• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Cumbria (2 Viewers)

The Long-billed Dowitcher and Spotted Redshank were both still present at Port Carlisle today (28th).

Regards
B

Attachments

• Long-billed-Dowitcher-Port-Carlisle-27122009-(26).jpg
    Long-billed-Dowitcher-Port-Carlisle-27122009-(26).jpg
    93 KB · Views: 47
Grune Point this morning 1 Little Stint, Greenshank, Ring Tail Hen Harrier, Merlin, 2 Peregrine, 1 Brambling with c20 Chaffinch, 20 Fieldfare, 25 Grey Plover, c4000 Barnacle Geese, Jack Snipe, Snipe, c600 Widgeon, c50 Bar Tailed Godwit, c20 Twite lots of dunlin and Knot.

Port Carlisle lunchtime LB Dowitcher showed very well, Spotted Redshank, 2 drake Goldeneye, Raven

cheers nick

At Grune Point today the highlights were:

1 Little Stint
2 Greenshank
1 Merlin
50+ Twite

Plus the usual!

Long-billed Dowitcher was still present at Port Carlisle and 10 Brambling in Beeches at Swallow Bank/Barney House near Wigton (NY242463)

Regards
B

Red Throated Diver on the Eden upriver from Rockliffe late afternoon.

I've attached a couple of my recent Dowitcher pics to.

cheers Nick

Attachments

• LBD cr.gif
    LBD cr.gif
    66.6 KB · Views: 47
  • LBD PC 2 cr.gif
    LBD PC 2 cr.gif
    130.6 KB · Views: 46
LB Dowitcher still in the harbour at Port Carlisle this afternoon, also 2 Spotted Redshank and Little Egret.
Also PB Brent Goose on saltmarsh opp Anthorn and Merlin, Hen Harrier and 2 Peregrine.
c800 Barnacle Geese near Cardurnock contained a leucistic bird.

cheers Nick

Attachments

• Barnie.jpg
    Barnie.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 49
Nice shot Nick.

2 1st winter Common Redpoll with 70+ Lesser redpoll at soddy Gap this morning, no sign in the afternoon but 8 Stock Dove.

Took a walk up to the Dodd Wood feeding station this afternoon. First 3 photos were from there, Redwing was taken as I left home. GSW was interesting, as it was picking up the hazelnuts, and bringing them to this stump, which it was using as an anvil. Squirrel seem to like the spot too.

As an aside, I was up at Talkin Tarn just before Xmas, and saw no red squirrels at all; however, I did see TWO greys, which was somewhat disheartening; does anyone know if there's any plan for their eradication from this area?

Attachments

• DSC_1592a.jpg
    DSC_1592a.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_1617a.jpg
    DSC_1617a.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_1650a.jpg
    DSC_1650a.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_1575a.jpg
    DSC_1575a.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 43
Nice picture, Nick. I'm ashamed to say I've never been to Port Carlisle (that I recall, at least). Judging by the posts in this thread, it looks well worth a visit.

Status of Marsh/Willow Tits in Cumbria?

Hi all,

I'm currently visiting Cumbria (holed up in Grasmere for a few days for my birthday), and I saw a Willow Tit (I think) today on the peanut feeder I set up. I didn't get a great view, maybe 5 seconds in the fading 4pm light, but the black cap seemed pretty dull - not helped by the light of course - which swayed it. Didn't catch any view of the wings or a chance to check the neck size. Black bib looked small (a la Marsh) but not neat...

Anyway, this got me thinking about which of Marsh and Willow Tit I was most likely to encounter in The Lakes in Winter. I've had a look at the BTO BirdAtlas maps online but these seem inconclusive (or, more likely, I can't interpret them properly!) so wondered if any of you guys could help?

Hopefully I'll get some more and better views tomorrow.

Cheers all

Nick

Anyway, this got me thinking about which of Marsh and Willow Tit I was most likely to encounter in The Lakes in Winter. I've had a look at the BTO BirdAtlas maps online but these seem inconclusive (or, more likely, I can't interpret them properly!) so wondered if any of you guys could help?

Cheers all

Nick

Hi Nick,

Grasmere is a good area to see Marsh Tits; I have seen them regularly there over recent years. Willow Tits are much more localised in Cumbria; with the strongest population occurring near the Inner Solway.

Regards
B

There is still at least two Brambling present with a mixed finch flock near Barney House c1mile to the SW of Wigton. Slightly further along the road at NY241462 (or thereabouts) there is a winter stubble field ( a rarity in itself nowadays) that is attracting 100+ Yellowhammers, 50+ Reed Buntings and 70+ Tree Sparrows.

Attachments

• Brambling-(2).jpg
    Brambling-(2).jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Brambling-(23).jpg
    Brambling-(23).jpg
    93 KB · Views: 42
Male and Female Brambling coming to feeders in my Garden today, been here all day. Pictures taken through the window so not great.
Between dearham and Broughton Moor 4 Woodcock, snipe, Redsquirrel....

Attachments

• Female-BramblingA.jpg
    Female-BramblingA.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Male-Brambling2.jpg
    Male-Brambling2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 44
Hi Nick,
On distribution alone, as the others say, almost certainly your bird was a Marsh Tit.
Now, if you were down by Bassenthwaite or Derwentwater, say up to ten or so years ago, a bird of this 'specie pair', would, almost certainly, be Willow Tit.
However, the Willow Tits range has retreated in North Cumbria, and, as Tristan says, they are mainly confined to areas near the Solway coast. Most of us haven't seen them in the North Lakes recently.
atb
Derek

Hi all,

I'm currently visiting Cumbria (holed up in Grasmere for a few days for my birthday), and I saw a Willow Tit (I think) today on the peanut feeder I set up. I didn't get a great view, maybe 5 seconds in the fading 4pm light, but the black cap seemed pretty dull - not helped by the light of course - which swayed it. Didn't catch any view of the wings or a chance to check the neck size. Black bib looked small (a la Marsh) but not neat...

Cheers all

Nick

Last edited:
Thanks Derek, Tristan (is that you, Binocularface?), and Stephen,

I did get some much better views today of a couple of them. Small, neat bibs; plain, uniform wing colour; smart, dainty (not thick-necked) appearance... With your info too: certainly Marsh Tits, without hearing their calls. I got some less-than-great record shots too, but no means of uploading via my phone.

I live in the Bradford area, where Willow Tits are scarce and Marsh Tits non-existent, so I'm not familar with either other than on trips to Fairburn to see Willows, so it's been an education.

Thanks again all

Nick

Good views of Bittern at Siddick onds today. St on ice along with Water rail...

Attachments

• Bittern-Siddick2.jpg
    Bittern-Siddick2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Bittern-Siddick7.jpg
    Bittern-Siddick7.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Water-Rail.jpg
    Water-Rail.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 59
Is feeding the birds always a good thing?

May sound like a daft question, but after today's experience, I'm not so sure.

I went out to the garden early this morning to find a Redwing scratching about under the bushes, and a couple of Fieldfares not far away, all far too easy to approach, and probably very hungry. I had a bunch of grapes that were going spare, so I hung them in the tree that hosts the other feeders, assuming I was doing the right thing. Within 5 minutes, the dominant Fieldfare had starting feeding on them...so far so good. Unfortunately though, he continued to stay there all day, jealously guarding his prize, and chasing off every other bird that came within 30 feet of the tree; my other garden regulars got nothing all day!

Tomorrow I think I'll put his grapes at the other end of the garden ;)

The culprit:

Edit: Nice pics Craig :t:

Attachments

• Fieldfare (2).jpg
    Fieldfare (2).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 63
Hi Craig and Steve,
Thanks for the very nice pics.

Yellowhammers feeding in garden built up to fourteen birds yesterday.

At times nut feeders covered in Long-tailed tits.
Derek

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back