• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbirds fall from Arkansas Sky (1 Viewer)

Lot of flooding down there earlier this year.As water has retreated and land has dried
somewhat,plausable scenarios endless.Awfully close to special area thought to harbor
a very special bird.
@fugl...thanks for reminding me how to correctly spell [grackle].

A few more details here, including an interesting video:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ypse-thousands-die-2nd-New-Years-Eve-row.html

Red-wings obviously predominate, but the video also appears to show a few other species among the fatalities: Common Grackle, Rusty/Brewer's Blackbird, ?European Starling.

I wonder if anyone is actually tallying up the victims by species. It would be especially interesting to know how many Rusty Blackbirds were present. Firework-related die-off events certainly aren't to blame for the precipitous decline of that species, but it does provide an opportunity for a snapshot of a winter Icterid flock. I think the general consensus (pending new info of course) is that whatever the cause, the Rusty Blackbird's decline is probably taking place on their wintering grounds.

Here's the latest:
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/01/01/us/arkansas-bird-deaths/index.html

Looks like this year's incident may have been caused by vandals attempting to recreate late year's slaughter. Fortunately, only about 400 birds died this time, as opposed to 5000 or so last New Year's.

who the hell would be ignorant, cruel and sad enough to do that, if it's true?

and read the comments, particularly the earlier ones, gives some peoples uneducated views of life: 'We use blackbirds for target practice in Tennessee.':C

Thought I would mention that the subject of the event of:

"Blackbirds fall from the Arkansas Sky"

is part of the programme 'Natures Weirdest Events' tonight (mentioned on the TV area of this Forum) - Chris Packham adds his thoughts about the issue on this programme.

'Nature Weirdest Events' has an article on Page 82 of the Radio times

It is on 20.00pm-21.00pm BBC2 3/1/2012

Hopefully there is a way that this programme can be seen outside the UK.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Here's the latest:

Looks like this year's incident may have been caused by vandals attempting to recreate late year's slaughter. Fortunately, only about 400 birds died this time, as opposed to 5000 or so last New Year's.

Terrible. I hope they find whoever is responsible and charge them with something, preferably a wildlife crime. Blackbirds in winter don't have the full protection of the Migratory Bird Act, but I'm pretty sure any "pest control program" has to be approved by someone. Shooting fireworks into the roost in town doesn't count.

and read the comments, particularly the earlier ones, gives some peoples uneducated views of life: 'We use blackbirds for target practice in Tennessee.':C

Sadly, some people are very ignorant when it comes to the issues of birds or any wildlife. :C

They have feelings that would equate to my freezer - they have no heart or soul for any creatures at all. :-C

Sad, but true - though having kids in the 'Frosty' families of this world may tell a lot about them if they are that way inclined - no heart at all. What will their kids be like in the future....that is what I want to know? :C

Not a good omen at all. :-C

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:

Nothing unusual, there. Many people consider wildlife to be a decoration or toy, to be enjoyed or exterminated as one chooses. When I was a kid I knew a number of other kids who shot birds,squirrels and gophers for daily fun, and that was considered normal behavior.

Still is in some places.
I can hear shots daily from my house in the woods.
Even our kids know not to go in rural areas during hunting season without orange on.

Thought I would mention that the subject of the event of:

"Blackbirds fall from the Arkansas Sky"

is part of the programme 'Natures Weirdest Events' tonight (mentioned on the TV area of this Forum) - Chris Packham adds his thoughts about the issue on this programme.

'Nature Weirdest Events' has an article on Page 82 of the Radio times

It is on 20.00pm-21.00pm BBC2 3/1/2012

Hopefully there is a way that this programme can be seen outside the UK.

Regards
Kathy
x

Sadly we will have to wait until tomorrow for any information about the events stated in this thread - so hold on to your hat everyone.

I really hope that it shows the key to why this event has occurred in the first place.

So on the Wednesday 4th Jan 2012, we will hear other points of view in addition to this thread.

Regards
Kathy
x

Still is in some places.
I can hear shots daily from my house in the woods.
Even our kids know not to go in rural areas during hunting season without orange on.

Hi lashinala

Sorry, but I cannot comprehend or understand any shooting at all - no matter what scale it is on :C

It should be stopped for the sakes of animals and humans alike :t:

Regards
Kathy

After watching the 'Nature Weirdest Events' programme tonight

It was stated that....Fireworks are the source of the problem, and cause the local Blackbirds to go into a state of panic. They hit solid objects in their flight of panic so they hit ie buildings, wires etc...

Some of the bodies showed broken wings, and it looked more of an external force to kill the birds ie hit a hard surface.

Loved the fact that the Blackbirds fly in unison like the Starlings we have in the UK. All the ariel sky patterns are something else. :-O

Programme on BBC I-player Part 2 of 2 is placed on the TV programme area of this forum

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
I have seen roosting Kingfishers in the dark of night that will not fly unless they have to as last resort. There must be countless species that succumb from disturbance from loud fireworks but because they are not in great numbers at roost, we probably never know how many die from flying blind into unmoveable objects.

Robin

It was stated that....Fireworks are the source of the problem, and cause the local Blackbirds to go into a state of panic. They hit solid objects in their flight of panic so they hit ie buildings, wires etc...

Doesn't really sound right. If so, your average weekly thunderstorm should have the same effect. Fireworks are pop-guns compared to the cannons of a thunderstorm, and the fireworks on the mainland don't hold a candle to what we have in Hawai'i.

Last edited:
Doesn't really sound right. If so, your average weekly thunderstorm should have the same effect. Fireworks are pop-guns compared to the cannons of a thunderstorm, and the fireworks on the mainland don't hold a candle to what we have in Hawai'i.

This objection was raised & disposed of earlier in the thread (see posts #19-23).

Last edited:
This objection was raised & debated earlier in the thread (see posts #19-23).

Just to add a little to that, if I may: the duration of a relatively distant lightning discharge would illuminate a much greater area for a much longer duration than would a nearby firework, allowing a much more thorough 'pre-flight check'.

Add that to the shock factor (no environmental changes in the lead up) of a firework, it's not that difficult to visualise how different the two events would be.

Add that to the shock factor (no environmental changes in the lead up) of a firework, it's not that difficult to visualise how different the two events would be.

That's not how it works. There has been a build-up in fireworks noise by the time the ground-shakers are employed. It isn't an isolated event. In some areas that build-up will be hours long, starting before dark. Typically the largest shells are used over open areas or water. My lot has been struck more than once by lightning, and it is an event an order of magnitude greater than any fireworks I've ever experienced.

That's not how it works. There has been a build-up in fireworks noise by the time the ground-shakers are employed. It isn't an isolated event. In some areas that build-up will be hours long, starting before dark. Typically the largest shells are used over open areas or water. My lot has been struck more than once by lightning, and it is an event an order of magnitude greater than any fireworks I've ever experienced.

Your description doesn't tie in with this report:
Fireworks last year caused otherwise healthy birds to become disoriented and "fly all over the place" into stationary objects, such as trees and buildings, Arkansas Game and Fish Commission spokeswoman Ginny Porter said.

Those birds' deaths were likely "not intentional," Porter added.

But questions remain about the intention of the person or persons who set off fireworks that killed about 200 blackbirds this weekend.

In light of the fatalities one year earlier, a state wildlife officer and Beebe police officers were patrolling the area mindful of the dangers that fireworks posed to the blackbirds, the wildlife spokesman noted.

Even so, 50 birds died when fireworks went off around 7 p.m. Saturday, said Porter, who added, "We don't know where or who shot them (fireworks)."

The majority of the blackbird deaths occurred five hours later at midnight, in a bunch of trees, or roost, in a residential area.

"Someone went into the roost and set off fireworks," the spokeswoman said. " We didn't catch them, we don't know who."

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back