• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blessed Mourning Dove (1 Viewer)

MourningLove

United States
Good afternoon,

I am new to identifying birds. I desire to make my home in Virginia a haven for wild native birds. I am thankful a pair of mourning doves nesting under our balcony.

Thank you,
I do have a question of how I can protect the mourning doves under my balcony. We are going to have it stained and I am concerned the staining will poison, harm, or scare the doves away. How can I protect them?

Would it be possible to delay the work until after the doves have left the nest? Any work will disturb them and is likely to cause the nest to be abandoned.

Hi MourningLove and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Re your Mourning Dove problem; really the best way would be to wait until after they have finished nesting for the summer. Not sure about your state laws, but most of your state statues, I think, say you must not in any way disturb breeding birds at or near the nest.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. In the US the Migratory Bird Act makes the disturbing or movement of a bird’s nest (once eggs are laid) illegal. Many doves will lay multiple clutches throughout the spring/summer. You could move the nest once these eggs have hatched and fledged.

Good afternoon,

I am new to identifying birds. I desire to make my home in Virginia a haven for wild native birds. I am thankful a pair of mourning doves nesting under our balcony.
Hello from Alabama! I too have a pair of doves at my home. They have taken up residence in a small hanging fern beside my door on my porch. They like to look in my window all day long. Every time I look out I find them staring back at me.
Do yours stare back at you?
I have been amazed to discover how fearless these majestic creatures are! Or, perhaps they are like dogs and can sense love radiating off of a human. They perhaps know that they are home and that they are safe with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back