for people to learn about the wildlife present in the quarry.

5) A golf course is not a good idea and would not help the wildlife there because of disturbance.

6) Motorbikes should not be allowed on to the site. Every year their actions destroy Sand Martin nests. This has got to stop.

7) Any development of this site for nature/wildlife must ensure that disturbance is kept to an absolute minimum.

8) There is some amazing wildlife in this quarry including the scarce Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.

9) Huntley Quarry is a very important site for birds. Those with an interest in moths, butterflies and dragonflies etc also hold similar opinions in regard to the species they are interested in.

10) In and around Cheadle are a number of locations important to wildlife such as Cecilly Brook and Hales Hall Pool. Huntley Quarry is also important but on a bigger scale.

11) There is a need for some vision that puts the wildlife of Huntley Quarry first. I would like to see the RSPB and Staffordshire Wildlife Trust manage the site jointly in partnership with the Staffordshire Moorlands District Council and local people. Its got to be managed properly but at the same time we do not want it to be over manicured.

12) There is so much that can be achieved with this site and I hope very much that the money can be found to protect the site and look after it. If it is lost to some commercial enterprise I am afraid that Cheadle, North Staffordshire and the Midlands will have lost out on an important opportunity.

Happy Birding

Last edited:
This fieldfare as been guarding the apples all day.The black birds haven't had a look in all day. Every time they come in the garden the fieldfare chases them off.It's funny because the blackbird always chases the song thrush off.So it's a bit of pay back i think. lol col:t:
That's where the term" Pecking Order" comes from Col ;)
it happens all the time in our house. The kids are Fieldfare the wife a Blackbird and I'm a old Tit OOPs think that should have been Coal Tit :)

Last edited:
WMBC Staffs meeting tonight

A quick post to flag up the WMBC Staffordshire Branch's indoor
meeting tonight (Tuesday): Birds of the Wetlands
Held at Perkin's Social and Sports Club in Stafford, starting at 7.30.
venue details at:
http://www.westmidlandbirdclub.com/stafford/indoor
cheers
Andy

P.s. apologies for no news from me for a while, not been in action much this year yet: might pick up a bit when I can see where I'm walking the dog in the mornings. Gardenwise, plenty of Redpoll (although can't match Neil's spectacular showing!) and regular Bullfinch visits hammering the sunflower hearts! Very, very few tits though (and they mainly seem to be new birds) and greenfinchs scarce too.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back