• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Cumbria (1 Viewer)

seed did work but i think you have to put it down regular for a week or so...
no one seems to be doing it now...there was a floor feeder but its gone..

Will be making a couple of visits to Sizergh in March. Is there any way to encourage them to come lower down like does anyone put seed out for them and find that works.

Cheers.
Adam

Probable Great Grey Shrike

Hi

I don't live in Cumbria but the following sighting may be of interest. I was driving along the A595 yesterday between Foxfield and Broughton in Furness when I saw what was a probable G G Shrike. Initially it flew along the road some distance from the car It was only as i got closer it landed very briefly on the hedge and I realised it was grey shrike. It flew off towards the R. Duddon almost as soon as it had landed. I did stop briefly but viewing was difficult and I couldn't relocate it.

Given the fleeting view from a car it can only go down as a probable sighting but if anybody lives in the area it may be worth looking out for.

grid ref: SD 205 872

David

Heversham nr Milnethorpe - Waxwing x3 in trees beside Blue Bell Hotel pub sign - still present since dawn feeding on berries by pub sign. Long-tailed Duck female still at Waterhead on Windermere.

90 Whooper Swans flew over the Hodbarrow reserve yesterday,and 2 Common Terns have been seen in the bay.Hopefully the beginning of the 2011 Tern colony in the reserve.

Waxwing x3 still at Heversham this morning.

Sizeregh Castle - car park - Hawfinch regularly seen between 7.30-9.00am. Four the largest group but 2-3 and singles more often. Green Heron calling several times. Nuthatch x2 plus usual finches abd tits.

Waxwing x3 still at Heversham this morning.

Sizeregh Castle - car park - Hawfinch regularly seen between 7.30-9.00am. Four the largest group but 2-3 and singles more often. Green Heron calling several times. Nuthatch x2 plus usual finches abd tits.

Green Heron!!! Presumably typo for Green Woodpecker?

Ian

Green Heron!!! Presumably typo for Green Woodpecker?

Ian

Unfortunately you're correct!

A Green Woodpecker just about circled the car park tantalisingly close in the misty condition but never showed itself at all. A little later as we were leaving the mist was clearing and a Grey Heron flew past.

Hi,

I am visiting windermere over the coming weekend and have saturday free for birding. I have not birded cumbria since the early nineties when we used to make the annual pilgremage to tick GE in haweswater valley, followed by black guilles at st bee's.
Are there any local birders available for a days birding, any suggestions for a days birding itinery or would I just be better having a day at Leighton Moss?

Any help would be really useful,

Cheers Andy Latham

Hi,

I am visiting windermere over the coming weekend and have saturday free for birding. I have not birded cumbria since the early nineties when we used to make the annual pilgremage to tick GE in haweswater valley, followed by black guilles at st bee's.
Are there any local birders available for a days birding, any suggestions for a days birding itinery or would I just be better having a day at Leighton Moss?

Cheers Andy Latham

Well there's a Long-tailed Duck and Otters on Windermere and Hawfinch at Sizergh so I don't think you would be obliged to go to Leighton Moss.

Stephen

sorry andy im away this weekend, But med gulls and purple sand at Workington harbour, st bees hooded crow, as Stephen said windermere and seizergh worth a go...Yellow legged gull at whitehaven harbour.. great grey shrike Dalton crags SD558759. think thats about it

Hi,

Cheers Andy Latham

It was mentioned on our local radio station,that 3 Swallows had been seen in our County.
Andy,if you are in the south of the county,Hodbarrow reserve could be worth a visit,perhaps,not the reserve itself,but for waders and eiders etc in Haverigg bay .It an afternoon high tide,after the tide ebbs the shoreline is choc a block with various species.

Derwent Water - Cormorants

Driving past Derwent Water this afternoon I saw some distant flocks of birds and was surprised to see over 100 Cormorants in a few large rafts on the far side - apologies for the rubbish photo but it gives you an idea.

Attachments

• DSC_6569.jpg
    DSC_6569.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 47
An Otter was seen by several people this afternoon in White Rock cove,here on the edge of the reserve.( i was on the opp side of the reserve!!!).

Hi All,

Thanks for reply to the request for info. Can anyone provide grid refs for Long Tailed duck, Hawfinch, med gulls and purple sands workington, christine what time is the high tide on saturday? If you don't have grid ref directions would be appreciated. How many of the sites suggested would it be feasible to do in a day?
I'll be based in windermere itself for the weekend so you locals would know which order or sites to visit realistically during a days birding. looking at the road atlas cumbria appears to be a large county!

Any responce is appreciated.

Andy L.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back