• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Cumbria (1 Viewer)

Neil and I are having a week or so in the Lakes (just packing the car now o:)) and I'm looking forward to getting out and about birding for virtually the first time since May.

Is it too late for the Ospreys at Bassenthwaite? If so, I'll catch up with them next year ;)

Just been walking today around the Sawreys and Windermere's West side-not a great deal seen to be honest, and even less on Windermere itself, which isn't too surprising I suppose.

However, just by a house at Belle Grange I got a Robin to feed from worms off my hand, which really did make my day-perhaps it had been tamed by the owner of the house or something.

Sad to see the donation box on the squirrel platform has been obliterated as well, and even worse to see grey squirrels everywhere, even surrounding the "red squirrel viewpoint"!

I had a walk along to the Glenridding Mines today whilst hubby was helping our friend do some building work on his garage.
A few mixed groups of tits, chaffinch and a single Nuthatch - very quiet otherwise.

Quite a few Buzzard around though - including one being dive-bombed by a male Kestrel as it perched in the upper branches of a fellside tree.

Hopefully popping around to Haweswater tomorrow :t: It would be nice to eventually catch up with the Eagle and hoping to see some red deer rutting....hopefully we aren't too early this year: last year we were too late :-O

Returned from Leighton Moss(Lancs-but just over the border).Good views of a Merlin in the reed bed,eating dragonflies,lots of Goldcrests,and a Marsh tit visiting the feeders.

Female Red-crested Pochard on southern end (Glenridding/Patterdale) of Ullswater this morning at 11.15am.
No sign of it as I walked back to Glenridding at 1.30 - though it may have moved because of lots of canoes on water by then.

hello all...im heading to keswick in the new year and i looking for gd places to see birds..like kingfisher hawfinch and many more if possable..would appreciate any help in finding these places thanks .........

Campfield Marsh & Bowness GP

The Juv Stilt Sandpiper was still there feeding early afternoon.
Bowness GP in brilliant sunshine saw 3 Speckled Wood Butterflies also many Common Darter and a few Common Hawker Dragonflies. There was Common Lizard sunning itself on the top of a fence post.
Ian Carswell

Attachments

• Speckled Wood Bowness GP.jpg
    Speckled Wood Bowness GP.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 67
  • common Lizard Bowness GP.jpg
    common Lizard Bowness GP.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 94
Vivster, Kingfisher seen quite often at Bassenthwaite-from the hide, we saw numbers of Bullfinch there in January.
Naddle Wood at the Burnbanks end of Haweswater is good for typical woodland birds, Nuthatch/Treecreeper/G S Woodpecker, its also good for Green Woodpecker.
Siddick Pond in Workington is good for waterfowl and there used to be a starling roost which could bring in Sparrowhawk and the odd Merlin.
Depends how far you want to travel but Hawfinch were seen in Whinlatter Forest but personally ive seen them at Woodwell not far from Leighton Moss. Sizergh Castle by Kendal is normallly reliable for winter sightings of these birds.

cheers

Sneaked over the border this morning and spent most of day watching the Stilt Sandpiper, still present when I left at 16.30hrs. Nice to meet and chat to the birders from far and wide who also turned up, superb day thank you Cumbria.

Stewart

Managed to grab an hour at Campfield Marsh this afternoon. Foul weather though, with horizontal rain on a 50mph wind from the SW. Saw my first redwings of the year - 2 individuals, then a small flock of around a dozen, so they made up for it nicely. Went home happy.

Pair of Long Tailed ducks on Talkin Tarn today, the male complete with long tail.

cheers Nick

Attachments

• LT Ducks TT 4 v2.jpg
    LT Ducks TT 4 v2.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 78
Campfield marsh foreshore 2 Little Egrets this afternoon, Short-eared Owl briefly (driven off by corbies) All the usual waders included 30+ Grey Plover at high tide on foreshore.
A Swallow in Bowness village near the pub almost caused a road accident as we left the area at 15.30hrs (my latest ever!)

Just out of the area, called at Gretna Starling roost on way home it all kicked off at 16.30hrs with 100,000+ birds putting on a spectacular show till 17.00hrs. A truly rewarding day.

Stewat

Ring Necked Duck back at Bassenthwaite on Sunday. Saw a solitary Waxwing at Siddick Pond yesterday and also female and young Otter less than 50 feet from the path, fantastic.

cheers

Got down to RSPB Leighton Moss this morning (and yes, I do know its actually in Lancs, but its only just over to border, and is a 'regular' for me, and lots of other Cumbrians)

SUPERB views of Bearded Tits. Max at any one time was about 8 or 9 birds, at around 9.30-10.30 am. All seen out in the open, on the grit tables beside the Causeway, not more than 20m away.

Took some video, so will try to get it uploaded to Birdforum.tv over the weekend if time allows.

Popped in to Sizergh on the way home to try and see a Hawfinch or two, but nothing much showing. Anyone know when is the best time to see them?

Waxwings

A flock of 45 were joined by another flock making aprox 80-90 Waxwings this morning between 10-1030 at Charles Street Barrock Street near Fusehill Street old Hospital.
Ian C

Attachments

• Waxwings.jpg
    Waxwings.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 55
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back