• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Slovenia (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Slovenia is an absolute gem of a country, and I am happy to say I'll be going back for my 5th visit in the middle of September.

But, it will be my first since joining BF and my birding became more "serious".

I'll be staying in Bohinj and expect to do a great deal of walking in the region. From previous trips I managed to pick up Black Woodpecker and Nutcracker quite by accident (although I was looking) in the woods close to Ribčev Laz on the South side of the lake, and Crested Tits and Red-backed Shrikes, amongst others, are pretty easy.

However, I'll be grateful for any tips from anyone who knows the region/country well from a birding perspective, as there seems to be relatively little coverage of the country and its birds.

I know we have Mugil from Ixobrychus on BF, although I think I'll struggle to get that far by public transport easily.

I've also done a bit of googling and picked up a report from a few years back by John Cantelo.

Also, I've heard that Ig and the Ljubljana Barje can be very productive... and I might just be able to do that by bus there and back in a day.

I'm "after" anything - but replies containing info on Woodpeckers, Owls or anything gaudily coloured will be particularly well received.

Yours, in anticipation...

Hmmm... seems like most of you have struck fresh air on this one as well.

Anyway, just bumping back up in case anyone missed it.

birdman said:
Hmmm... seems like most of you have struck fresh air on this one as well.

Anyway, just bumping back up in case anyone missed it.

Can't you hire a car there? - even for a few days.

Car Hire has become an option - but of course it is much more expensive than the bus. I think it's EUR 47 a day for the car, whereas the bus would be about 8 quid to get us both to Ig and back.

But a car does open up a bit more of the country, including Sečovlje - trouble is, I don't want to spend a couple of hours driving somewhere at the wrong time of year!

Hi Birdman-

Since you will be in Bohinj, you should take the cableway up to the Vogel Mountain on the south side of the lake and spend some time hiking around.

It is a good place for high altitude species and Black Grouse, too, if you are lucky.

I recently left Slovenia after having lived there for a year and a half. It is a lovely country and I wish you a good trip.

-Adam

Thanks, Adam :t: :t: :t: ... I know the Vogel Cablecar well, and I'm thrilled to bits to find out that there should be something worth looking out for up there.

I'm trying to figure out bus routes (and possible hire car routes) up in the higher areas in the hope of tracking down a Wallcreeper. Don't think Vogel is Wallcreeper territory, but maybe somewhere up Vrata...???

At Vogel, you should see Alpine Chough around the upper cableway station, and if you make it to the barren areas above the tree line, you might find Alpine Accentor.

As for Wallcreeper, the only place I know of where it is easy to see it is at a place in the Kras in the winter. You could try the very top of the Mangart Road (near the Italian border) during your visit, but you will need your own vehicle to get there (a fantastic journey up a winding one lane road - the highest in Slovenia - and good birding all along the way).

Also, since you will be based in Bohinj, a hike from Pokljuka to Planina Lipanca and the top of Debeli Pec is highly recommended. In addition, there are also a couple of high-altitude bogs in Pokljuka that are worth checking out.

-Adam

Many thanks, once again, Adam.

I have been up above the treeline before, to the top of Šija, if I recall correctly, but that was 5 years ago before my "serious" birding days. I do remember seeing one bird in particular up there then, but I didn't recognise it... not Alpine Chough though, for which I will certainly be keeping a sharp eye out for this time.

Mangart is, I think, a little too far away even by car... although you have made it sound very tempting.

I will have another look at my maps this evening. I've been trying to work out some decent walks from Pokljuka, and Debeli Pec sounds familiar, so I'll check that one out.

Forgive me for being over effusive - if that's the right word - but I can't thank you enough!

:t:

More info on Slovenia

Dear Birdman,
I have been birding in Slovenia since 1980....and there's plenty to see, but you really do need sensible wheels, as Adam has suggested, if you want to get to see good other species. The coast, for example, is very nice, and there should be good waders and shearwater movement around in mid-Sept.
You should also be able to pick up a good range of woodpeckers if you vary your habitats, too - beech for Black, oak for Middle-spotted etc. Syrian you can see in the Tivoli park in Lubljana, along with other commoner ones (Green and Gt Spotted).
Let me know if you decide to rent a car, and I'll tell you a few other nice sites.
Dippers, cormorants and grey wagtail, grey heron on the River Sava east of Ljubljana, too.

Best

David

There are a few trip reports here but I suspect you have looked here already. . . http://www.eurobirding.com/tripreports/tripreports_res.php?country=1107&id=3&from=1&to=12&author=&uk=on&de=on&fr=on&se=on&no=on&dk=on&fi=on&nl=on&it=on&page=1

There is also a Travel Forum on that website that might be worth a shot.

A Google search brought me right to the first post in this thread!!!! But all is not lost as there seems a few good sites when you Google Birding Slovenia. On one of the websites it seems thatLjubljana Marshes is an internationally Important Bird Area.

Thanks David, that's superb.

We try to get over to Ljubljana each time we visit, but I had never even thought of birding the Tivoli Park! I'll have to find out the differences between Syrian and other spotted woodpeckers now.

To be honest, I think we will decide on car hire nearer the time - but if we do I'll certainly drop you a pm for some other details.

Very much appreciated :t:

Andrew said:
On one of the websites it seems thatLjubljana Marshes is an internationally Important Bird Area.
Thanks Andrew,

Yes, I have heard mention of that quite a few times, and it was a fellow tourist who recommended Ig (one of the marsh towns) a couple of visits back.

Trouble is, I'm not sure about the timing, and even with a car, it's still a fair way to travel at the wrong time of year.

I'll now go and try the Travel Forum!

I was on a walking holiday in Slovenia a couple of weeks ago and saw Alpine Chough further up from the cable car on Vogel also saw them at the Hut at Golica near the Austrian border just up from Jesenice .I also went for a walk in the woods in Tivoli Park and saw Crested Tit , G S Woodoecker , Nuthatch and Treecreeper .Should be more to see as I had only had a couple of hours there and the trails are quite extensive , hope you enjoy Slovenia as much as I did .

Thanks again, Andrew,

Just had a look at the eurobirding link... the two 2003 reports don't look like any I have come across yet, so I'll have a closer look this evening. :t:

Thankyou for the info also John,

First time we visited Slovenia we saw one or two Crested Tits every day around the hotel in Ribčev Laz. As I said above, they seemed pretty easy, but thinking about it, I don't recall seeing them since. I think Tivoli is now definitely on the agenda!

Don't think I'll manage the hut above Jesenice though!

birdman said:
Thanks again, Andrew,

Just had a look at the eurobirding link... the two 2003 reports don't look like any I have come across yet, so I'll have a closer look this evening. :t:
No probs, I tried to find some books on birding in Slovenia through my bird book websites (favourites list) and came up a blank really.

Need to tell Dave Gosney to go there and write a booklet! ;)

Slovenske ptice

The most helpful book I have ever found (and owned!) on Slovenian birds is Iztok Geister's 'Slovenske Ptice', published by Mladinske Knjiga in 1980, which is a photo guide, but with an extensive introduction which talks about habitat etc. It's probably long out of print, I'm afraid....

The huge plain to the west of Ljubljana is gorgeous, circled by mountains, rivers and streams crawling through it. A home for Gt Grey Shrike, wintering owls and harriers in that season, but you'll be too early for that....

Oh yes, and look out for Hawfinches. I even saw some in the woods around Ljubljana castle once - they're pretty frequent everywhere in the right habitats.

Best

David

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back