• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Cockatoo, Perth WA, Spetember 2015 (1 Viewer)

I saw a small group of white-tailed black cockatoos in Perth.
Bibra Lake area on 20th September 2015.
Cannot decide if they are Carnaby's or Baudin's. Both species seem to have black bills and pink around the eye in males from what I have read.
Any comments welcome.

Attachments

• black cockatoo 1.jpg
    black cockatoo 1.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 103
I'd say Carnaby's Black Cocatoo since the upper mandible is pretty wide at its base and not curved enough for Baudin's IMO...They are easier to id on calls.

Thank you for your thoughts, Val35.
Unfortunately I did not make a note of any calls, and cannot remember anything now. So many new birds to identify!

Just going on Ebird records, there are quite a lot of records of Carnaby's from that area but no records at all of Baudin's. In terms of likelihood Carnaby's is much more probable.

Agree with above on abundance, and think what can be seen of the bill points to Carnaby's too. It's really difficult to get a good view at the right angle with the bill wide open for long enough. Slightly more head-on white-billed birds with their mouths fully open are probably easiest!

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in replying. But thank you for the comments. Looks like probable Carnaby's.
If I ever get back to Australia, I will pay more attention to calls!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back