• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Staffordshire (4 Viewers)

talking of which, what is that glowing ball in the sky??

Adam

Was wondering the same thing myself, just been onto a night sky website and the following quote is taken from it.

Evening Star

Brilliant-white Venus is now visible in the Western sky after sunset, in the early stages of an evening apparition which will last through to October.

The planet will slowly climb higher in the sky after sunset and drift slightly Northwards over the next couple of months. Maximum elongation from the Sun will take place in mid-August.

Chris.

www.westportlake.blogspot.com

It wont be long before the Pied Flycatchers are back, I spoke to a guy today who said he had seen 3 in the Goyt valley area of Buxton.

Was wondering the same thing myself, just been onto a night sky website and the following quote is taken from it.

Evening Star

Brilliant-white Venus is now visible in the Western sky after sunset, in the early stages of an evening apparition which will last through to October.

The planet will slowly climb higher in the sky after sunset and drift slightly Northwards over the next couple of months. Maximum elongation from the Sun will take place in mid-August.

Chris.

I saw the planet Venus last night from the cliff top at Lizard Point, Cornwall. There was no light pollution other than the beam from the light house and it was amazingly bright.

Dean:t:

Last edited:
Lady luck smiles on me

Bit of a cock up at work today, I got to the venue and it was double booked, so with no chance of plying my trade there was nothing for it but to go birdwatching. Started off at Dimmingsdale to see if I could find the Sand martins. A nice walk down the river for around half a mile and they were there waiting for me, a small flock of around 12/16 birds. They did not venture too close to the river, and I was trying to get a photograph of one in flight (not an easy task). I then went up to the Oakamoor end of the Churnet and managed to see the Dippers and a pair of Coal tits gathering nesting material. From there I went to see if the Ring Ousel had returned to Danebower, I could not locate it, but someone said they had seen a male bird yesterday. There were plenty of Mipits and Wheatear about around the chimney stack area, a Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Kestrel, Raven, Red grouse and Curlew were also seen. I met up with Dave (Bananafishbones) and we went to look for the Pied Flycatchers in the Goyt valley, we could not find any, even though a chap said he had saw them just half an hour before we went. We did see what we thought was an early Hobby go over but we are waiting on further sightings of the bird from the area as someone said it could have been a small immature male Peregrine. The flight pattern just didn't match Peregrine as it was a very fast wingbeat followed by a short glide, we had it in the bins for a while watching it circle then head off North East. We re-checked for the Ring Ousel on the way back, but still no sign.
I then made my way home as it was around 6.30pm. I was going toward Flash on the back road near to where me and Charlie saw the White wagtail and I couldn't believe my luck (so much that I nearly ended up in a ditch) there was not 1, not 2 but 3 Short eared owls quartering 1 small area, brakes on, windows down and out with the camera, as it was still quite bright. The views were probably the best I have had in Staffs, never seeing 3 together before. Here are a few pics. I know my birding day was not all in Staffs, being on the border of 3 counties, Cheshire, Derbyshire and Staffs.

Attachments

• _MG_2164.jpg
    _MG_2164.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 42
  • _MG_2166.jpg
    _MG_2166.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 24
  • _MG_2179.jpg
    _MG_2179.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 28
  • _MG_2194.jpg
    _MG_2194.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 35
  • _MG_2198.jpg
    _MG_2198.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
A couple more pics from Dimmingdale today (Coal tit and Buzzard). And 1 from Flash (Meadow pipit).

Attachments

• buzzard.jpg
    buzzard.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 15
  • coal tit.jpg
    coal tit.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 16
  • mipit.jpg
    mipit.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 17
Cheers guys, get yourself up there if you can, it's well worth the visit to where the SE owls are.

Westport Lake

Westport this morning from 06.40 - 08.40, highlights where, Great Crested Grebe x12, Tufted Duck x30, Grey Heron x1, Chiffchaff x5, Blackcap x2, Willow Tit x2, Great Spotted Woodpecker x1, Reed Bunting x1, Teal x2, Stock Dove x3, Willow Warbler x2 & Grey Wagtail x2.

Total number of species seen was 38.

Chris.

Goes to show, expect the unexpected. Great pictures Neil, I'm really pleased for you.

Charlie

When we go up again Charlie, we need to stay until at least 6.30pm, as this is the time they start to show. I might try again later as I am working in Macclesfield. If you want to meet up, just give me a call on the mobile.

Quick visit to Gailey Reservoirs at lunchtime, pretty quiet as to be expected in the glorious sunshine...birds of note a White Wag on the pontoons, 1 Common Sand, 2 Oystercatcher, 14 Cormorant, 5 Gadwall, sev Little and good numbers of Gt C Grebe.

took the dog for a walk down hoolywall lane and back up reg mitch earlier on. very few things about, but did see two stock odves and a buzzard. is it me or are we getting more reports of stock dove this year than at any time in the past??

adam.

took the dog for a walk down hoolywall lane and back up reg mitch earlier on. very few things about, but did see two stock odves and a buzzard. is it me or are we getting more reports of stock dove this year than at any time in the past??

adam.

had 3 yesterday evening in my garden in the middle of Wolverhampton...the pair certainly seemed to be prospecting the large evergreens...as for the 'gooseberry'...well i think he / she just wanted to watch...:eek!:

Parkhall,
black-caps x2,willow warblers x4, chiffchaff x5,willow tit x2, jay x4,buzzard x4, a cock pheasant,green woodpecker, and little owl x2.

Blithfield -Dam End

A one and a half hour walk at the southern end/along the dam, in the late afternoon sunshine. Rather quiet but the Highlights:

Yellow Wagtail x 11 (2 on the dam and 9 in field off the southern arm)
Willow Warbler x 1
Green Woodpecker x 1
Meadow Pipit x 50
Stock Dove x 4
Oystercatcher x 2

+ plenty of Skylark & Lapwing below the dam.

Rob

Attachments

• DSCN0127.JPG
    DSCN0127.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 22
Well done with the Owls Neil, I was taken out on my first bit of birding since last Sept and went along the same road as you around 3pm but did not see a single bird. Smashing photos mate.
Jim.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back