• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue tit nesting? (1 Viewer)

RowsonS

United Kingdom
Hi there
I’m very new to this so this behaviour is probably very common but over the last few weeks ive read up on alot of stuff to try make it easier to monitor. This was my first year putting a nest box up and luckily in about March i noticed her coming in a out of the box with feathers etc(i have no camera in this box) over the coming weeks i kept an eye out and saw the pair every now and again. Few weeks past then i noticed one of them would sing close to the box every morning just before sing rise then fly off. I hadn’t seen them as a pair until about a week ago so thought all was well. Then Thursday i noticed a massive increase in activity with the pair going in and out with food. This continued Friday right up till about 8 at night. Then Saturday came and activity dropped, i only saw one of them in the morning, when i came back at lunch i did not see either for good few hours, noticed one came close but not into the nest. 6/7 hours had passed and not activity to the nest, my box is up high level so under the guidance of the BTO i went up to the box and put couple of gentle taps on it to see if i could hear anything but nothing. After an hour one came back and this time literally pop into the nest for a second and was gone again. Anyone experienced this? Have they been unlucky and the whole brood died? Or am i getting the whole sequencing wrong? I’m hoping im wrong as they are such beautiful birds and its great to try help them be successful

Hi Rowson and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Sorry, I can't help with the problem you have, but I see you've posted in the Garden Birds forum, where people with more experience in observing nest boxes may be able to help you. Please let us know how you get on.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you . (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi there
I’m very new to this so this behaviour is probably very common but over the last few weeks ive read up on alot of stuff to try make it easier to monitor. This was my first year putting a nest box up and luckily in about March i noticed her coming in a out of the box with feathers etc(i have no camera in this box) over the coming weeks i kept an eye out and saw the pair every now and again. Few weeks past then i noticed one of them would sing close to the box every morning just before sing rise then fly off. I hadn’t seen them as a pair until about a week ago so thought all was well. Then Thursday i noticed a massive increase in activity with the pair going in and out with food. This continued Friday right up till about 8 at night. Then Saturday came and activity dropped, i only saw one of them in the morning, when i came back at lunch i did not see either for good few hours, noticed one came close but not into the nest. 6/7 hours had passed and not activity to the nest, my box is up high level so under the guidance of the BTO i went up to the box and put couple of gentle taps on it to see if i could hear anything but nothing. After an hour one came back and this time literally pop into the nest for a second and was gone again. Anyone experienced this? Have they been unlucky and the whole brood died? Or am i getting the whole sequencing wrong? I’m hoping im wrong as they are such beautiful birds and its great to try help them be successful
Hi,
I have had a similar experience (see my post) after seeing no activity for over 24 hours I had a look in my box and sadly all the chicks are dead, I'm so gutted, I hope the same hasn't happened to yours 😢

Last edited:
Hi,
I have had a similar experience (see my post) after seeing no activity for over 24 hours I had a look in my box and sadly a the chicks are dead, I'm so gutted, I hope the same hasn't happened to yours 😢
Hi
Yea its very sad isn’t it, think i may have saw the couple few days after the activity stopped as i dont get an abundance of blue tits in my area. Been 3 weeks now since the stop of the activity and hardly any sightings apart from the last few mornings about 4:30-5 hearing a blue tit singing close to the nest. May finally take a look in the nest this weekend after such a long time has passed and no activity near it. Fingers crossed for next year for them

Yes very upsetting, I was so excited as it was the first box I had built and they moved straight in, hopeful for more success in the future and wish you the same

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back