• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Chaffinch (1 Viewer)

As promised long time ago, those are some additional photos of Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch (Fringilla polatzeki).

Attachments

• fringilla_polatzeki_esp5.jpg
    fringilla_polatzeki_esp5.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 98
  • fringilla_polatzeki_esp4.jpg
    fringilla_polatzeki_esp4.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 95
  • fringilla_polatzeki_esp3.jpg
    fringilla_polatzeki_esp3.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 90
  • fringilla_polatzeki_esp2.jpg
    fringilla_polatzeki_esp2.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 203
Thanks, Valéry. The blacker band over the bill base and whiter wing bars show well in the last photo.

with pleasure. This is the breeding adult male. He was feeding in a nest situated soe 40m high in the canopy of Pinus canariensis. The female was active too, but very secretive, I hardly saw her.

3 other photos are in another location, better known spot for the species, where I hear several male. They show an apparently single female in this second location.

Cheers

Fringilla polatzeki

Sangster, Rodríguez-Godoy, Roselaar, Robb & Luksenburg (in press). Integrative taxonomy reveals Europe's rarest songbird species, the Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch Fringilla polatzeki. J Avian Biol. [abstract]
  • Fringilla [teydea] teydea - Tenerife Blue Chaffinch
  • Fringilla [teydea] polatzeki - Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch
PS. "Europe's rarest songbird species"? The Canary Is are geographically part of Africa, not Europe. OK, I realise they're just talking (conservation) politics. ;)

IOC Updates Diary July 3

Accept Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch split

Lifjeld, Anmarkrud, Calabuig, Cooper, Johannessen, Johnsen, Kearns, Lachlan, Laskemoen, Marthinsen, Stensrud, Garcia-del-Rey. 2016. Species-level divergences in multiple functional traits between the two endemic subspecies of Blue Chaffinches Fringilla teydea in Canary Islands. BMC Zoology 1:4.
[whole paper]

(In a brand new journal ;))

Had an unsuccessful crack at polatzeki back sometime in the late nineties in a Canary Pine forest overlooking a distant Tenerife. Stunning views!!
Did get a good look at the distinct Gran Canaria Robin there but that's one for another thread ;)

I've just noticed Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch scored 11 on Tobias et al criteria in the BLI/Checklist, so consistent with speculation above that it would score well - vocal characters contributed strongly, 4 points if I recall.

cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back