• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in Straits of Gibraltar & La Janda (2 Viewers)

Roller has declined about 40% in Spain recent years and is now listed as "vulnerable" in the Red Book of birds of Spain. There are 2,000 - 6,000 pairs in Spain with habitat loss caused agricultural change being the major factor. Concern about the species was such that it was designated as SEO's bird of the Year in 2012.

Thanks for that John, it explains a lot. Just arrived back in England an hour ago, all is not lost. I saw 2 different pairs this morning near to an area where I have seen them over the years.

Our area of Spain has remained unchanged and has plenty of good habitat so hopefully they can keep a foot hold here

Karl

Hey I´m back.After a long forced abscence due to health problems I will be out and about again soon and will give as much info as possible on the southbound migration and La Janda.The migration has already started and at Cazalla white storks,black kites short toed and booted eagles,together with marsh and Montague´s harriers are starting to make the crossing although in small numbers.There has been a report of one honey buzzard on the southward journey possibly a non breeder.Cheers .....Eddy

Yesterday I went to La Janda.I started at the Facinas end of the Cañada and although dry hard mud the first 2 km should not be attempted in a saloon car.However from the Benalup end it is ok except for the last 2km.
The east wind was force 5/6 and most of the smaller birds were sheltering in the grass and some were picking up seeds on the track.Good showings of larks and good flocks of linnets.A notable abscence was that of corn buntings none seen.In total 34 speices seen including 4 collared praticol on the edges of the rice paddies.
On the way back home I called in at the new Migres site and found that it is fully operational and was given a personal guided tour by Carlos.Very impresive with offices, accomodation, theater,dining room in the main complex and then at Punta Camorra a very professional display of the migration process with another smaller theatre.Then of course a new viewing area overlooking the Straits......Eddy

There are a number of planned events going on at the moment prior to the Official opening but the centre is 24/7 with many volunteers in situ at the moment.There maybe some further information on the Migres website....Eddy

There has been a bush fire at Cazalla which has destroyed the vegetation but the instalations I believe have only suffered some scorching...Eddy

Fire at Cazalla.

There has been a bush fire at Cazalla which has destroyed the vegetation but the instalations I believe have only suffered some scorching...Eddy

When I was over there at the beginning of May someone told me that since they built the new road entrance and exit to Cazalla it has been getting used by passing traffic as a rest stop/picnic area/toilet stop rather than its intended use.

Any possibility that the fire started because of this, or did it start elsewhere and spread?

Attachments

• 060-Cazalla-Watchpoint,-New-Access-800web.jpg
    060-Cazalla-Watchpoint,-New-Access-800web.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 64
Hello Alan as far as I am aware,as I have not been to the site,the fire started on the south side of the N340 and crossed the road closing it off to traffic.....Eddy

A busy couple of days around Tarifa. Reasonable numbers of HBs and Booted Eagles around the watchpoints, with smaller numbers of Short-toed - plus White-rumped Swift, Ruppell's Vulture and Long-legged Buzzard at Algarrobo, and a Black-shouldered Kite over Cazalla. Large flocks of a White Storks crossing, with a handful of Black Storks logged. Early morning at Los Lances produced Little Stint, and Cory's moving offshore - waders at Barbate estuary included Spotted Redshank, Greeenshank, Whimbrel and Grey Plover, also there 2 Gull-billed Tern. La Janda has some good flooded rice fields at present - Spoonbill, Wood Sandpiper and Ruff in addition to the usual waders - sev juvenile Monty's around, and good numbers of Glossy Ibis and White Storks. 5 Turtle Doves there sadly now noteworthy. Home tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back