• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding (1 Viewer)

Woburn17

England
Hi, i've just joined this forum.
My name is Helen, I'm retired and love Birding and wildlife photography, I live In Lincolnshire, England, UK
I will be visiting Cuba again, (4th time) in February 2024, staying at Sirenis Tropical, Varadero this time.
I would love to know of any birding areas nearby, or trips i could take, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Incidentally, it is usual to display the flag of the country where one lives on here. 🙂

Hello, in the upper right corner of your screen click on your profile, go to account details, scroll down to location, and once you've selected it you can change the flag by changing the location. Welcome to this forum and looking forward to hearing more about Cuba soon!

Hi Helen and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Here is a link to our Cuba page: Category:Cuba - BirdForum Opus in our Opus section. You will find there some links to other pages on the island. I hope you find it helpful.

While some people use the flag of the country they're currently residing in others prefer to use the flag of the country of their birth, others don't want to use any others, like in Europe, like the EU flag. Then there are others that like the tribal ones, like Aborigines. There is no rule. Mapleking has helpfully explained how you change your flag - you can change it again at any time. It looks like you may have already done so.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I wonder why I was told not to use the flag of my birth country then? I was told by a senior person that it is normal to display the flag of one's country of residence or no flag at all. Maybe things have changed, but I very much doubt it.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Flag, no flag, the flag where you live, the flag where you hope to live, it really doesn’t matter; we just hope you find the forum helpful and interesting.

Last edited:
Welcome from another fresh new member on this forum.
Enjoy your time here, there is a lot to learn but it can be time consuming...;)

Hi, i've just joined this forum.
My name is Helen, I'm retired and love Birding and wildlife photography, I live In Lincolnshire, England, UK
I will be visiting Cuba again, (4th time) in February 2024, staying at Sirenis Tropical, Varadero this time.
I would love to know of any birding areas nearby, or trips i could take, thanks in advance.
Will you be using a guide or tour operator or do you plan to travel independently?

We found Cuba to be very 'doable', but fuel is in short supply and transpo is expensive and needs to be planned carefully. Birding locations you can identify through eBird and blogs pretty easily. Private guides are available and if interested I'd suggest a separate thread and I'm sure you'll get good suggestions.

Very interesting country and lovely birds! Have a great trip...

Will you be using a guide or tour operator or do you plan to travel independently?

We found Cuba to be very 'doable', but fuel is in short supply and transpo is expensive and needs to be planned carefully. Birding locations you can identify through eBird and blogs pretty easily. Private guides are available and if interested I'd suggest a separate thread and I'm sure you'll get good suggestions.

Thank you for your repl

Thank you for your reply but we aren't going to Cuba now. (building work in progress) we are now going to Goa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back