• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Woodpeckers sites near Zurich ? (1 Viewer)

nowhereblue

Hi there

I've sent my swiss girlfriend off on a mission to find Black Woodpeckers in / near Zurich. I know they are supposed to be in the area but we've tried to see them on a couple of occasions (Oetliberg and the woods near Richterswil) but not had any luck yet.

If any of you can recommend any particular woods as being good for Black Woodpeckers that would be great - she lives on the southern shore of lake zurich by richterswil so anything around that are in particular would be great.

Also as she's relatively new to birdwatching any tips on finding black woodpeckers would be appreciated too !

Many thanks

Well, we have plenty of them around here...;)
Most important is to get to know the call. They are not very active now but they will call more often in some weeks. Listen for the calls and then walk in that direction.... By far the best time is from February to April. The birds are very active and there are no leaves.

I checked the ornitho database and found several sightings in her area. Obviously Horgen is a good place (forest behind Bergweiher, Aabachtal). The best forest near Zürich is the Hönggerberg (and not only for Black Woodpecker but also for Middle Spotted).

Hope this helps,

André

Hi andre

That's great thanks again for the tips (and for the lammergeier tips a few weeks ago!) - she's going to check it out this weekend and we'll report back. Sounds like the ornitho website is a good one to check out for info on bird in the area and Zurich generally so I'll check it out soon !

All the best :)

If she fails there is still the option that I can show you my local Black Woodpeckers. In the (fairly big) forest behind my house we have around 5 pairs.....

André

(PS and it's just 30 minutes from Zürich....)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back