• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Cumbria (2 Viewers)

Hodbarrow

Two pics from Hodbarrow on the 17th March.
Peter.

Attachments

• 016-Chiffchaff-1-Mar09E.jpg
    016-Chiffchaff-1-Mar09E.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 015Reed-Bunting-Male-1-Mar.jpg
    015Reed-Bunting-Male-1-Mar.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 54
Thanks Peter.May I add,that if anyone is in this area,Hodbarrow RSPB is a good place to visit.Many waders,migrants arriving,inc the Terns,Eiders,Shovellers,Shelducks etc,but you need a fine day!!!

Wansfell Avenue Carlisle

16 Waxwing at 0820 this morning at Wansfell Avenue off Woodend Drive off Dalston Road.
Ian Carswell

Attachments

• 25th March 09  2.jpg
    25th March 09 2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 55
Flock of around 200 Redpolls off Stagstones Road, Penrith, opposite Stagstones Farm. A few Goldfinches and Chaffinches amongst them too. Still looking through the photos, and will update if I spot anything else.

200 :eek!:

Yep; I was surprised too, but unless I've made some error with ID, Redpolls is what they were.

They never really came close enough for anything but record shots, but for what its worth, here are some of them:

Attachments

• DSC_2581b.jpg
    DSC_2581b.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_2585b.jpg
    DSC_2585b.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_2587b.jpg
    DSC_2587b.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_2568a.jpg
    DSC_2568a.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_2564a.jpg
    DSC_2564a.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
WOW....that's amazing - never seen anything like it, great work!

I've only ever seen max 30ish Redpoll at a time.

I saw that (30ish) near River Eden in Carlisle, so i wonder if there is a good population round these areas?

A BF member,Peter Truelove,posted a shot of a Redpoll taken in his garden last week(Windermere area),so these birds are to be seen around this area of Cumbria.
This county,does show a huge diversity of species,due to the habitat of the countryside.Mountains,fir/pine woods,general woodlands,farms(old barns etc for Owls),marshes,lots of farmers fields,lakes,streams and of course the coastline from the Solway Firth down to Morecambe Bay.The only drawback for finding an exact location for a certain species,is the fact that there are huge open spaces across the mountains etc,so can be difficult for birders to pinpoint an exact location.But Cumbria is an amazing county for a huge variety of species.

Male Osprey returned to Bass lake today and landed on the nest Dodd wood side. Also a Lesser pecker seen form the A66 layby side. Apparently seen last night too.

Female returned a few hours later too. Both back on the nest!

Both birds are indeed back on the Dodds Wood nest today.

However, when I arrived at about 10.00 this morning, there was a single bird perched in the trees to the right of the OLD nest site, soaking up the bright morning sunshine. It flew off to the SE about 20 minutes later.

Now I can't say for sure whether this bird was one of the pair or not; it may well have been, and simply circled back to the nest. On the other hand, maybe it wasn't. I didn't get another sighting, but it may be worth keeping an eye on the area...just in case ;)

Took a walk down to Brougham Castle yesterday, and amongst the usual, also saw:

Buzzard sitting on a fence post, Swallows, House Martins, Goldfinches, Grey Wag, GSW, pair of Goosander on the Eamont, and a Dipper.

My first skuas of the year yesterday 22/4. On a day of completely the wrong wind 2 adult Pom skuas flew low against the water with slow steady flight past Bowness viaduct at 9.40am. Also seen in the next 1.5 hours 1 ad Little gull, 49 Kittiwakes, 11 RT divers, 3 GC Grebes, 4 Scoter, 3 Sandwich Terns, 3 Commic Terns , 9 RB Mergansers and 2 Lesser Whitethroats were singing and a Grasshopper Warbler reeling in the gorse.

cheers nick

Spent a few hours in Longsleddale today, hoping to catch sight of a Ring Ouzel. Conditions were poor, being very overcast, cold and damp, with cloud swirling quite low down the fell sides.

Amongst others, I saw Ravens, Buzzard, Peregrine, Wheatears, Meadow Pipits, Pied Wags, Heron, and heard a Green Woodpecker.

Heard a Ring Ouzel singing away quite happily in the midst of a boulder field, probably 200yds away, but despite about 2 hours of watching, joined for a while by another couple of birders, never made eye contact with it...another day maybe. :-C

Light was too poor for any decent pics, but these are the best of a bad lot:

Attachments

• DSC_3585a.jpg
    DSC_3585a.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_3560a.jpg
    DSC_3560a.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_3537a.jpg
    DSC_3537a.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Spent an hour at St Bees walked along the cliffs to the shingle beach - my first visit - three peregrines over - down to 20m above the path, loads of linnet, stone chats, cormorants all over the cliffs, ravens, grey rock pipit drinking from streams on the beach, herring gulls and oystercatchers but no kittiwakes or black guillemots - guess I was a couple of weeks early for the later? Anyway cracking place and a nice walk...

Attachments

• Peregrine - .jpg
    Peregrine - .jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Cormorant.jpg
    Cormorant.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Rock Pipit - .jpg
    Rock Pipit - .jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 65
Spent an hour at St Bees walked along the cliffs to the shingle beach - my first visit - three peregrines over - down to 20m above the path, loads of linnet, stone chats, cormorants all over the cliffs, ravens, grey rock pipit drinking from streams on the beach, herring gulls and oystercatchers but no kittiwakes or black guillemots - guess I was a couple of weeks early for the later? Anyway cracking place and a nice walk...

I had 2 Whinchat there todat too, saw Load of kittiwakes, but didnt look for black guillemots, had 6 there a few weeks ago!!

Attachments

• Whinchat-st-bees2.jpg
    Whinchat-st-bees2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 53
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back