• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Cumbria (1 Viewer)

I don't know if the relevant authorities know (I'd assume so) but I saw two Red Kites that looked like they were maybe setting up shop up near Grange-over-Sands and one had a Red no.12 wing tag so I assume it's from the Grizedale lot.

You've got me thinking now. Do you know what shade of orange they are, if they are vivid, lighter orange like this then it definitely wasn't but could have been a dark shade of orange like this. The light was totally against me when I was able to view it perched through the scope but I'd still say I'm 80% sure it was red. I was going to get a picture for record purposes but as I made my way towards it a dog walker came from the other direction and he beat me to it and scared it off.

If anyone in the area would like to know where I saw them and check them out for themselves (assuming they are still there) I can tell them where to go. Just PM me.

Just to come back to this as I've clearly forgotten! I looked at the link and I'm convinced the bird I saw is the number 12 getting a check up in one of the photos. And yes it was on the coastal area near Flookburgh which further makes me certain.

Anybody know if there are any Sandwich terns at Hodbarrow yet? Visiting your area for a week from next weekend. Any body got any advice about good birding sites?

Anybody know if there are any Sandwich terns at Hodbarrow yet? Visiting your area for a week from next weekend. Any body got any advice about good birding sites?

I am sure there will be, even if they are only feeding in the estuary as Sarnies arrived in South Cumbria in big numbers about three weeks ago now.

Stephen

On the next fine day,I will have a ride around the Hodbarrow reserve,and report back to this thread,I ahve been concentrating on Swallows in our local river,so I have not been around the reserve.
Loved the "Jays video",excellent.

Apparently we have a Dowitcher here on our reserve at Hodbarrow.Visible from the public hide,it is on the island.It was mentioned by Stephen Dunstan .He said that it has been here for a couple of days.

Thanks Stephen.I bet that if I go there tommorrow it will have flown,I now need to go to Google so that I know what I should be seeing!!!.

Yes,just had a look on Google ,seems to be one of the Godwit family .This will test my ID skills if this bird is still present.So is this species a relative rarity?.

Ambleside and surrounds

Family camping at Low Wray near Ambleside and good birding at various spots around the lake itself and surrounding area:

Hooded Merganser
Kingfisher
Day hunting Tawny Owl
Wood Warbler
Goosander on the river
Goldcrests

and the usual woodland birds. Also lots of bats which I think were Pippistrelle around Oak trees and Daubentons over the water

:eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!:MEGA ALERT!!!!!!!!!!

R U SURE

Whoops - Sorry all - it was of course Red Breasted Merganser... sorry - must engage brain before typing :eek!: I was still surprised to see RBM but agree Hooded would have been something altogether more interesting...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back