• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue naped parrot - Borneo (1 Viewer)

Trystan

I saw this species on the island of Pulau Tiga off the north coast of Borneo last month. I assumed it was introduced as per the population around Kota Kinabalu but found this on wikipedia:

"The species is widespread throughout the Philippines, including the Talaud Islands and islands off north and east Borneo (with introduced population in Borneo itself, e.g. Kota Kinabalu). It is found in secondary forest, at forest edges and in plantations at elevations of up to 1000 m. Flock size is usually under a dozen. The blue-naped parrot feeds on mangoes, berries, seeds, nuts and grains. It nests in tree holes."

As such I am curious as to whether this species could actually be native on Pulau Tiga?

Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Thanks in advance

Tiga would almost certainly be introduced birds, probably from the Kota Kinabalu population. Birds on Mantanani however are probably wild (contra HBW), but only a couple are left there.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back