• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue tit chicks (1 Viewer)

Aidwright

United Kingdom
Hi, I had a brood of 10 day old blue tit chicks and today the nest box is completely empty, how could the 7 chick have disappeared out of the nest? Thanks

Hi Aidwright and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

If you're sure about the dates, it may be a little early for them to have fledged, but not impossible. Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is that they have been predated.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I’m sorry to hear of your nestlings, but can’t help with your question.

Hi Aidwright and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

If you're sure about the dates, it may be a little early for them to have fledged, but not impossible. Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is that they have been predated.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thanks for the warm welcome,
The parents where in and out yesterday but this afternoon I noticed no activity so I took a look and there was no chicks and no signs of them being killed, I live in the middle of a large built up estate. The hole in the box is 30mm so what could have gotten in to take them. I’ve never seen a stoat and I don’t think a squirrel could get in, the only thing I have seen is a great tit that took interest in the box.
The parents have returned about 2 hours later and the female has gone in the box and stayed in there.
I’m baffled, any ideas what it could be.? Thanks

Great Spotted Woodpeckers are known predators of songbirds that use nest boxes. GSW have been known to hammer through a wooden box to reach inside. 30mm would be a tight squeeze for one though........but you would have noticed if the entrance had been widened. 10 days is not long enough for them to reach fledgling state.
Interesting about the female returning, guess it could be a type of mourning behaviour but never heard of that personally.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back