• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Vulture? (location inside a plane's cockpit, otherwise unknown; mildly gruesome) (1 Viewer)

Seems a reasonable guess. Not sure I can rule out a turkey vulture - or even a large chicken- with an unusual leg color, but that seems less likely. (Especially the chicken - they don't fly very high.)

The pilot seems to be wearing an industrial-strength air filter mask, which I don't think is normal. If the clip is recent, it could be someplace affected by recent wildfires (e.g. eastern Canada -- the land looks very flat...). (Smoke can't be good for the plane either, but that's another story.)

Seems a reasonable guess. Not sure I can rule out a turkey vulture - or even a large chicken- with an unusual leg color, but that seems less likely. (Especially the chicken - they don't fly very high.)

The pilot seems to be wearing an industrial-strength air filter mask, which I don't think is normal. If the clip is recent, it could be someplace affected by recent wildfires (e.g. eastern Canada -- the land looks very flat...). (Smoke can't be good for the plane either, but that's another story.)
chicken :ROFLMAO:, that made me chuckle, i had visions of angered rustic types throwing their largest chickens at low flying planes

I see mainstream media has picked up on this and has provided more actual information - that the incident took place in Ecuador, Los Ríos province - and fevered speculation - that the bird is an Andean Condor, which seems very unlikely.

yeah, ebird shows no condor sightings at all in that province (it's mostly very flat floodplains, as the name sort of implies). But Black Vulture is very numerous, at least in parts of the province. (Also, I like to think I would have noticed if the bird was condor-sized).

Also, a bird will not fly headfirst into a plane if it can help it, while the more arrogant of our species may not change course, thinking the bird will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back