• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue tit nestbox - poss abandoned - what to do? (3 Viewers)

CMT

United Kingdom
Hi, we've been watching a beautiful pair of blue tits who have nested in our nestbox in the garden. Sadly, we think one has been killed as we found some feathers that looked like one of them and they haven't been spotted since :-( We are worried that there may be eggs in the nestbox and what should we do next? We know in the UK it is illegal to disturb a nesting site currently, but if there are eggs, do we need to contact a rescue centre to incubate and hatch? Any advice appreciated, with thanks.

Welcome to Birdforum!

Blue tits usually lay eggs throughout April and into early May, so it is probable that there are no eggs in the nest box yet.

It is only illegal to disturb the nests of rarer "schedule one" birds. That said if there are eggs then there is little a rescue centre can do as they will get too cold very quickly.

I wouldn't assume the worst just yet.
When birds build their nests, there will be much coming and going with material.
Then all will go quiet as a bird can only lay about one egg a day. The hen bird will slip in, lay her egg and depart.
Even garden birds are secretive.
Then the eggs will be incubated, again very little activity.
Only when the eggs have hatched will there be regular activity again
Best to leave alone until the end of the nesting season.

Good news - the birds have returned and nestbox active today! I am not sure if they are actually the same pair of blue tits, or they could be great tits. I will observe and report back :)

Hi CMT and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff here.

That's great news to hear.... you'll be on a steep learning curve I think, finding out what they do and their routine. It will be so interesting for you to observe them.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back