• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (17 Viewers)

A fresh afternoon walk in clear, cold conditions was considerably enlivened for five seconds when a female Merlin dashed across the golf course. Always a pleasing bird to get here. Not too much else around. Nine Common Scoters were still in Nigg Bay and there were six Red-throated Divers.

A very grey, cold walk around the headland early in the evening turned out to be unexpectedly eventful. My first Sandwich Tern of the year heading north was good to see, and I expected it to be the bird of the day.

Then things got very weird when I was walking around the south side of the golf course. Two plump birds flew up from some rough grass and it took a second or two for me to register what they were. They were clearly partridges, though they disappeared before I could confirm which species. A few minutes later, I thought I heard one, but couldn't find anything until I'd double-backed on myself and come back around the small hill. The two birds then flushed from somewhere in front of me and flew across to the next ridge. Happily, one put down for a few seconds on the path before disappearing into cover. As I suspected, these were Grey Partridges - my first ever record here and I suspect the first that will have been seen here for many decades. I flushed them again as I walked along the ridge - they were very flighty by this stage - but hopefully they will stay in the area. Interestingly, my only other partridge sighting here was of a Red-legged, which was also in April and in almost exactly the same area.

Just for good measure, I picked out four Pheasants on Tullos Hill for an unprecedented gamebird double.

The rain cleared by late morning and the weather was quite pleasant for a while, with fairly light winds and milder temperatures. It was a good time to look around St Fittick's, particularly along the sheltered railway embankment. My first Blackcap of the year showed very well. Other birds included eight Chiffchaffs, three Goldcrests, a Yellowhammer, six Teal, and two Stock Doves. Nine Common Scoters were still in Nigg Bay. I had a look for yesterday's Grey Partridges but couldn't find anything.

By late afternoon the skies were bright but the winds were very strong. Things were sheltered along the north shore of the headland where a very approachable White Wagtail was trotting about. Six Sandwich Terns flew across the harbour mouth. Seawatching was a challenge but, almost immediately on arriving, a very early Bonxie headed north. Not too much else was happening, although three Teal also flew north.

Attachments

• Blackcap_Girdle Ness_060424a.jpg
    Blackcap_Girdle Ness_060424a.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Yellowhammer_Girdle Ness_240324a.jpg
    Yellowhammer_Girdle Ness_240324a.jpg
    494.8 KB · Views: 10
  • White Wagtail_Girdle Ness_060424b.jpg
    White Wagtail_Girdle Ness_060424b.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 10
  • White Wagtail_Girdle Ness_060424a.jpg
    White Wagtail_Girdle Ness_060424a.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Turnstone_Girdle Ness_060424a.jpg
    Turnstone_Girdle Ness_060424a.jpg
    676.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Redshank_Girdle Ness_060424a.jpg
    Redshank_Girdle Ness_060424a.jpg
    605.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_060424a.jpg
    Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_060424a.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Bullfinch_Girdle Ness_060424a.jpg
    Bullfinch_Girdle Ness_060424a.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Bonxie_Girdle Ness_060424a.jpg
    Bonxie_Girdle Ness_060424a.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 11
Another mild, windy day that was mostly sunny but had occasional showers. I started out around the headland. Two Sandwich Terns flew through the harbour. An interesting sight was of a warbler coming in off the sea, landing briefly on the fence by the middle pier and then heading into the bushes. I had some brief looks at on the deck and I think it was a Willow, but the views weren't conclusive.

Offshore, plenty of birds were milling around but not that much was moving more concertedly. Two Long-tailed Ducks and six Common Scoters went north. Nine more of the latter were in Nigg Bay, along with a Black Guillemot.

St Fittick's held a good mix of things, including a Redpoll, a Siskin, two Yellowhammers (both males - I think up to four birds have been present recently), seven Chiffchaffs, a Stock Dove, six Teal, and a late Fieldfare. The bird of the day appeared around the sports pitch between the Tullos Burn and the railway embankment. I heard buzzing 'speez' a couple of times and, after double-taking, spotted a pipit flying into the bushes along the burn. I realised it was a Tree Pipit and a few minutes later it reappeared and perched nicely in the trees along the embankment. This always seems to be scarce here and it's particularly good to see one perched. It's another very early date as well.

Attachments

• Tree Pipit_Girdle Ness_070424a.jpg
    Tree Pipit_Girdle Ness_070424a.jpg
    604.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Sandwich Tern_Girdle Ness_070424a.jpg
    Sandwich Tern_Girdle Ness_070424a.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 17
Back to rather grey and cold weather again today. I had a look around early in the evening. Once again, I saw the pair of Grey Partridges on the south side. I actually flushed them from exactly the same area I did the other day and got reasonable views as they flew into the gorse. I wonder what they're up to. A Black Guillemot and nine Common Scoters were in Nigg Bay. Not much at St Fittick's at dusk, although there were a couple of Yellowhammers. A Stock Dove and two Pheasants on Tullos Hill ensured a two gamebird and four pigeon day. What a time to be alive. A bat was flying about along Victoria Road - I think the first time I've seen one in that area.

Asking the hard questions there. The Tree Pipit was calling quite a bit, which is fairly distinct from Meadow (much raspier). Also note the fine flank streaks and broken eye ring formed by a dark line between the eye and the bill. Also the toes are relatively short and curved. And it's in a tree!

With White Wagtail, they're paler and greyer on the back, rump and flanks than Pied, although sometimes they can be very similar.

With White Wagtail, they're paler and greyer on the back, rump and flanks than Pied, although sometimes they can be very similar.
Thanks Andrew.

Now that's funny, I thought I heard a long time ago that the White Wagtail had a white rump, but when you didn't mention that, I looked in the Opus article, and it doesn't say that there either. I think I've only ever seen a White one once and it was a long time ago.

@Cucurrucucu the Opus article does show so clearly the differences in the back colour: White Wagtail - BirdForum Opus

Always learning LOL

Asking the hard questions there. The Tree Pipit was calling quite a bit, which is fairly distinct from Meadow (much raspier). Also note the fine flank streaks and broken eye ring formed by a dark line between the eye and the bill. Also the toes are relatively short and curved. And it's in a tree!

When I was on Fair Isle in 1992 the warden (Paul Harvey) could identify Tree Pipits purely by the way they flew. Needless to say I've only ever been able to identify them if they're fluttering up and down singing above a tree. The words 'Pipit' and "Acrocephalus warbler" tend to make my brain go into seizure mode. Calidris 'peeps' are a dawdle by comparison.

Thank you everyone. Lazy, I know, but I think the best way of identifying things is to upload videos here!
Unlike "white" wagtails, male blackcaps live up to their names.
We have a pair of them now. Are they gaining weight before breeding elsewhere or are they likely to set up nest in Abbey Road?
The most exciting thing on the new harbour yesterday were two truck spotters. I'm sure they don't have problems with identification. Their targets have names clearly written on them.

Needed displacement activity while trying to work out the CGT on the house we have had on Freycinet Peninsular since I was 6.
Going though videos, rubbing what I've lost.
These little chaps love cheese.
View attachment Hobart 23,1,3 blue wren .mov
WikiP: "Superb fairywren Malurus cyaneus cyaneus is found throughout Tasmania. Larger and darker than the mainland subspecies, with males having a deeper azure blue coloration. Some authorities have also reclassified subspecies elizabethae and samueli under M. c. cyaneus."
The video doesn't show the wonderful metallic purple shield on his chest.
How does something with that brilliant plumage survive in the wild? Do their predators not see the colour, the contrast or the shine?
Back to the spreadsheet.

Back to Torry today, where it was characteristically cold and grey, with regular light rain. Things weren't vastly different from the last time I looked around nearly two weeks ago. The headland was fairly quiet, although a bright male Sparrowhawk caused a lot of consternation among the other birds in the allotments. Offshore, two Sandwich Terns drifted and two Long-tailed Ducks went south. Eight Common Scoters were still in Nigg Bay. I wonder how long they'll stay there.

St Fittick's was fairly quiet but I soon heard my first Willow Warbler of the year. I couldn't find any others, although the cold may have been putting them off. Other birds around included a Siskin, a Redpoll, a Blackcap, eight Chiffchaffs, four Stock Doves and two Sand Martins, one of which was prospecting around Nigg Bay.

Attachments

• Common Scoter_Girdle Ness_210424a.jpg
    Common Scoter_Girdle Ness_210424a.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 4
  • Willow Warbler_Girdle Ness_210424a.jpg
    Willow Warbler_Girdle Ness_210424a.jpg
    493.5 KB · Views: 4
Is this your tree pipit?
View attachment tree pipit .mov
The Tree Pipit was calling quite a bit, which is fairly distinct from Meadow (much raspier). And it's in a tree!
Not because of its markings or call but because it is in a tree?
As opposed to the meadow pipit 1 meadow pipit 7.jpg, the rock pipit 2 rock pipit  43.JPG,
the proper rock pipit 3 proper rock pipit   9.JPG, the lichen pipit 4 lichen pipit 79.JPG,
the barbed wire pipit View attachment barbed wire pipit 110.JPG, the cow parsley pipit 6 cow parsley pipit 58.JPG,
the flotsam pipit 8 flotsam pipit 26.JPG, the gorse pipit 9 gorse pipit  31.JPG,
the fence pipit 10 fence pipit 3.JPG, the paling pipit 7 paling pipit  86.JPG
and the local history information plinth pipit View attachment plinth pipit 85.JPG.

Yes to Common Sandpiper. Good to know that they're arriving.

All of the pipits are Meadow Pipits except for the one on flotsam, which is a Rock Pipit. The song in the video is a typical Meadow Pipit song.

A pleasant but rather cool evening walk produced one or two interesting things. A Willow Warbler along the north bank was presumably a migrant. Wheatears had arrived with at least five on the golf course. Offshore, good numbers of seabirds were moving and I picked out a Puffin in a larger flock of auks and then my first Manx Shearwater of the year headed north. Eight Common Scoters were still in Nigg Bay. A quick look at the marsh produced two Teal and a calling Snipe. There seemed to be more Willow Warblers singing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back