• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Cumbria (1 Viewer)

Tawny Owls

I was surprised to find 2 Tawny Owls late afternoon in Carlisle Cemetery, surprised because since August there has only been one around then last Friday a recent dead Tawny Owl was found, presumed killed by the local Crow population.
Ian C

Long Billed Dowitcher still showing well in Port Carlisle harbour yesterday morning, and at Grune Point 2 Little Stint in the creek east of the point.

cheers nick

Hi Nick/all,
The stints are interesting, as you know, Nick, up to three wintered there last year or was it the year before?

There have been a lot more winter thrushes to the SW of Wigton today. Anyone seen more thrushes/hard weather movements yet?
Dipper in R.Waver today.

Friend reported two Grey Squirrels at Talkin Tarn yesterday...I guess you guys that visit regular see them. He reported them to relevant body.

Didn't realize you were a Tolkien fan, Nick!
Moricambe

Last edited:
Hi Nick/all,
The stints are interesting, as you know, Nick, up to three wintered there last year or was it the year before?

There have been a lot more winter thrushes to the SW of Wigton today. Anyone seen more thrushes/hard weather movements yet?
Dipper in R.Waver today.

Friend reported two Grey Squirrels at Talkin Tarn yesterday...I guess you guys that visit regular see them. He reported them to relevant body.

Didn't realize you were a Tolkien fan, Nick!
Moricambe

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world sad but merrier,I must leave now.
Thorins last words after being mortally wounded in the battle of the five armies.

Solway Birder wrote:
If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world sad but merrier,I must leave now.
Thorins last words after being mortally wounded in the battle of the five armies.

Absolutely. Wise words, pity about the bankers!

Raven over R.Waver, s.w. of Wigton, today.

Spotted Redshank, Little Egret & Long-billed Dowitcher still in Port Carlisle harbour early afternoon (despite the blizzards), Also Blackcap calling in bushes to the east of the Bowling Club.

B

Spent the day at a deserted Leighton Moss, at least in the morning, my first sighting of Beardies on the grit trays so i was prepared to go home happy but my train was not due till 5 so hung around, and down at lower, three more landed in the reeds right in front of the hide, damned difficult to get on the mobile little beggars but i stuck at it, couple of water rails knocking about too and wrens aplenty, others included,sparrowhawk,mistle and song thrush, stonechat,meadow pipit

Frank

Attachments

• Bearded Tits.jpg
    Bearded Tits.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Bearded Tit male.jpg
    Bearded Tit male.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Bearded Tit female.jpg
    Bearded Tit female.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Water Rail.jpg
    Water Rail.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Marsh Tit.jpg
    Marsh Tit.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 46
Hi Frank,
Nice pictures. Please, what set up are you using?
atb
Derek

Spent the day at a deserted Leighton Moss, at least in the morning, my first sighting of Beardies on the grit trays so i was prepared to go home happy but my train was not due till 5 so hung around, and down at lower, three more landed in the reeds right in front of the hide, damned difficult to get on the mobile little beggars but i stuck at it, couple of water rails knocking about too and wrens aplenty, others included,sparrowhawk,mistle and song thrush, stonechat,meadow pipit

Frank

looks like another one kicked off yahoo groups hi lads...
Port Carlisle the Long-billed Dowitcher and Spotted Redshank still present there today...

Last edited:
Couple of pics from Today

Attachments

• Long-billed-dowitcher-portJ.jpg
    Long-billed-dowitcher-portJ.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Long-billed-dowitcher-portH.jpg
    Long-billed-dowitcher-portH.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 56
  • Long-billed-dowitcher-portC.jpg
    Long-billed-dowitcher-portC.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 51
Couple of pics from Today

Hi Craig,
Great, Dowitcher pictures.
It is nice having this facility where pics can be posted with the record.

I remember being surprised how flexible some waders bills were, many moons ago.

Pinks moving again over Waterside this am.
Dipper calling in R.Waver.

I would like to get to see the Dowitcher, are the roads round Port OK, Craig?

Difficult getting out here the last few days, treacherous icing on back road and house drive.
atb
Derek

Hi Craig,
Great, Dowitcher pictures.
It is nice having this facility where pics can be posted with the record.

Pinks moving again over Waterside this am.
Dipper calling in R.Waver.

Difficult getting out here the last few days, treacherous icing on back road and house drive.
atb
Derek

Roads are fine Derek, just take it steady....

Nice pics Craig - I remember Darren took a pic of a Bar-tailed Godwit a good few years again (surprisingly on the river Esk if memory serves me correctly) showing the bill dips flexing outwards. I think this is the only other time I have seen this.

Roads were fairly clear today, though avoid the Glasson road - a bit like an ice rink today!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back