• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds seen in Australia (1 Viewer)

mjohnson0728

Pleas help confirm/identify these birds.

1. Striated Heron - please confirm - seen in Esplanade, Cairns
2. Brown Honeyeater - please confirm - seen in Esplanade, Cairns
3. ??? - please identify - seen in Streets beach, Brisbane
4. Australasian Figbird - female - please confirm - seen in Kuranda rainforest nature park.
5. ??? Please identify - seen in Kuranda rainforest nature park.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Michael

Attachments

• Striated Heron ?.jpg
    Striated Heron ?.jpg
    566.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Brown Honeyeater ?.jpg
    Brown Honeyeater ?.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • P1074285.jpg
    P1074285.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
  • P1074690.jpg
    P1074690.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • P1074786.jpg
    P1074786.jpg
    657.1 KB · Views: 47
Your IDs all seem fine to me.

Photo 5 is a White-throated Needletail.

I can't give a strong ID to your bird 3. I wonder if it might be a very young Blue-faced Honeyeater? Apart from the overall colour, and the fact that nothing else seems to fit, one reason is the black gular stripe, which seems to be spreading down the breast and also there seems to be a hint of a developing white rear head patch. The eye colour should be yellow, but I think juvenile birds of many species often have a darker eye than the adult.

I found one photo online which might back up my suggestion.

https://dl.id.au/1/g.php?c=1&i=609

Anyway, I'm sure Sicklebill or someone else will come along soon to give a definite ID.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back