• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Cumbria (1 Viewer)

Talkin Tarn

Hi! all
Both M & F Smew still there this afternoon, one Brambling at the feeding station also a Nuthatch lots of Coal Tit visiting the feeders.
Ian C

I know this is a bit out of area, but I thought some of you guys up north may be interested...American Wigeon at Caerlaverock today. Arrived this morning, and was showing well at the Whooper pond when we left at dusk.

Attachments

• American Wigeon 4.jpg
    American Wigeon 4.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Lots of Fieldfares in the RSPB reserve in the bushes by the old lighthouse.
Criag,thanks for your comments in Birdguides.Buzzards can be seen on a daily basis around Muncaster,on the Waberthwaite road.they lie in wait for the Herons feeding time in the castle grounds at Muncaster.

Lots of Fieldfares in the RSPB reserve in the bushes by the old lighthouse.
Criag,thanks for your comments in Birdguides.Buzzards can be seen on a daily basis around Muncaster,on the Waberthwaite road.they lie in wait for the Herons feeding time in the castle grounds at Muncaster.

Nice to see buzzards taking the opportunity of an easy meal.

Black Redstart continues to show next to Penrith Post Office. Only got brief views this morning between 10.00 and 11.00 Managed a few record shots only, as it stayed at some distance:

Edit 29/01. Sun was out, so took the camera again, and after an hours wait, he put in a close appearance at around 10.30. Photos 2-4 are from this morning.

Attachments

• DSC04354.JPG
    DSC04354.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 54
  • Black Redstart 1.jpg
    Black Redstart 1.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Black Redstart 3.jpg
    Black Redstart 3.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Black Redstart 5.jpg
    Black Redstart 5.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
A very foggy afternoon along the Solway, some highlights of which were:

Workington at high tide: Purple Sandpipers, Turnstones, 2 Rock Pipits, and a Stoat.

Mawbray: 7 Wigeon and 5 Brent Geese on the sea.

Anthorn: large mixed flock of Barnacle and Pink Foots in field NE of village. Large flock of Barnacles on sands just SW of village (at least 2000, but the flock disappeared into the fog, so we couldn't see it all)

Attachments

• DSC04803a.jpg
    DSC04803a.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Turnstones.jpg
    Turnstones.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Ringed Plover.jpg
    Ringed Plover.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Turnstone3.jpg
    Turnstone3.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Another afternoon working my way along the Solway coast, today from Parton to Bowness. Tide was out so nothing was particularly close. Weather was cold, and varied from overcast with snow, to a beautiful clear blue sky by dusk. Nothing of great note, but included Golden Plover, Brent Geese, Sanderling, Curlew, and some fabulous views of a Barn Owl.

Attachments

• Golden Plover.jpg
    Golden Plover.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Brent Goose.jpg
    Brent Goose.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Linnet.jpg
    Linnet.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Skylark.jpg
    Skylark.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Barn Owl.jpg
    Barn Owl.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 59
Lost Sigtings Book

Hi
I do not know if this is the correct thread to use to find the owner of lost Sightings book.
I am a Reserve Volunteer Hide Guide at R.S.P.B Saltholme on Teesside, during my session in the Saltholme Hide on Thursday 25th February a party from Grange Over Sands visited the reserve who I believe mentioned they were members of Cumbria Birding Group.
After leaving the Hide I noticed a Sightings Book had been left near one of the shutters. If anyone knows anyone who has been to the Reserve on this date I would appreciate if they contacted myself on Mobile Number 07799650013

DenBee

Solway today

Thousands of Pinks and Barnies in the fields out of Anthorn village this am.
Linnets, Tree Sparrows and Reed Buntings on the road from Cardunock to Campfield.
The Little Egret was showing well on Campfield.
Bowness railings gave 1 Turnstone, 1 Dunlin among the Redshank, on the water were 10 GC Grebes and 60 Wigeon 5 Shovellor and a flyby of about 60 Scaup.
Port Carlisle lots of Redshank a single Turnstone and a flyby of 8 Pintail.
Ian C

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back