• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black eared wheatear from Corsica (2 Viewers)

Val35

I've been going through old pics from last spring and found this black-eared wheatear from Cap Corse on 02/04...I couldn't really observe the bird properly back then because it was raining quite a lot but managed those two (very bad) pics.
I find it quite pale and wonder if it can be eastern BEW...this species has been recorded in Corsica at least once and on this rainy day, the bushes were full of passerines, including at least two eastern subalpine warblers, indicating some eastern flux.

I'd like to have an opinion on it ;)

Attachments

• DSCN3046.JPG
    DSCN3046.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 58
  • DSCN3047.JPG
    DSCN3047.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 56
The black does seem to extend above the bill but I'm not sure I'd rely on the colouring too much...

How will you present your case for the defence?

The black does seem to extend above the bill but I'm not sure I'd rely on the colouring too much...

How will you present your case for the defence?
Actually I think that black extends above the bill and eye...Other features that make me think me think of EBE Wheatear are : overall pale color, greyish tinge on the cap...

Probably unidentifiable. Mask of both taxa vary in extent with age and this bird looks impossible to age from these photos. Not to mention the actual extent of the mask being very hard to understand from these 2 photos. Are you sure these are the same birds?

Probably unidentifiable. Mask of both taxa vary in extent with age and this bird looks impossible to age from these photos. Not to mention the actual extent of the mask being very hard to understand from these 2 photos. Are you sure these are the same birds?
Seems like adult male in spring to me, no ?
Same bird yes, 100% sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back