• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdproofing windows in our home (1 Viewer)

Lerxst

The link below has an overview of a project I have mostly completed at our house, to eliminate the occasional bird/glass interaction. We have a large wall of windows that we have been trying to "fix" for several years now.

We had been using vinyl sihouettes of raptors, but it simply was not working. So we added more every year, with similar poor results.

During a recent trip, I forget where, exactly, we came across a visitor center with a lot of windows, which were tastefully decorated on the outside with a series of parallel strings or cords hanging down a few inches apart. So I tried to devise something similar at home. In the process I stumbled across a site that manufactures these structures, but also has a lot of DIY advice.

Too early to tell how effective this is, but it sure looks a lot better, and I cannot imagine birds flying into this.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back