• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Cumbria (1 Viewer)

Great Grey Shrike

Showing well at Long Marton this afternoon, north of the village, near the 30mph signs.

Attachments

• GGS2.jpg
    GGS2.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 87
An article in our local paper this evening re Red Kites.sightings at Ulverston,Kirby Moor and Broughton,also here on the Port Haverigg site.They are expected to head back to Grizedale forest for the breeding season.They have been seen travelling down the Rusland valley towards low ground near the coast for feeding.

69 Whoopers, 6 mutes, 5 Pinkfoots, plus Greylags (Craigs count, not mine) in fields beside Temple Sowerby by-pass. GG Shrike still showing at Long Marton.

Attachments

• Whoopers.jpg
    Whoopers.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Along the Solway today, from Workington to Campfield Marsh. Highlights were: Black Throated Diver at Workington, Bittern at Siddick Pond, Barn Owl just before Cardurnock (pictured), and extended close views of an Otter at North Plains Farm.

Attachments

• Barnowl2.jpg
    Barnowl2.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Barnowl3.jpg
    Barnowl3.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Barnowl4.jpg
    Barnowl4.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Barnowl5.jpg
    Barnowl5.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 66
hi,welcome to BF,Several prs of Grebes nest and breed here on the Hodbarrow reserve at Haverigg.If you visit my website,at the bottom of the Grebe page,you will see a slide show of a mating pr,here in the lagoon.

Does anyone know how reliable the Waterhead Otters are? My wife has never seen an otter in the wild, so I thought we would come across from Middlesbrough this weekend. Do you need to be their early am or are they seen throughout the day?

Thanks
Martyn

Does anyone know how reliable the Waterhead Otters are? My wife has never seen an otter in the wild, so I thought we would come across from Middlesbrough this weekend. Do you need to be their early am or are they seen throughout the day?

Thanks
Martyn

Hi Martyn.

The otters are very regular indeed, but as with everything in the animal world, nothing is ever guaranteed ;)

As you are travelling so far, I would suggest you make as early an arrival as possible, just to be sure; I have seen them at dawn, only for them to vanish for the rest of the day by 10.00; other times they have arrived at 9.00 and been around all day.

There's some video I shot a couple of weeks ago here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqwDu4kcPBk

Good luck, and do let us know how you get on.

Steve.

Thanks Steve.

We'll try to get there early. Just to double check the area they favour, it's around the pier that the big Lake Ferry uses?

Thanks

Martyn

Thanks Steve.

We'll try to get there early. Just to double check the area they favour, it's around the pier that the big Lake Ferry uses?

Thanks

Martyn

Yes, that's correct. There's parking right in front of the ticket office, and if you walk into the private car park to the left of the ticket office, and look just over the edge, that's usually where they hang out.

Steve.

Yes, that's correct. There's parking right in front of the ticket office, and if you walk into the private car park to the left of the ticket office, and look just over the edge, that's usually where they hang out.

Steve.

Reckon I'll be there from dawn Saturday too. Thanks for the update!

Look out for the tallest dwarf in the world, wielding a Canon 500mm F4, and say hi.

John

no otters today typical....oh long-tailed duck still around.....Hawfinch showed at sizergh however..crappy record shot

Reckon I'll be there from dawn Saturday too. Thanks for the update!

Look out for the tallest dwarf in the world, wielding a Canon 500mm F4, and say hi.

John

Attachments

• Hawfinch-siz1.jpg
    Hawfinch-siz1.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 98
Will be making a couple of visits to Sizergh in March. Is there any way to encourage them to come lower down like does anyone put seed out for them and find that works.

Cheers.
Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back