• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Tit & Great Tit sharing a nest box (1 Viewer)

John.D.C

United Kingdom
I have a nest box where a blue tit is preparing a nest during the day, but a great tit is roosting overnight in the same box!
Has anyone ever seen this behaviour before?

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

That is interesting behaviour which I’ve not seen.

Let us know if the Great Tit nicks the nest very interesting as I would assume that usually the Blue Tit would be roosting in the nest box if it was nest building.

I have a nest box where a blue tit is preparing a nest during the day, but a great tit is roosting overnight in the same box!
Similar experience, but the Great Tit had been eyeing the nest box up first. However, after the Blue Tits had already claimed it, there was an incident recently where I heard an almighty argument between the Great Tit and Blue Tit that was already successfully nesting there. !!
I thought it was a Crow making all that noise, unbelievable! In the end the Blue Tits won though and have definitely produced Eggs, They are hatched now as parents are relentlessly flying in and out all day, and I've witnessed one of them flying out with a faecal dropping obviously from one of the chicks.
Delightful to watch, I'm addicted and obsessed with them. I'm purchasing a Sonic Cat Repellent device tmrw as I've a nuisance Cat that I need to deter in view of the potential fledglings really soon.

Similar experience, but the Great Tit had been eyeing the nest box up first. However, after the Blue Tits had already claimed it, there was an incident recently where I heard an almighty argument between the Great Tit and Blue Tit that was already successfully nesting there. !!
I thought it was a Crow making all that noise, unbelievable! In the end the Blue Tits won though and have definitely produced Eggs, They are hatched now as parents are relentlessly flying in and out all day, and I've witnessed one of them flying out with a faecal dropping obviously from one of the chicks.
Delightful to watch, I'm addicted and obsessed with them. I'm purchasing a Sonic Cat Repellent device tmrw as I've a nuisance Cat that I need to deter in view of the potential fledglings really soon.
Unfortunately in my case the Blue Tits didn't return to complete the nest. The Great Tits built their nest in one of my other boxes. During the colder months, the two Great Tits overnighted separately, one in the Blue Tits box and the other in another box that they eventually nested in. Layed 9 eggs, but only 5 hatched. The 5 are now ready for fledging the nest. Maybe tomorrow or the day after. 🙂

This is happening with me. A great tit started roosting in September, it’s now April and is still roosting every night even though a nest is being formed. He just snuggles down in the material. Pretty sure it’s a great tit taking in nesting material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back