• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluebirds! (1 Viewer)

Lady19thC

The bluebirds have arrived in my yard and now we have two pair fighting over the two boxes, trying to decide who wins and which one they will take. We also have some tree swallows, waiting their turn. Lots of flying, swooping and sitting on the boxes, going on! Here is a picture, though not very clear since these boxes are quite a bit away from the house:

Attachments

• P4081345PairofBB.jpg
    P4081345PairofBB.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 157
Try adding just a few pine needles in the bottom of the next box, this apparently reducing the blowfly risk considerably.

You also might want to put up another box nearby for the Tree Swallows.

Good Luck with them.

Thank you on the tips for the pine needles. We do have another box up for the tree swallows. Both pairs just can't quite decide which box they want. The female bluebird wants box number 1, but her mate keeps showing her box number 2! In the meantime, the tree swallows, who wanted box number 1 are dive bombing the female bluebird, because they found it first (a few days ago) but she remains pretty firm! She is just sitting on top of it, giving them the evil eye! I also think the bluebird pair spent the night in that box. Late yesterday evening, just before dark, I saw them both go in, and never noticed them come back out!

Happy to say that the pair of bluebirds have begun making a nest in box number 2, while the tree swallows watch on and are eying box number 1! Let's hope for success and no house sparrows to ruin all the fun and joy.

Oh, poo! I didn't see one when I was in New Hampshire last week. I've seen them before, though, and they always give me a thrill. What beautiful birds to have in your yard. I'm envious.

I am so frustrated, I could cry. Today, while watching a movie, I also kept my eye on activity at the birdboxes. I noticed something not-so-blue entering the second box, then sit on top, then fly to box numer 1, sit on that, go inside it, etc. A male house sparrow. He has frightened off the bluebirds and three male tree swallows dive bombing him all day long cannot get rid of this pest. He is constantly in the boxes and sitting on top, not caring one bit for the aggressive behaviour of the others. And he is all alone. So, I took the boxes down. I will not host to them, and the bluebirds will be better off finding a quieter yard. This makes me livid. Last year we had tree swallows nest in one box, lay 4 eggs, and on the 6th day a small group of house sparrows (all males) came and destroyed the eggs and tried cornering the female swallow in the box to kill her. A quick emergency call to Cornell said to take the box down. Argh. I was so excited. :C

Before ANY of our fellow UK birders get their dander up on rescueing the reputation of the infamous HOSP, please read carefully that Lady 19C advocates PASSIVE control over her bluebird houses. What she states is simple fact on what the HOSP does to excersise his right to procreate. I am astounded here that with both the TRES and the BB claiming both of your nest boxes that the male HOSP was able to win the battle. That's the supposed benefit of having two boxes up. I would have handled the situation similarly as I am not an ACTIVE (ie: killing) controller of the HOSP population, and commend your sympathies.
So as not to bore anyone here, I will send you a PM on my set up, and perhaps that might work also for you.
shelley

I've had a bluebird house out for about 2 weeks now. I'm not sure I hung it facing the right direction. I believe mine is oriented towards the south. I've seen bluebirds around the house twice now, but only fleetingly. Any suggestions?

Mine were facing south, too, so that is okay. We get rain and wind from the other three directions, so south seemed best, and they loved it. Is you area around the blueboxes lawn? They don't like trees, bushes, flowers, or anything nearby. My closest tree is a good 500 or more feet off. Of course, now the boxes are down and I am thoroughly frustrated. Shelly..got your PM, thank you! I think I will go to the local birdstore and see what I can find out. Will you please PM me the phone number of the person you mentioned with the PVC boxes? Thanks! The bluebirds are still here, waiting for boxes to go back up! Poor babies. :( Dang house sparrows. I can't believe them. Weird thing, too, is next door tree swallows always nest in my neighbour's mail box and are successful! The house sparrows don't bother them in there. Maybe I should set up a bunch of mail boxes all over my yard! ;)

I have my boxes facing East and NorthEast, that is because most weather patterns in the spring/summer are coming UP from the south and from the west. A good spring rain or summer shower could get inside your box more easily and threaten the life of a nest. The worst direction to face would be west.
shelley
I PM Steve's number to you. Good Luck, Bluebirds take to the PVC boxes faster than they do the wood ones in my experience.
Keep me posted.

|=(|
Lady19thC said:
Mine were facing south, too, so that is okay. We get rain and wind from the other three directions, so south seemed best, and they loved it. Is you area around the blueboxes lawn? They don't like trees, bushes, flowers, or anything nearby. My closest tree is a good 500 or more feet off. Of course, now the boxes are down and I am thoroughly frustrated. Shelly..got your PM, thank you! I think I will go to the local birdstore and see what I can find out. Will you please PM me the phone number of the person you mentioned with the PVC boxes? Thanks! The bluebirds are still here, waiting for boxes to go back up! Poor babies. :( Dang house sparrows. I can't believe them. Weird thing, too, is next door tree swallows always nest in my neighbour's mail box and are successful! The house sparrows don't bother them in there. Maybe I should set up a bunch of mail boxes all over my yard! ;)

I definately have more trees in my yard than you do. I had considered the distance between trees in our yard as pretty far apart, it seems I was mistaken. We have about 15 or so hardwoods at the edge of a small patch of woods. I think I should move the bird house to the front yard which has only two or three trees and they are many yards apart. Just won't be as easy to watch there. |=(|

:t: I moved the bluebird house yesterday, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I also saw a single bluebird yesterday a few lots down. Hope is not lost!

Is it because they are starting to nest and breed that I never see them anymore? I've seen a lot of Eastern Bluebirds back in January and February, but I never see them during the spring or summer.

Do you have bluebird boxes up? Or have access to a "trail"? That's what it's all about now....nesting and nesting and maybe more nesting. Unless you offer something of interest to them, they will find it else where, as they are rather picky about what they nest in.
shelley

shelley810 said:
Do you have bluebird boxes up? Or have access to a "trail"? That's what it's all about now....nesting and nesting and maybe more nesting. Unless you offer something of interest to them, they will find it else where, as they are rather picky about what they nest in.
shelley
Hiya Shelley. Yes, indeed, but what exactly are their nesting requirements? Surely just putting boxes up won't be enough? From my vague memories of where I've seen Bluebirds in the nesting season I would assume they'd prefer fairly open ground with access to cover - but not toooo open. Then again, at other times I've seen them in very exposed places. I admit I've never really thought about it and would be interested to learn more.

Bluetail said:
Hiya Shelley. Yes, indeed, but what exactly are their nesting requirements? Surely just putting boxes up won't be enough? From my vague memories of where I've seen Bluebirds in the nesting season I would assume they'd prefer fairly open ground with access to cover - but not toooo open. Then again, at other times I've seen them in very exposed places. I admit I've never really thought about it and would be interested to learn more.

Good morning to you Jason...not sleeping well or you just an "early bird"?
I didn't want to overstate an answer to Marcus if he was just wondering why he doesn't see any right now. If he doesn't have ANY of the above mentioned requirements, then that is the answer, but if he does, THEN I would have done my normal overstated blah blah blah, which I do when I'm excited about something, wondering about something, happy to chat with someone something, blah blah blah.....
to be continued
shelley

Hi Shelley

No, just late to bed tonight (this morning over here)! ;)

Yeah, I see what you mean. I'd still be interested to hear from anyone on this, though. As it happens, I've had a fair amount of luck seeing them when I've been Stateside, but I don't get over the pond often enough to know their habits intimately. They always give me a buzz, so having a good idea of their habitat preferences is useful. Every little bit helps.

If you would like to tempt a bluebird into your yard for nesting, I personally recommend the Steve Gilbertson PVC bluebird boxes....but there are a whole host of other styles that work quite well. As a general rule, the little blues prefer 5'-7' off ground where alot of short grass is available. They like to perch above and grab when they see something below (like grubs) so fencing, a tree or wire should be near boxes, but NOT ever near shrubbery or woodsy areas. The entrance hole should be 1 9/16", inset floor so you won't have wicking effect from rain, one side removeable or moveable for cleaning and monitoring. Upper vent holes are necessary. Pole mount as opposed to nailing on fence post or tree is a better safe guard against predators. Facing east to northeast is best, some face south and do well, never have hole face west.
The best enticement of all, is mealworms (medium size) they cannot resist and take to a feed dish in the blink of an eye. They are chronic bathers, so a good replenished bird bath is great. I think it is best to mount 2 boxes 25' apart, one for a choice and two, another bird that takes to the same type of box is the tree swallows, and they will nest near each other and protect the whole territory together.
That's it in a nutshell....I could go on forever on this (naw, that's a lie, not forever, but atleast till my eyes drop and I go to sleep!)
Birds around my home....
Now that's good music.
shelley

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back