• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

blue tits breeding season (1 Viewer)

gray123

United Kingdom
We have had no serious interest in our bird boxes total number 5 for a while , because it has been mild have all the blue tits nested early this season and we have missed out again , i am in Lincolnshire , have any of you got any nesting blue tits at the moment , its on the 19th march 2024 , but the blue tits seem to have disappeared from any nesting activity

Not nesting, but seen one or two feeding off our hanging feeder.
Had a couple nesting in an old birdbox in our garden, but threw it away this year as was rotting and letting in rain. So hoping to get a couple nesting in my new Camera box now.

Hi Gray and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. No sign of nesting from our Blue Tits up here as yet, but I think Long-tailed Tits are.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum.

I think it’s too early for blue tits to be nesting. There has been a lot of flying in and out of one of our boxes, and the box with a camera in shows there are two roosting in there at night.

We have had no serious interest in our bird boxes total number 5 for a while , because it has been mild have all the blue tits nested early this season and we have missed out again , i am in Lincolnshire , have any of you got any nesting blue tits at the moment , its on the 19th march 2024 , but the blue tits seem to have disappeared from any nesting activity
I have had them visiting my camera nest box but no further activity.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Not heard any of the usual pecking around the hole yet in my nest box. Still amuses me how the Blue Tits have to make the hole just right.

Not heard any of the usual pecking around the hole yet in my nest box. Still amuses me how the Blue Tits have to make the hole just right.
the blue tit that was roosting in my daughters nest box , started to bring in nesting material today until it started raining at 10am she only lives 4 houses away . sold some of my old bird box cameras to a young couple and over a week ago they said they had blue tits building in their nest box , we still have had no evidence of any of our bird boxes that are all fitted with cameras . BUT on the flip side we do have a nesting pair of blackbirds who started on the 11th they nest here year on year . I REALLY DO THINK they started early as it was so mild

Last year, our bluetits were beginning to nest on March 15th. Sadly no sign of them this year.
still plenty of time . we actually had a pair checking out one of our boxes for half a hour on Friday ,,,,,,, sadly they did not stay ,,,, really windy on sat and not much better today ......... so living in hope . our black bird is very busy so the eggs must of hatched

We have two boxes (a year and two years old) currently occupied by blue tits. They have been in-and-out for about a month. Robins from another box have fledged. There was a stoat sniffing around the garden the other day, with a blackbird following it from high in a hedge and going ape, so there must be a nest somewhere to protect. And we have wrens nesting among the box topiary. Everything seems early this year... plants especially.

Thankyou for your message , really pleased you have so many success stories thats really nice to hear , we also had a robin early on collecting nesting material not sure where it was nesting , our female blackbird has been really busy today so i am sure the eggs must of hatched , still no other nesting birds yet but have been blessed with hedgehogs that visit nightly as we feed them and the frog has returned to our small wildlife pond , may you have many more success in the future , are you in a rural location as we are in a town

Mine layer first egg 8th April now just layer 12th. Normally around 6/7. What is the most reared???
A clutch is usually 8 to 12 but up to 16bhas been recorded. I would imagine it could be a massive effort if the nest box is any distance from a decent source of caterpillars. People have different opinions on spring/ summer feeding, but I believe it is a great help to the adult birds being able to feed up quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back