• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding on the Costa del Sol (Malaga) (3 Viewers)

Bonelli's Eagles in the Guadalhorce Valley (2015.05.24)

Last stage of our young chick in the nest...

This late May rain today might be witnessing the last hours of the juvenile Bonelli’s Eagle at nest.

Attachments

• 2015.05.24 Juv Bonelli's Eagle.JPG
    2015.05.24 Juv Bonelli's Eagle.JPG
    823.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 2015.05.24 Bonelli's Eagle.jpg
    2015.05.24 Bonelli's Eagle.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 48
Birdwatching around Ronda (2015.05.26)

Llanos de Libar, Cueva del Gato, Genal Valley... Fantastic birding day with 62 species identified!

Our day started at the cliffs of Montejaque, where we got the first views of Griffon Vultures, Rock Sparrows, Blue Rock Thrushes and Rock Buntings, and could enjoy watching the first flights of a couple of Peregrine Falcons and how they shortly came back bringing a prey to their nest.

We also placed our telescopes in front of the Cueva del Gato, over the Guadiaro river, with hundreds of Alpine Swifts coming in and out of its mouth though no White-rumped ones spotted. Golden Orioles and Nightingales sang from the poplars in the river.

The travel along the track to the Llanos de Libar was amazing with great views of Black and Black-eared Wheatear, Woodchat Shrike, Melodious Warbler, Cirl Bunting, Short-toed Eagle (with the tail of its prey just showing out of its bill!), Honey Buzzard (+10 individuals on passage over the site), Rock Thrush, Woodlark, Bonelli’s Warbler, Subalpine Warbler, Booted Eagle and a couple of very elusive Orphean Warblers.

Driving through the Genal Valley gave us Bonelli’s Eagle, Black Kite, more Short-toed Eagles (one of them sitting on a pretty close pylon), Golden Eagle, Cuckoo, Kestrel and beautiful views of very active male Dartford Warbler.

Nice Birdaytrip!!

Attachments

• 2015.05.26 Short-toed Eagle with snake.JPG
    2015.05.26 Short-toed Eagle with snake.JPG
    660.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 2015.05.26 Griffon Vultures.JPG
    2015.05.26 Griffon Vultures.JPG
    800.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 2015.05.26 Black-eared Wheatear.JPG
    2015.05.26 Black-eared Wheatear.JPG
    669.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 2015.05.26 Woodlark.JPG
    2015.05.26 Woodlark.JPG
    716 KB · Views: 33
  • 2015.05.26 Subalpine Warbler.JPG
    2015.05.26 Subalpine Warbler.JPG
    761.7 KB · Views: 44
Birdwatching at Fuente de Piedra & El Chorro (2015.06.02)

Black-winged Kites, Lesser Flamingos, Black Wheatears and Rufous Bush Robin were some of the targets for the day.

We started in the farmlands around Campillos where amongst Hoopoes, Crested and Calandra Larks, and lots of Gull-billed Terns quartering the wheat fields like raptors, spotted a wonderful family of Black-winged Kites that we kept on enjoying with the telescopes for quite a long while. Surprisingly for the time of year, a Roller flew past our position and sat on a distant tree for a short time.

Two pairs of Montagu’s Harriers on the way to the Laguna Dulce, where there was a lot of Flamingos, Red-crested Pochards, Red-necked Grebes and several Whiskered Terns. Believe it or not, there were Alpine Swifts at the bottom of the lake!

The Fuente Piedra Lake is almost dry after an extremely short rainfall this season but there are still some flocks of Flamingos feeding in the last ponds with at least three Lesser Flamingos among them. We will always have the Laguneto as a last resort, showing very close Flamingos and lots of breeding Avocets, Black-winged Stilts, Red-crested Pochards and other ducks including Shelducks, and Black-headed Gulls.

We unsuccessfully tried the Rufous Bush Robin around Mollina before heading to El Chorro. I hope I can eventually find some of them before the end of the summer...

We climbed to the top of the cliffs with quite a strong south wind that made it a bit difficult to spot the little bird in the woods and the scrub. Anyway, we got excellent views of Rock Buntings, Crossbills, Blue Rock Thrushes, Black Wheatears and, on the way down the top, after watching vultures and Alpine Swifts, a male Dartford Warbler still singing from the top of a bush and a Short-toed Treecreeper.

Nice birdaytrip!!!

Attachments

• 2015.06.02 Lesser Flamingo, can you spot it.JPG
    2015.06.02 Lesser Flamingo, can you spot it.JPG
    716.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 2015.06.02 Juv Black-winged Kite.jpg
    2015.06.02 Juv Black-winged Kite.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 2015.06.02 Whiskered Tern.jpg
    2015.06.02 Whiskered Tern.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 2015.06.02 Zitting Cisticola.jpg
    2015.06.02 Zitting Cisticola.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 33
  • 2015.06.02 Fasten your seat belts!.JPG
    2015.06.02 Fasten your seat belts!.JPG
    665.6 KB · Views: 32
Early morning birding trip to the mouth of the Guadalhorce (2015.06.16)

After our visit to Río Grande last week, Little Bitterns and White-headed Ducks were the targets today for Jim.

I took the wrong way to the airport this morning and, as Jim mention the airport as a “hot spot” in ebirds, we went on to the north of the runways to try Red-necked Nightjars. And we luckily found a couple just sitting on the track with the first lights of the day and could watch one of them with the scope for a while.

We could also spot Red-rumped Swallow, Turtle Dove, Black-eared Wheatear, Red-legged Partridge, Sardinian Warbler, Zitting Cisticola and all the typical finches of the valley: Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Serin and Linnet.

We moved on to the Guadalhorce where we spotted Bee-eater, Spoonbill, Black-winges Stilt, Flamingo, Slender-billed Gull, Avocet and Audouin Gull.

We found both the Little Bittern and the White-headed Duck at the Laguna de la Casilla and again at the Laguna Escondida.

Attachments

• 2015.06.16 Little Bittern.JPG
    2015.06.16 Little Bittern.JPG
    754.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 2015.06.16 Slender-billed Gulls.JPG
    2015.06.16 Slender-billed Gulls.JPG
    731.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 2015.06.16 Flamingos.jpg
    2015.06.16 Flamingos.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 2015.06.16 Audouin's Gulls.JPG
    2015.06.16 Audouin's Gulls.JPG
    760.1 KB · Views: 42
Just north west of Torremolinos (past water park) Aug 5th;
Stonechat
Zitting Cos
Beeeater
Spott Fly
Serin
Linnet
Red Throated Swallow
Sardinian Warbler
Spectacled Warbler
Spotless Starling
Pallid Swift
Ylg and Med gulls on Coast
2 Hoopoes on 6th flying over.
Harrier spp over hotel (!) ringtail poss Montagu's (is that more likely in this area???)
Also Eagle spp soaring over area moving south. Dark from below and slightly larger than kite sized but no fork tail for Black Kite. Any ideas as no knowledge of local eagles! Didn't have bins for either of the latter!

Last edited:
Just north west of Torremolinos (past water park) Aug 5th;
Stonechat
Zitting Cos
Beeeater
Spott Fly
Serin
Linnet
Red Throated Swallow
Sardinian Warbler
Spectacled Warbler
Spotless Starling
Pallid Swift
Ylg and Med gulls on Coast
2 Hoopoes on 6th flying over.
Harrier spp over hotel (!) ringtail poss Montagu's (is that more likely in this area???)
Also Eagle spp soaring over area moving south. Dark from below and slightly larger than kite sized but no fork tail for Black Kite. Any ideas as no knowledge of local eagles! Didn't have bins for either of the latter!

Zitting Cisticola?

Red-rumped Swallow?

The Eagle could be Booted.....

Apologies, quite right! Should check my predictive texting!
Booted would be a lifer for me.
Are they moving at this time or might it more likely be a local bird?
Having seen the reserve near the airport on this forum site on my return home I wish I'd visited it!

Montagu's are on the move in early August and by far the most likely ringtail at that time. Booted or Short-toed are by far the most likely eagle in that area I should think.

Thanks
For size comparisons Short Toed looks more comparable, Booted bit too small.

If you saw a dark raptor underneath, I could not be a Short-toed as they look very pale (the best trick to identify them!!). Booted Eagles can be seen anywhere in Malaga during the summer and we also have some couples wintering at the mouth of the Guadalhorce. If you saw the eagle north of the water park, it could also be a young Bonelli's Eagle flying from the hills to the north. It is very difficult to say when not used to this local birds and without bins!!

Many chances are that you saw a Montagu's on its way to the Strait. It is one of the target species to spot during the migration.

Congratulations!!

Hi! I had a nice 2 hours in the morning of August 11th at Rio Guadalhorce.

A lot of waders. A Little Stint, a temminck Stint, dunlins, curlew sandpipers, redshanks, greenshanks, Green sandpiper, little Ringed plovers, a ringed plover etc. I got a white-headed duck as a lifer. Also saw a Village weaver which is probably an escapee category? Montagu's harrier male, black kite, 2 flamingos, some med Gulls, kingfishers, hoopoe...Altogether 47 species.

-Finbirder

Birding at the Guadalhorce Valley (2015.10.10)

Back after a very hot and dry summer on the Costa del Sol with a walk around thye Guadalhorce Valley to welcome our nice wintering birds.

Attachments

• 2015.10.10 Black Stork 2.JPG
    2015.10.10 Black Stork 2.JPG
    660.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 2015.10.10 Black Stork.JPG
    2015.10.10 Black Stork.JPG
    886 KB · Views: 78
  • 2015.10.10 Great Egret.JPG
    2015.10.10 Great Egret.JPG
    905.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 2015.10.10 Black-winged Kite.jpg
    2015.10.10 Black-winged Kite.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 2015.10.10 Cormorants.jpg
    2015.10.10 Cormorants.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 62
Birding on the roofs of Malaga city with "The Urban Birder"

“The Urban Birder” is back in Malaga...

David Lindo, the Urban Birder, is working on a very nice project in Malaga.

We did some birdwatching from the roofs, with great surprises like Wheatears and Spotted Flycatchers on the aerials, and had a walk at the mouth of the Guadalhorce with great views of a Black-winged Kite mobbing a Booted Eagle.

You will soon know about the results of the works...!

Attachments

• 2015.10.12 Peregrine Falcon.JPG
    2015.10.12 Peregrine Falcon.JPG
    711.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 2015.10.12 Wheatear.jpg
    2015.10.12 Wheatear.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 2015.10.12 Yellow-legged Gull.JPG
    2015.10.12 Yellow-legged Gull.JPG
    491.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 2015.10.12 Osprey.jpg
    2015.10.12 Osprey.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 2015.10.16 Med Chameleon.JPG
    2015.10.16 Med Chameleon.JPG
    785.4 KB · Views: 61
Bird watching at Fuente de Piedra and Archidona (2015.10.16)

Last rains have not been enough to fill lakes and ponds but birdlife around them is still stunning...

Attachments

• 2015.10.16 Wryneck.jpg
    2015.10.16 Wryneck.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 2015.10.16 Cetti's Warbler.JPG
    2015.10.16 Cetti's Warbler.JPG
    820.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 2015.10.16 Blue Rock Thrush.JPG
    2015.10.16 Blue Rock Thrush.JPG
    854.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 2015.10.16 Stone Curlews.JPG
    2015.10.16 Stone Curlews.JPG
    672.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 2015.10.16 Eagle Owl.JPG
    2015.10.16 Eagle Owl.JPG
    690.8 KB · Views: 78
Goint to be playing golf in December, near Mijas. This is not an area I know and I have never been to Spain in December. So, any suggestions as to sites that would be worth a visit for a couple of hours would be welcome. I will have time each day but I will also have a non-birdwatching brother with me.

Thanks

andy

Goint to be playing golf in December, near Mijas. This is not an area I know and I have never been to Spain in December. So, any suggestions as to sites that would be worth a visit for a couple of hours would be welcome. I will have time each day but I will also have a non-birdwatching brother with me.

Thanks

andy

Andy, I was in the area for the first time a couple of weeks ago and the sites I visited near to where you will be were: the Rio Velez estuary at Torre del Mar; the walk to the viewpoint at the Refugio de Juanar; & the Rio Guadiaro valley between Benoajan & Jimera de Libar near Ronda. Check my trip report for the species seen: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=314006

Birding around Malaga province (2015.11.05)

A necessary exploration after the last heavy rains in Malaga... Have a look at the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPhwfyjcd4Y&spfreload=10 !

I started the day at dawn at El Torcal on my way to the Laguna de Fuente Piedra. Some of the typical winter visitors like Song Thrushes and Ring Ouzels are present in good numbers while other attractive residents like Choughs, Rock and Cirl Buntings and Rock Sparrows keep calling from the rocks all the time and the Griffon Vultures circle in nice flocks over the plateau.

The Laguna de Fuente de Piedra has recovered a small part of its level of water, but it still has to rain much more. The ponds around the visitors centre are still completely dry though a walk beyond the wooden bridge can give us Stone Curlew, Iberian Grey Shrike, Chiffchaff, Cetti’s Warbler, Meadow and White Pipit, Hoopoe and, this time, a Dartford Warbler in the scrub. The Mastic Trees at Cerro del Palo attract big number of Greenfinches and House Sparrows to which is worthwhile having a look in search for Spanish ones.

The little lakes around Campillos are still dry as well but life goes on in the farmlands with Little Bustards, Crested Larks, newly arrived Skylarks and the noisy winter flocks of the Calandra Larks.

I wanted to enjoy the late evening light of the Laguna Grande at the Mouth of the Guadalhorce, where the level of water has increased significantly and waterfowl can happily swim. The population of Shovelers has risen in the last days and the White-headed Ducks, normally confined to the Lagunas Escondida and de la Casilla, have taken possession of the Laguna Grande. All the little islands in this pool have disappeared so waders must have gone to the Rio Viejo except a flock of several Greenshanks that did not give up flying in search of a shallow.

Attachments

• DSCN4431 b.JPG
    DSCN4431 b.JPG
    801.6 KB · Views: 77
Birdwalking at Sierra de Camarolos (2015.12.05)

Watching the display of such majestic birds as the Golden Eagles is one of the most precious gifts of our mountains in Malaga.

The views from the upper reaches of the sierra were fantastic today as there was a sea of clouds just below the highest peaks.

But it was not only the Golden Eagles or the stunning scenery that made a great day, but also many more birds like the big amount of “turdus” in the hawthorns in the shades: Blackbirds, Ring Ouzels, Redwings, Song and Mistle Thrushes, with also Blue Rock Thrushes in the ridges.

I could also spot a couple of Bonelli’s Eagles that were apparently reaching the limits of a conflict will the golden ones.

This is the list of birds identified: Blackbird, Chaffinch, Great Tit, Wood Pigeons, Song Thrush, Blackcap, Nuthatch, Blue Tit, Crested Tit, Wren, Spotless Starling, Hawfinch, Greenfinch, Ring Ouzel, Redwing, Golden Eagle, Sardinian Warbler, Red-legged Partridge, Thekla Lark, Crag Martin, Griffon Vulture, Meadow Pipit, Black Redstart, Blue Rock Thrush, Robin, Goldfinch, Rock Bunting, Bonelli’s Eagle, Chiffchaff, Chough, Mistle Thrush, Black Wheatear, Stonechat, Sparrowhawk, Dartford Warbler, Iberian Grey Shrike and Serin.

Attachments

• 2015.12.05 Golden Eagle 1.JPG
    2015.12.05 Golden Eagle 1.JPG
    492.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 2015.12.05 Golden Eagle 2.jpg
    2015.12.05 Golden Eagle 2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 2015.12.05 Golden Eagle 3.jpg
    2015.12.05 Golden Eagle 3.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 2015.12.05 Golden Eagle 4.JPG
    2015.12.05 Golden Eagle 4.JPG
    570.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 2015.12.05 Bonelli's Eagles.JPG
    2015.12.05 Bonelli's Eagles.JPG
    590.5 KB · Views: 64
Sunrise and Vultures at El Chorro (2015.12.11)

Searching for different angles from which to look at my birding tours, I found this fantastic spectacle today... Have a look at the video: https://youtu.be/XSfRH4iXrpQ

It was still very dark. The temperature was fantastic for this time of the year but the wind made it a bit chilly up there.

The first bird of the day was a male Black Redstart that was roosting in the cave that leads to the entrance of the Caminito del Rey. Once I got to the top, I could hear a Tawny Owl in the distance and, with the first lights of the day, even before the early Blackbirds started calling, the silhouette of the Griffon Vultures started to show up in the horizon... Fantastic!

I was still too dark for pictures so I started filming the vultures.

Then, the first Blackbirds woke up with a Great Tit and a Chiffchaff, and flocks of Chaffinches and Linnets flew past over the hill. Other flying friends were Sparrowhawk, Crag Martin and Spotless Starling.

I could spot the Bonelli’s Eagle perched in the cliffs over the Caminito.

On my way down the summit I found Dartford Warbler and had great views of the gorgeous and friendly Rock Bunting. After that, I had Blue Rock Thrush, Sardinian Warbler, Greenfinch and Serin.

As I approached the woods, Robin, Blue Tit, Black Wheatear, Short-toed Treecreeper, Firecrest, Song Thrush, the calls of the Cetti’s Warbler from the Gaitanejo reservoir and Common Crossbills.

Attachments

• 2015.12.11 Griffon Vulture III.JPG
    2015.12.11 Griffon Vulture III.JPG
    672.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 2015.12.11 Griffon Vulture I.JPG
    2015.12.11 Griffon Vulture I.JPG
    518.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 2015.12.11 Griffon Vulture II.JPG
    2015.12.11 Griffon Vulture II.JPG
    444.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 2015.12.11 Rock Bunting.JPG
    2015.12.11 Rock Bunting.JPG
    882.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 2015.12.11 Black Wheatear.JPG
    2015.12.11 Black Wheatear.JPG
    674.1 KB · Views: 61
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back