• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HinzundKunz

Tanzania
Hello everyone. Today I took some pictures of birds at our water tap. I can identify most of them: House sparrow, Village Indigobird (some females, some males changing color right now), Reichenow's Seedeater, Green-winged Pytilia, Blue-capped Cordon Bleu, Vitelline-masked weaver, Black-necked Weaver, African Silverbill, White-eye (either pale our southern yellow), Bulbul.
But there are a few I don't recognize. Can someone help me with them? Thanks a lot!DSC04893.JPG

Attachments

• DSC04923.JPG
    DSC04923.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 32
  • DSC04920.JPG
    DSC04920.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 22
  • DSC04903.JPG
    DSC04903.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 23
  • DSC04900.JPG
    DSC04900.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 21
  • DSC04898.JPG
    DSC04898.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 22
  • DSC04897.JPG
    DSC04897.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 22
  • DSC04895.JPG
    DSC04895.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 31
Is it possible for you to take one or two of the photos into Photoshop or similar, and draw a circle around the birds you say you can't identify. Otherwise how are we supposed to know what you are asking about?

The two birds in the grass in image DSC04898.JPG (they are also in DSC04897 and DSC4903). They are slightly bigger than the others (although smaller than the bulbuls). They kind of look like scrub robins or robin chats, but they lack the wing markings for the red-backed scrub robin (their backs look more like a weaver), and they lack the bright orange for the white-browed robin-chat (and I don't know yet how big those are, so I can't compare the size).
They have just moved into our farm recently, maybe a couple of weeks now since I first saw them.

A great collection of birds, by the way. Greatly missing Africa; with an annual trip for ten years, thanks to covid, it's been almost five years without any foreign travel. Hopefully next year, when my wife retires and the world will be calmer?!

By the way, in your list of birds in your garden, you missed the African Blue-flycatcher - see below.

BF AB-F.jpg

Thanks everybody for your replies.
The unidentified birds have been identified as Eastern Black Bishops in non breeding plumage.
The day before yesterday I could see 39 species of birds over the course of the day, most of them without even leaving my house. I love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back